• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This would never happen at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2763278

UF women fire Peck, to step aside at season's end

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida women's basketball coach Carolyn Peck was fired Monday, one day after the Gators lost their 13th consecutive game.

Athletic director Jeremy Foley said Peck will finish the rest of the season, then step aside as he begins searching for a replacement. Peck led Purdue to the 1999 national title.

Foley plucked Peck from the WNBA's Orlando Miracle in 2002 with hopes she would put Florida on the same level with Southeastern Conference powers Tennessee, Georgia and LSU.

It never happened.

The Gators went 69-74 in Peck's five seasons, including a 22-45 mark in conference play. She led Florida to NCAA Tournament berths in 2004 and 2006 and the WNIT in 2005.

But the Gators are 6-20 this season and 0-11 in the league.

"After appraising our women's basketball program over the past few seasons and seeing where we are today, it is evident that a change of coaching personnel is needed," Foley said Monday. "This was a very difficult decision that came after much thought and evaluation. Coach Peck is a talented person with great qualities. She tried very hard to make it work here at Florida, but for whatever reasons, the program hasn't flourished."

Peck thanked Foley for the opportunity, and said she understood his decision.

"The program has not reached the level where we had envisioned it being five years ago," Peck said. "For me, the game is not just about the wins and losses. It's about the development of the players, and I have seen some great improvements from the young women I have coached."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

When Jose fernandez heads up there you will. That's where Jose will be next year

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

"The program has not reached the level where we had envisioned it being five years ago," Peck said. "For me, the game is not just about the wins and losses. It's about the development of the players, and I have seen some great improvements from the young women I have coached."

She would have lasted here

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Who cares about UF?

My gut tells me Jose is gone, but I still stand by my original statement, "Who cares about UF?" This isn't a relevant topic right now, so it should me moved to the state of Fl board.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

You're right JEWBULL, it would never happen at USF.  It's the Gator coach, it has to happen at UF.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

Jose is not going anyhwhere, he loves this program and the last two games have seen a big increase in attendance.  he will be back next year.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

UF can waive the $$ around and get many people to change their tune.  A good quality women's coach is hard to find, so your coach will definitely be on their wish list.