• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OCS Rumors Swirling

They don't even need the land at the Unversity Mall.  That campus has so much green space it doesn't even know what to do with it.

My guess is that they are going to put it across the street from the sun dome - right along fowler avenue...

**BZZZZ** Wrong. Thank you for playing.

That is where the Patel Center for Global Solutions will be located.  They will be starting to build that this year.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The mall could be purchased but the Sears there would still not be owned by USF as Sears/Kmart own their parking lot and storefront.  That store also believe it or not is one of the more profittable stores in its district and i dont see it moving until a new mall is made near the new tampa wesley chaple area.  

One thing to keep in mind. If they build classrooms in the stadium, the state will be chipping in buckets of cash. That's how FSU got DC stadium built. As long as classrooms are in, it's gold. I seem to remember that the FSU cooking classes are in the stadium...no joke! Any FSU  folks please collaborate.   Reaper

I don't think so.

This rumor persists because the Legislature technically appropriates Capital Improvement Trust Fund money, which is collected from student fees to build non-academic space.  The University Center is part-student union (with offices and meeting rooms), and used CITF money as part of the construction.  FSU also raised a lot of private money for the facade.

Classroom buildings must be classroom buildings to get Public Education Capital Outlay dollars.  Having a class there does not meet the requirement.

See the pinned post for a description of financing options for an OCS.

The mall could be purchased but the Sears there would still not be owned by USF as Sears/Kmart own their parking lot and storefront.  That store also believe it or not is one of the more profittable stores in its district and i dont see it moving until a new mall is made near the new tampa wesley chaple area.  

Correct.  Burlington Coat Factory, Macys and Dillards also own their own buildings.  Sears also owns the service center out front, and Burling owns the former Montgomery Ward service center in the back.

This will continue to be a mall for at least 10 more years.  Until the new Wesley Chapel mall is able to undermine the stores at University Mall.  Tampa Bay Center took time to die.  So did East Lake Mall.  Don't hold your breath on this one.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

It wouldn't be worth it anyways with Bruce B. Downs between the main part of campus and the mall.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

I purhased the mall.....

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

if a stadium was built there, they would probably have to build some kind of massive walkway over bruce b downs from USF...I know there is one at the medical school but students and people who tailgate at USF wouldnt be able to use that one.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

Gee! Don't ya think if the stadium was built on the mall property people would be tailgating in the parking lots surrounding the stadim?.

People park and tailgate at HCC and then cross Dale Mabry (much wider and busier than BBD) to get to the RJ without a bridge.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I hope they auction off rides on the bulldozers that tear down the mall.  I'd gladly pay $100 to push down the Disney Store.  

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

USF could not have purchased the mall in secret, but some USF boosters could.

However, I will say that any purchase by the University or even the Foundation (which is probably how the mall would be purchased, if it were) would have a more public record.

Jim, Didn't Walt Disney secretly make large land deals in orlando in order to build the Magic Kingdom???    

Damnit man, Let a guy like me dream a little huh ?    ;) ;) ;)