• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Updated Rivals Top 100 Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

As of 1/27/07 USF has 6 players in the top 100 Florida.  We are in the running for maybe 4 more.

73 Terrell McClain

82 Charlton Sinclair

86 Calvin Sutton

98 Tyson Butler

99 Claude Davis

100 Alton Voss

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

go bulls!

over the next 5 years would love to see us get our pick of the top 50.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Rankings from recruiting sites dont matter.....

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Steve,

I do not think they are the be all-end all of recruiting but I put the information up for discussion purposes.  Also to help me along on my slow trek towards 40,000 posts.   :)

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Steve,

I do not think they are the be all-end all of recruiting but I put the information up for discussion purposes.  Also to help me along on my slow trek towards 40,000 posts.   :)

i know i was just doing it in a mocking way since everyone here posts them all the time but says they dont matter.  I should have added one of these  ;) to my post.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I know most say that now, and I agree to an extent, but I will put my life savings on the line that down the line when we grab a few 4 and 5 stars, with a top 25 class, most people that care about recruiting on this site will be gushing about how great those players are and how we have a top 25 class.

Just teh way it works I guess.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That is probably true... but at the same time, it matters more what you do with the talent than how talented they are.  Getting 4 and 5 star athletes means squat if your coach can't get anything out of them.  I know that when we start getting more of the big recruits, we have the coach that will find a way to get 6 or 7 stars out of those 4 and 5 stars.  He's already getting 4 or 5 out of 2 and 3 stars, imho.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

That is probably true... but at the same time, it matters more what you do with the talent than how talented they are.  Getting 4 and 5 star athletes means squat if your coach can't get anything out of them.  I know that when we start getting more of the big recruits, we have the coach that will find a way to get 6 or 7 stars out of those 4 and 5 stars.  He's already getting 4 or 5 out of 2 and 3 stars, imho.

I agree.  I'll just be more excited to get better athletes, even if you don't really know until they play, because we seem to be doing a great job already.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

Let's not get too carried away.  Leavitt is doing a FANTASTIC job maximizing the abilities of the kids we have brought in here, but no way we are turning water into wine by any means.  In general, you can take a 2 or 3 star guy and with GREAT coaching you can turn him into a GOOD player, but there's a ceiling (in general) that those players can reach and good is as good as it gets.  For instance, you aren't going to take a 2 star QB and turn him into Vince Young who was a 5 star when he was recruited.  The reason many of the guys who are 5 stars are 5 stars bc they have the measurables.  They have the height, weight, speed etc.  Things that are God given in many cases.  A guy 5'11" can't make himself 6'3" and a guy who has perfect technique who can only run a 4.6 40 can't magically increase his speed to a 4.4 40 bc he works hard.  

Leavitt has been a better job than I think anyone ever thought, but let's not look through our homer glasses too much.  Recruiting services are generally right the majority of the time and the way you build a BCS champion is to stockpile these guys.  How many of our 2 and 3 star guys are in the NFL?  How many were invited to the Senior Bowl?

Now, look back at the last 6 years of USCs recruiting classes and see how many of those guys are playing in the NFL right now!  No matter how great a coach Leavitt may be, there's only so much a coach can do to improve a player.  

The good news is we're getting better and better recruiting classes and I can't wait to see what Leavitt can do with more and more talent with his coaching and schemes.