• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rod Smith Replaced!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt Names Greg Gregory to Replace Rod Smith as Offensive Coordinator  

Courtesy: USF

Release: 01/22/2007

TAMPA, FLA. (January 22, 2007) -- Greg Gregory has been promoted to offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and graduate assistant Mike Simmonds has been named the offensive line coach at USF, head coach Jim Leavitt announced tonight. Gregory replaces Rod Smith, who has resigned his position, and Simmonds replaces Greg Frey, who was named the offensive line coach at West Virginia earlier this evening.

“Greg Gregory was a steadying influence on our offense throughout the past two seasons,†said Leavitt. “I have absolute confidence that he will step right in and lead our offense with strong command. He has a great deal of experience, and we’re really looking forward to him taking over our offense.â€Â

“Mike Simmonds proved himself all throughout the 2006 season while working in his graduate assistant role. He is very deserving of taking over the offensive line position, and his knowledge of the game and work ethic will be great assets.â€Â

Gregory enjoys a wealth of top-level experience, including 13 seasons as an offensive coordinator and two as a head coach, all at the collegiate level. He first joined USF in 2005 as tight ends coach, after he had been an offensive coordinator for four successive seasons at Ohio (2000-2003) and Richmond (2004). He was the head coach at Missouri Southern State in 1998 and 1999.

Prior to Missouri Southern, Gregory had been on the staff at Army for 16 years, including seven (1991-97) as associate head coach and a total of nine (1989-97) as offensive coordinator. He also worked with receivers, running backs and quarterbacks at various stages in his 16 years at Army.

Simmonds joined the Bulls in 2006 after an ultra-successful career as a high school head coach in Tampa. He compiled a 75-29 record in eight seasons at Jefferson High, where he led the Dragons to the state championship game on 2002 and 2004. After a 2-8 debut in 1998, Simmonds led his program to seven consecutive appearances in the state playoffs. He was 17-7 in his postseason competition.

A graduate of Indiana State, Simmonds was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1987 (10th round), where he was a starting guard in 1989. Including time with Tampa Bay and San Diego, Simmonds was credited with four NFL seasons.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=751477

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

I have always thought that Rod Smith was a great young coach in the college ranks.  To even contend for a conference title with Pat Julmiste at the helm says something to me personally.

I think this is a big loss for the program.

I remember all the naysayers last year - trouncing on Rod Smith.  

I think this  year he proved his worth with a young quality QB..

Then again many of you support Mac -- so that says it all.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I have always thought that Rod Smith was a great young coach in the college ranks.  To even contend for a conference title with Pat Julmiste at the helm says something to me personally.

I think this is a big loss for the program.

I remember all the naysayers last year - trouncing on Rod Smith.  

I think this  year he proved his worth with a young quality QB..

Then again many of you support Mac -- so that says it all.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good god that's funny. The only reason we contended in 2005 was because of a very good defense and #2 in the backfield. PJ did well at times and crappy at times, but he was not the reason we were contenders.

Grothe certainly showed what the offense could become over the next 3 years, but Rod was the one dumb enough to call his number on running plays when were were sufficiently ahead in a couple of games. He also did this after Matt had gone out of a couple of games earlier in the season. That was just the epitome of not being smart right there.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Grothe certainly showed what the offense could become over the next 3 years, but Rod was the one dumb enough to call his number on running plays when were were sufficiently ahead in a couple of games. He also did this after Matt had gone out of a couple of games earlier in the season. That was just the epitome fo not being smart right there.

No, it's because we didn't have a consistent running back. It's called putting the ball in the hands of your biggest playmaker...

How quick members of this board forget that if it weren't for Matt's legs the WVU might have ended differently.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

HO HO HO -- HA HA HA...

Smith was coordinator for 2 years I believe.  Was QB coach before that.

How about the name Blackwell, Grothe etc..

I guess he doesn't get any credit for any of those guys.

He became o-coordinator and we hung with Miami - depsite a QB who in my eyes was the worst this school has seen yet.

So the fact that A-Hall was one of the league leaders in rushing has nothing to do with the guy calling the plays.

Smith gets no credit for 2 years where this school won 15 games and beat the #9 ranked and #5 ranked team in the country.  Plus smoked a very good rutgers team in NJ in 2005.

It is you who is the idiot my friend.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

I think its amazing that people on this board complain about Rod Smith eventhough we went to a bowl game BOTH years he was o-cooridnator.  WE were in the top quarter of the league years.

We had Program Building wins over Louisville and West Va while he was calling the plays.  

You guys just make NO sense.  None.

Yet you set around here and pony up for Mac -- yet he has produced nothing compared to Smith.

I am big Rod Smith Guy.  Always have.  Always will.

Thanks for the wins over Louisville and West VA -- rod.

I wish you luck my brother.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Ari,

Which QBs did Rod Smith develop? Blackwell showed us what he had as a freshmen. Grothe has showed us the same type of inate ability. As a QB coach Rod Smith NEVER developed any of our QBs. See Pat Julmiste, Ronnie Banks, and Courtney D, Carlton Hill, etc.

I'll go with any offensive coordinator and be just as happy as I was with Smith.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

HO HO HO -- HA HA HA...

Smith was coordinator for 2 years I believe.  Was QB coach before that.

How about the name Blackwell, Grothe etc..

I guess he doesn't get any credit for any of those guys.

He became o-coordinator and we hung with Miami - depsite a QB who in my eyes was the worst this school has seen yet.

So the fact that A-Hall was one of the league leaders in rushing has nothing to do with the guy calling the plays.

Smith gets no credit for 2 years where this school won 15 games and beat the #9 ranked and #5 ranked team in the country.  Plus smoked a very good rutgers team in NJ in 2005.

It is you who is the idiot my friend.

We smoked Rutgers in '05 thanks to something like 6 turnovers caused by our strong defense.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe certainly showed what the offense could become over the next 3 years, but Rod was the one dumb enough to call his number on running plays when were were sufficiently ahead in a couple of games. He also did this after Matt had gone out of a couple of games earlier in the season. That was just the epitome fo not being smart right there.

No, it's because we didn't have a consistent running back. It's called putting the ball in the hands of your biggest playmaker...

How quick members of this board forget that if it weren't for Matt's legs the WVU might have ended differently.

Bull****.

IF Rod had pulled his head out of his rear end we would have won at Cincinatti and put up a fight against Louisville.   This is the best news for the offense since Andre Hall decided to don the green and gold.   Loosing Frey hurts, but Rod had to go.  

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

You guys give no credit.

I guess the brilliant play calls against Louisville and West VA -- are just pure luck.

The guy had a terrible QB and managed to take us to a bowl game.  If we don't beat LU -- we don't go to Charlotte.

This year -- we go 9-4.

Ridiculous.