• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

carlton hill scout.com update

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

You want to know what rankings mean?  Here's a fine definition.

USF was hot and heavy after a great MLB named Aaron Gresham, he was a 2-star recruit in scout.com.  Aaron just accepted a scholarship offer to FSU...so i guess this begs the question to smazza is Gresham a good recruit now?  Or does the fact FSU wants him matter?  Put aside the stars because he was good enough for FSU, UL, and many other big schools.

When does a star ranking not matter?  

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

The star ranking doesn't matter if the coach and staff bringing the athletes on board say so.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

Hell, if he is a 4-star receiver, why did we even try him at QB???

I think he was only a 3-star QB...

Hopefully at the old community college he learned how to hold on to the ball....My last memories are from Charlotte watching him funble the ball away...

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I dont think the star thing is too important about the potential but it is cool to bring in a 4 star recruit and 5 star.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

yeah, scout has us above the big east champion UL Cardinals.  whoopie.  i'm not going to complain about positive rankings, such as mike ford being a 5-star on rivals, because ignorant people (such as smazza) look at them.  I just want to agree (again) that recruiting rankings don't matter  :)

only people that dont do well in star ranking recruiting call it ignorant

i guess when you dont have facts on your side you call names windbagne

There are too many schools that do well despite signing lots of 2 star players, and too many that scrape their way to 7-8 wins despite having 4 star average talent, whatever that is.  It's meaningless.  It's just a way to sell more stuff to the masses.  Good coaches know who the good players are and go after them.  The media just tries half-assedly to keep up, usually proclaiming whoever name schools go after to be the best recruits, regardless of whether that is reality.  I could probably make equally accurate recruiting rankings myself.  Just give me some 40/shuttle/weight stats and what school is recruiting a player, and I can cough you up some stars the same way.  Money.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

Hell, if he is a 4-star receiver, why did we even try him at QB???

I think he was only a 3-star QB...

Hopefully at the old community college he learned how to hold on to the ball....My last memories are from Charlotte watching him funble the ball away...

grothe was a 3-star QB, and so is Voss  ;)

I dunno, we are so deep at WR i'd like to give hill a shot at backup QB.  punt returns isn't a bad idea.  either way i'm excited about this season and how we use all the talent we have returning and incoming.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Carlton Hill did not deserve even 3 stars as a QB.  He looked no better in the JC National Championship game at QB than he did as he fumbled and stumbled around the field for us two seasons ago.

Tremendous athlete, wasted arm strength, but I sure hope he gets back here, keeps his nose/report cards clean, and turns into an All Big East WR.

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Hill should run back all kicks and punts... He should also be a slash type receiver player...  I think the kid comes back in good shape with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove... He needs open space to be really effective kicks and punts are the way to go... Also if he can play 3-5 downs a game at QB just sneaking it that would be fine.. I want Matt to be healthy the entire year.. I hope when the games get put away Matt takes some snaps off... Matt is an absolute stud and we should rest him whenever possible..

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Hill should run back all kicks and punts... He should also be a slash type receiver player...  I think the kid comes back in good shape with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove... He needs open space to be really effective kicks and punts are the way to go... Also if he can play 3-5 downs a game at QB just sneaking it that would be fine.. I want Matt to be healthy the entire year.. I hope when the games get put away Matt takes some snaps off... Matt is an absolute stud and we should rest him whenever possible..

He returned one kick for a TD in the first four games playing receiver at JC before he moved to QB.  Also had a 100 yard game receiving.  Hatten said the same thing everyone said when Hill arrived at USF that he's a freak of an athlete, he could be a good QB, but a GREAT WR that plays on Sunday's, or maybe a DB.

Now that Hill has his head straight and is not wanting QB then he's the type of athlete any team would want.  A guy that you can bring in and put that natural athleticism on the field and let him do his thing.  No one that has ever seen him play or workout or stood next to Hill would say anything other than the fact the guy is a four star athlete.