• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2007/2008 Bowl Tie-Ins

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I really think our bowl deals will improve the next go around.  The BE has DRAMATICALLY improved over what it was thought they would be.  Even if travel numbers don't improve significantly (which they should), the conference is soo much better than when they put these deals together.  Think about it, do you think these bowls are going to want to keep tie ins with CUSA and the Mac, or with the BE.  Most cdoa and mac teams draw terrible, worse than BE teams usually, and the be is a much higher profile conference now.  I don't expect us to have to share as many bowls next go around.

Outside of the Liberty Bowl what C-USA or MAC bowl game would you want? The Liberty Bowl probably will never dump the C-USA unless Memphis left it, it is a bowl game strongly tied to the school. The only way we get in that game is if the SEC drops it.

As for the posts talking about adding bowl games, it could happen, but when the International Bowl fails (which it will). However, northern cities simply struggle when it comes to bowl games, even if indoors. The Motor City Bowl always seems to struggle; The MPC Computers Bowl has survived because home team Boise State has played in it numerous times.

The other northern attempts the Seattle Bowl lasted two years; the Garden State Bowl at Giants Stadium lasted 4. It's just hard to convince people to travel somewhere cold for a bowl game.

Well, we're sharing bowls with the Gator, Sun, Mieneke, Houston, Papa Johns?, and probably another one that I am forgetting.  I expect the sharing arangements to go away the next go around, because Mike Tranghese will have leverage, and put the screws to these bowls to either take the be or leave it (except for ND, they will still be in arrangement).  With several years of top 10 teams under their belts, the be will be able to pull it off.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

please stop adding bowl games.  not every team should make a bowl game.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580
  • Days Won:  0

Imagine this bowl line up:

BCS

Sun

Meineke

International

Texas --> CUSA

Birmingham --> MAC

Question:  Was the Navy/Mieneke deal just for 2006.  If not, is this plausible:

BCS - Big East Champ

Sun - Notre Dame

Mieneke - Navy

International - Big East #2

Texas - CUSA

Birmingham - MAC

Question:

How long are the current agreements in tact for?

It's possible (and obviously easier for me to think this as an outsider) that a best case scenerio, if the contracts were for 5+ years, that you hope for Notre Dame and Navy to do their parts causing the Big East #3 to pray for an at-large spot somewhere so that it FORCES Tranghese and friends to make a proactive move before the 08 season.  That could be a better long-term result than 4 years of 4-5 bids to places like El Paso and Canada.

That, of course, assumes the whole bowl deal thing is something you're stuck with for a term of 4 more years or longer.  The Big East is obviously in a much better position than it was 12 monthes ago with the success of Rutgers and USF and the bowl sweep.

If TSA and the Outback Bowl ever decide to try and do it it could happen. It's a lot of work and is expensive to do one game. Past success of dual hosting has always been few and far between.

Recently Phoenix and Orlando have pulled it off well with San Diego doing decent the last two years.

It could happen, but I wouldn't go holding my breath for Tampa and TSA to add another game to the bowl lineup.

Don't forget ... Phoenix hosted THREE bowl games this year:

- Insight

- Fiesta

- National Championship Game

A 2nd bowl game in Tampa could happen.  The problem becomes the Buccaneers.  In Phoenix, the games are not played in the same stadium (Insight = Sun Devil Stadium - ASU, Fiesta = U of Phoenix Stadium - Cardinals).  In Orlando, there is no NFL team.  I don't know if the NFL would be willing to bend their schedule around two college games at Raymond James.

At best, that would mean a pre-Christmas game for the 2nd bowl in Tampa.  Or trying to fit a full-size football field inside the Tropicana Field -- and the cost of renovating the stadium might prohibit that effort.

Imagine this bowl line up:

BCS

Sun

Meineke

International

Texas --> CUSA

Birmingham --> MAC

Question:  Was the Navy/Mieneke deal just for 2006.  If not, is this plausible:

BCS - Big East Champ

Sun - Notre Dame

Mieneke - Navy

International - Big East #2

Texas - CUSA

Birmingham - MAC

Question:

How long are the current agreements in tact for?

It's possible (and obviously easier for me to think this as an outsider) that a best case scenerio, if the contracts were for 5+ years, that you hope for Notre Dame and Navy to do their parts causing the Big East #3 to pray for an at-large spot somewhere so that it FORCES Tranghese and friends to make a proactive move before the 08 season.  That could be a better long-term result than 4 years of 4-5 bids to places like El Paso and Canada.

That, of course, assumes the whole bowl deal thing is something you're stuck with for a term of 4 more years or longer.  The Big East is obviously in a much better position than it was 12 monthes ago with the success of Rutgers and USF and the bowl sweep.

The contract between Navy & Meineke was for 2006 only.  The rest of the Big East bowl contracts were for four years - the same as the new BCS... which is about the same as almost every other bowl in the country.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

The Liberty Bowl is a dump.  I saw 311 at the Mid-South Coliseum back in March and that entire area is ghetto and trashy.

I hope that we never go to Memphis.  I would even take Legion Field over the Liberty Bowl.  (yes it is that bad)

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097

please stop adding bowl games.  not every team should make a bowl game.

In my plan, I wouldn't add any more to the amount we have now, I would just relocate ones that have the potential of being duds

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097

If TSA and the Outback Bowl ever decide to try and do it it could happen. It's a lot of work and is expensive to do one game. Past success of dual hosting has always been few and far between.

Recently Phoenix and Orlando have pulled it off well with San Diego doing decent the last two years.

It could happen, but I wouldn't go holding my breath for Tampa and TSA to add another game to the bowl lineup.

Don't forget ... Phoenix hosted THREE bowl games this year:

- Insight

- Fiesta

- National Championship Game

A 2nd bowl game in Tampa could happen.  The problem becomes the Buccaneers.  In Phoenix, the games are not played in the same stadium (Insight = Sun Devil Stadium - ASU, Fiesta = U of Phoenix Stadium - Cardinals).  In Orlando, there is no NFL team.  I don't know if the NFL would be willing to bend their schedule around two college games at Raymond James.

At best, that would mean a pre-Christmas game for the 2nd bowl in Tampa.  Or trying to fit a full-size football field inside the Tropicana Field -- and the cost of renovating the stadium might prohibit that effort.

Believe me, a football field can fit inside of the Trop....as a member of the HOT, I marched an exhibition there for some big HS band competition.  The field was oriented down the 1st base line.  Both teams sidelines could be on the outfield side of the football field.  I think in bowls played in San Fran, there are temporary seats on the outfield sideline as well.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038

Fooseball at the Trop?

nahhh...

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The Trop can hold a football field. There is a configuration fot somewhere, however, it just looks funky.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The Liberty Bowl is a dump.  I saw 311 at the Mid-South Coliseum back in March and that entire area is ghetto and trashy.

I hope that we never go to Memphis.  I would even take Legion Field over the Liberty Bowl.  (yes it is that bad)

It's not so much the stadium and its location, it's the quality of the game. The Birmingham and International Bowls are 3rd and 4th place teams from non BCS conferences, there is only so many times you can play those teams before fans get bored.