• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN article says USF may be #2 in the state

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  166

When Urban Meyer raised the crystal national championship trophy high above his head in Glendale, Ariz., Bobby Bowden and Randy Shannon must have been somewhere ordering a double.

Could things be any worse for Bowden and Shannon, Miami's first-time head coach? While their programs are grappling with an uncomfortable rebuilding process and the stench of irrelevancy, Florida has become the Beyonce of college football.

Never before has Florida been so it ... and Miami and Florida State been so not it.

For years, much to the delight of college football fans, these three programs have battled for supremacy in not only the Sunshine State, but all of college football. But now that Florida is the reigning champion in both football and men's basketball, it's not even an argument as to which program is the best.

"I know where I would want to go," Meyer said. "Am I allowed to say that for recruiting? Good. Say that again. Print that. I know where I would want to go."

It's definitely strange to see this significant shift in college football. The Gators have never been this much better than Miami and FSU. They've been playing a serious game of one-upmanship for as long as most of us can remember. The Gators beat Florida State handily to win their only other national title in 1996. The four teams that defined the 1990s were Miami, Florida State, Florida and Nebraska. And now the Gators appear to have the potential to run off a Nebraska-like dynasty (the Cornhuskers won three national titles in a four-year span).

But not even the most delusional Gators fan could have envisioned a scenario where UF would win the national title the same year FSU and Miami played in meaningless, second-rate bowls. FSU in the Emerald Bowl? Miami in the MPC Computers Bowl? C'monnnnn. Some Florida fan must have a lamp, a genie and a Ouija board.

But not even the most delusional Gators fan could have envisioned a scenario where UF would win the national title the same year FSU and Miami played in meaningless, second-rate bowls. FSU in the Emerald Bowl? Miami in the MPC Computers Bowl? C'monnnnn. Some Florida fan must have a lamp, a genie and a Ouija board.

The occasional down year is one thing. But Miami and Florida State have slipped to the unfathomable and unrecognizable.

Who knows what in the name of Luther Campbell is going on with the Hurricanes? And Bowden better hope hiring respected offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher to replace his son, Jeff, will be a remedy for the Seminoles' stagnant offense. Because if it isn't, the cries for Bowden to retire will turn into full-fledged screams.

[highlight]In fact, Miami and FSU have become such afterthoughts you could argue the second-best program in the state is South Florida. The Bulls are 15-10 over the past two seasons. During that same time span, Miami has gone 16-9, and FSU 15-11.[/highlight]

And any other year, nobody would care that the Seminoles and Hurricanes have middling basketball teams -- but these days it's just another reminder of their collective mediocrity. Florida has become the gold standard for college sports, which should make FSU and Miami somewhat squeamish.

But here's the really bad news for Miami and FSU: Meyer is 42 years old, and he would be a fool to even contemplate going to another college program. Six years into his head coaching career, Meyer has, for the moment, usurped Jim Tressel and Pete Carroll.

It's more than possible that Florida could repeat in both football and basketball. The Gators still have the most complete team in college hoops. And Meyer won this title with a quarterback that wasn't a perfect fit for his offense, so just imagine what the Gators will do next season with Tim Tebow, who Meyer handpicked to become the next Alex Smith.

"Our guys have a lot of fun playing," Meyer said. "What's the future look like? I think it looks really good. That's part of the reason why our staff went to Florida, because you can recruit the best players in the country at that place."

Randy and Bobby, just start swigging straight from the bottle.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Nice mention but i do see FSU rising back to their usual top 15 form next year as they were VERY young this year.  

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

He who has quality QB and a great fast defense will dominate on the college level. The next three years will be an enjoyable ride as a USF alum. F*ck UF!

Guest BasketBull.

A look ahead to 2007

By Tom Dienhart - SportingNews link

There are no early-season 2007 nonconference games that match that game's appeal, but make sure you circle the following dates on your fall calendar.

September 1: Tennessee at California

September 8: TCU at Texas

September 15: Southern California at Nebraska, Notre Dame at Michigan, [highlight]South Florida at Auburn[/highlight]

September 29: Alabama vs. Florida State at Jacksonville

Scarface_03-over.jpg "First, you get the wins, then you get the respect, and then you get the recruits."

I would say that Miami will still falter until they can land a decent QB... they will be bowl eligible, and might stretch and win their division...

However, I would expect FSU to be in the BCS next year.  Jimbo Fisher will bring a solid offensive scheme -- and build it around the Lee-Weatherford QB combo ( I think Lee would have the better chance as he is more like LSU's QB than Drew.)  FSU might have problems with only five home games on their schedule (neutral site vs Alabama took a home slot)... but I still see them at 10-3 or 11-2 after the ACC Championship game.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642
  • Days Won:  0

Nice mention but i do see FSU rising back to their usual top 15 form next year as they were VERY young this year.  

We weren't young this year?

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Bowden has one foot in the grave... his program, while not getting into fistfights yet, (and I stress YET) is starting to spiral out of control.  His players do not show discipline on or off the field, a problem that has been there for years.  That goes all the way to the top.  Add to that the behind-his-back firing of Jeff, and it appear as if the boosters are more in control than he is.  You can tell in his interviews that he isn't enjoying coaching like he used to.  He will have a JoePa like resurgance maybe once more, but they probably won't make the BCS again.  Look for Bobby to retire soon.  That will spell doom for for FSU as there's only room for one good Sunshine State team in the ACC.  

On that note...

Miami has the best shot at making the comeback, it is Miami after all, never count them out.  However, they really screwed themselves in the recruiting picture by leaving the BE for the ACC.  Top high school kids from the Carolinas don't have the same incentives to leave for sunny florida as kids from the northeast do.  Miami made their program by supplementing their local speed with great key position players from up north.  Miami no longer plays in Pittsburgh, New Jersey, New York and West Virginia, we do.

UF will remain a power until Meyer gets bored and leaves for the NFL.  When you're at the top, there's only one way to go.

USF has the best shot at making a huge splash next year.  This is a VERY young team that seems to become more and more complete each season.  The schedule isn't easy, but USF will have a shot at beating every team on the plate next year.  They should be competing for a BE title, and maybe even more next season.  

GO BULLS!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

I really think we can make major strides in the media and the college football world in 2007.

Wished we could have got more of a mention in the article.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

Will Meyer be a one-hit wonder? Probably not because he will get good recruits from this year's NC.  At some point we will have to start recruiting out of state to keep up with the other big schools.    

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

except miami beat usf  that time frame

and usf has a 50 plus SOS