• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on the basketball coach

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Sorry Hermie, I only skim through your posts, was there a one-on-one challenge?  Okay.  Well I'd play that although I'm about 25 years removed from my playing days.  I'd need a week to get into "Hermie-shape."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

As for the coach, i dont like his approach.  From his bobby knight kind of disciplinary tactics, which only work for bobby knight, to his inability to recruit.  You cant treat guys like crap when they don't respect you.

Only works for Bobby Knight? What Bobby Knight teaches is discipline. If you think that Bobby Knight is the only coach in america who is a hard ass, you're SADLY mistaken.

What's even more ridiculous is that you're talking as if the winningest coach in the history of college basketball uses "tactics" that dont work!

This is obvious in the way players leave us all the time.....

All the time?

Who was the last player to leave?

Also ask yourself WHY they left.........and while you're at it, let me know where they are NOW.

Mac is in way over his head on his approach.  This approach might work in central/western michigan (i dont know where he came from because i never heard of him) where you recruit the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best players on a high school team but coaching and recruiting that way will not work in the BE.

Ask someone on the west coast about USF. Do you REALLY think this is a high profile job that  the 1st and 2nd best players on a high school team are dying to play for?!

I hate to say it but to have immediate success we should have tried to  or at least entertained the possibility of bringing in Bobby huggins.  K-state went from 6500 tix sold to 13000(luxury seat andall).  From a regular contract to a nike contract.

It all comes down to integrity. As a growing program, I would rather try and win the RIGHT way as opposed to the Huggins way. If Coach Mac is that guy, great. If not, then we'll find someone next year to replace him. Huggins didnt graduate ANYBODY at Cincinatti and everyone around the country knew it. Hell, he had more players with a criminal record than a college diploma.

Besides, Coach Mac had a Nike contract and uniforms before Huggins went to KState and before Jim Leavitt had them on his team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

What does what Long Dong or ari said about the hiring have to do with me?

8-)

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

I never came on this board when Mac was hired Bulliever.  I didn't even know this board existed until last year.  So that is pure B.S.

What I did say is that I personally believe that "race did play a factor in the hiring of Mac."

I believe that.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that assertation.  I am sorry you can only see that comment as racist and not my opinion

I think what really gets the pot stirred around here is the failure by many on this board to hold Mac accountable for any of his actions.  There is always a dock full of excuses for everything.  Some people actually think things are improving. (See MikeB's comments)

I think that is the divide between the so called darksiders and you.  I just challenge anyone to find a major university that would have kept this guy around after the pitiful performance he has shown over the last three years.

One of my suggestions has been that he was kept arond because he was Lee Roy Selmon's hire.  Selmon is a prolific fundraiser and a lynch pin within the athletic organization.  I truly think Mac would have been let go last year if 1.) woolard wasn't such a new hire 2.) mac wasn't hired by Lee Roy.

Regardless of how you think the negatives are repeated around here, the losing is more of a common occurance then my threads.

This guy is so undefendable it is just sad.  It makes me question peoples judgement to stand back and look at the lack of outrage on this board that surrounds this coaches performance.

This guy has lost 43 of 50 conference games since he has been here.  That is the most stark statistic out there.  You guys blame the step up in competition.  We were miserable in C-USA.  

I don't know what else to say.  I think you will defend USF at any cost.... and I think that is not only unproductive... its sad.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

What I did say is that I personally believe that "race did play a factor in the hiring of Mac."

I believe that.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that assertation.  I am sorry you can only see that comment as racist and not my opinion

I'm pretty sure that Brad will see that as both racist AND your opinion ..... Hopefully, it's the last straw.

I just challenge anyone to find a major university that would have kept this guy around after the pitiful performance he has shown over the last three years.

I'm sure we can find some black AD's that would have kept him around ... right, Ary?

One of my suggestions has been that he was kept arond because he was Lee Roy Selmon's hire.  Selmon is a prolific fundraiser and a lynch pin within the athletic organization.

And they both just happen to be black... right, Ary? 

I truly think Mac would have been let go last year if 1.) woolard wasn't such a new hire 2.) mac wasn't hired by Lee Roy.

3.) he's black ..... How could you leave that out, Ary??

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

This guy is so undefendable it is just sad.  It makes me question peoples judgement to stand back and look at the lack of outrage on this board that surrounds this coaches performance.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Bulleiver:

What were the "nice highs" you've witnessed since 1978?

Its my belief that we made the NCAA's twice (one and done both times).

Mac apologists on this board are intellectually dishonest when they slap a devout (and justifiably upset) USF BB fan down for "regurgitating" gripes about USF BB. . . . as I write this post, we have numerous threads about the Auburn football game, Ford and Marve et al.

Look at the coach, look at the team and look at the results . . . simply shameful.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

So pathetic --  you offer nothing in return.  You just sit around and call people racists.  It is as weak as they come.

You know nothing about me.  

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

Because people came on here and said the only reason he was hired was he was black Ari. Apparently it wasnt you when he was hired, but there was somebody who said it then IIRC.  He went from 7-21 to 21-7 in 3 years at his previous job. He worked for Lon Kruger. He was the up and coming coach to give a shot to that so many wanted at the time. He was hired before we knew we were going to be in the Big East. Again, as Trip as mentioned before, his first year was rebuilding there was nothing here to work with. He has made many mistakes w/ recruiting, etc. (I think as a floor coach he is much better than Greenberg ever was here). We have beaten more ranked teams than any other coach in USF history. But it does come to the point where something does need to happen. Again, we have more talent than we've had here in a long time this year. If we dont make the conference tournament this season, there WILL be a new head coach next year. (I think I'm going to save this, that way I can save myself the trouble of retyping it during/after every game).

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

I love that line of "there was nothing here to work with" when he came here.  Excuse #25 in the long list of excuses.

There was plenty to work with.  Maybe if he didn't run half the time off the court and worked to keep the senior leader Jimmy Baxter around we wouldn't' have had gone 7-21.

I honestly think that was the biggest mistake he made in his four years here.  Running everybody off the team, and then having barely anyone to fill the bench.