• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on the basketball coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  0

It should be clear we're getting better players. Nothing wrong with transfers. The best players only stay in college at most for two years anyway.

You gotta have players and Mac is starting to bring them in. Gransberry, Bozeman, Verdejo, Howard, and the new transfer from FSU, Holmes are quality players. By the end of the season we'll see them gel with the rest of the team so Mattis and Buckly will have something good to remember after their senior year.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

sorry the robots had to attack my honest assessment and once again make it a pissing match.

If you cannot handle anyone telling you that your post is regurgitated, a broken record, and boring, then perhaos you shouldn't post here.  That you sit here and cry about anyone telling you that your material is canned and has no propative value is hilarious.  What a whiner.

What mill are you going to be at on Monday morning?  I haven't yet figured out your obscure attack method, so please feel free to provide more info crybaby.

It should be clear we're getting better players. Nothing wrong with transfers. The best players only stay in college at most for two years anyway.

You gotta have players and Mac is starting to bring them in. Gransberry, Bozeman, Verdejo, Howard, and the new transfer from FSU, Holmes are quality players. By the end of the season we'll see them gel with the rest of the team so Mattis and Buckly will have something good to remember after their senior year.

This is part of the reason we're seeing improvement this year.

Jim I don't get it. Are you suggesting to cook RMC in a pot?

"Stirring the Pot" ... which was what Hawaii was doing.

It's like throwing raw meat into a lion's cage... sit back and watch the reaction...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

They will move this thread to the mad cow lounge, this is a forbidden topic.  

I am totally disgusted at our situation in basketball especially the last 4 years and it stems from the athletic department to the director, down the ranks to especially the coach.  As for the coach, i dont like his approach.  From his bobby knight kind of disciplinary tactics, which only work for bobby knight, to his inability to recruit.  You cant treat guys like crap when they don't respect you.  This is obvious in the way players leave us all the time and now even alumni who come back to help go running for the door.  Mac is in way over his head on his approach.  This approach might work in central/western michigan (i dont know where he came from because i never heard of him) where you recruit the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best players on a high school team but coaching and recruiting that way will not work in the BE.  believe me the class coming in next year so far isnt much more impressive, check out www.scout.com., subpar at best.  In all honesty, would you play for a head basketball coach you have never heard of?  maybe you would, but he would have to have 1 of 2 things going for him.  1) he would have to have a proven track record on paper, and its obvious mac does not.  2) If you never heard of him, he better have charisma comng out of his ears.  Sorry to say mac isnt very suave or salesman like.  I see zero light at the end of this tunnell for being able to be competitive and one day a force in the big east. Sure I can see he has improved our team from last year and our starters and transfers are better players than we have ever had, but its too little too late.  I hate to say it but to have immediate success we should have tried to  or at least entertained the possibility of bringing in Bobby huggins.  K-state went from 6500 tix sold to 13000(luxury seat andall).  From a regular contract to a nike contract.  it will be only a year or two when you see kids running around in kansas state uniforms.  That could have been us.  

We missed the boat but we dont need to sit in the corner with our heads in our laps or try to ride out this perfect storm which has made us, if not unknown, looked at as a joke on an opponents record.  Dont believe me ask a Pitt, syracuse, wva, uconn, gtown, etc. etc. fan.  They will tell you.  

We CAN change.  I feel it has to come from new charismatic leadership.  We need to head in a new direction.  Why settle with competing, how about being a force.  The sky is the limit but for usf basketball it seems the limit is the sky.  

Some very good points, Herm

Not really.  

First Kohn's departure had nothing to do with McCullum.  Second, it's clear you know little about the guy.  Third, it seems you're suggesting that a windbag, self-promoting ESPN darling of a used car salesman would be able to take USF Basketball to higher ground and we already know that is not true.  There is more to coaching and winning basketball than  personality or charisma as you like to mention so many times...Coach K at Duke - what charisma- LOL.  Dave Odom from Wake - very charismatic - right....several others out there.

Lastly, as has been pointed out each and every time.  You seem to think because not everybody jumped on the make believe Huggins dream, or routinely ***** out CRM they are "content" or want to give him an extension.  That is why I say you just don't know the reality of the situation.  As your arch-nemesis Velcro has stated multiple times, there needs to be dramatic improvement or there will likely be changes at the end of the season - as we saw with Eddie Cardieri and Logan Fleck.  AD Woolard certainly isn't going to fire him mid-season with a 9-6 record.  There is a season to be played and it may certainly be his last - but it is important to allow it to be played - there is more at risk in our program and more people to take into consideration than some anonymous message board poster.  It makes no sense to whine and moan about it.   And I think that is where the biggest division is.

I've been watching USF basketball since 1978.  I've seen many lows and some very nice highs.  I also know that we are playing at the highest level of competition ever and change, whether in the Sun Belt or the Big East, will not happen over night.  But I do believe we have an AD that doesn't accept mediocrity, but also is very methodical in his evaluation of a coach's performance, taking into consideration all RELEVANT issues.  I used to wonder if anyone cared at USF, I know now that we have a staff that knows the importance of our being competitive in every Big East sport.  You'll say that is kissing ass, and I will once again say you just don't know the reality of the situation.  

Jim I don't get it. Are you suggesting to cook RMC in a pot?

"Stirring the Pot" ... which was what Hawaii was doing.

It's like throwing raw meat into a lion's cage... sit back and watch the reaction...

Heck, Jim, I have a lot of fun telling the Mac haters how foolish they are.  The fact that they keep repeating the same stuff over and over again and don't understand that the season is here and there will be no changes until after it is complete is hilarious.  They always retort with the same fallacies, which makes it even funnier!  See AriJoementumRuebHerm's posts above for examples!

[smiley=roflmao.gif]

Brad your absolutely right.  But its so sad that when football season goes on there are 50 threads going on about football but how dare we talk about or sorry ass basketball program.  If theres nothing nice to talk about lets just not talk about it at all.  Good call.  Lets ignore it like our ad does.  Im sorry to care about usf basketball.   

Herm, I'll go look, but if you ever talked about a particular player's performance, an inbound play, a certain run within a game, a clutch three, a key foul, the injury situation, a pregame breakdown of what we need to do to win, a great coaching move, a bad coaching move, a great performance off the bench, a mental error on the court, etc, as if you really watched the game, then maybe I personally wouldn't mind the incessant (two years now) swipe at the coach.   I just don't see you that well rounded.  As many know, the "Ari Hinkelberger" persona, previously "Long Dong" (you know the whole list of names used on this board) came on this board when CRM was hired and made racist remarks about the hiring.  THE HIRING!  Not a game had been played.  Now this little group of personas has persisted in calling for his termination for two years.  That is why I, personally, am tired of the stagnant, acerbic view presented by those personas about the coaching situation.  

Want to talk some basketball?  Fine, let's talk some basketball.  I got to see the Wake and the Uconn game and will see the Pitt game tomorrow.  Let's talk some real basketball.  It doesn't have to be all football.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

What does what Long Dong or ari said about the hiring have to do with me?  Getting the robots against me?

I dont talk about the games and plays because we dont run good plays or have good games.  Plus then i would have to put down players which i never do.  Ultimately it is the coaches fault.  Nothing positive comes out of the games. Lets see the best part of the uconn game was the play where Gransberry committed a good hard foul on Thabeet and then showed sportsmanship by being apologetic to calhoun and going right to our bench and was clapping when Thabeet got up off the floor.  That was honestly my best memory of the game.  Besides that do you want me to talk about how we had 0 offensive rebounds int he 1st half.  Or how Jesus is not going to be our savior in macs doghouse, foot injury.....yeah.

To sum it up we look puzzled and discombobulated when we play good competition.  I can go into detail but its not hard to tell, you have eyes.  I played catholic league baketball in ny.  I played against nba players like speedy claxton, wally szcerbiak and zendon hamilton, i have been to camps where billy Donovan and Louie Carnesecca made apprearances and speeches, dont tell me i dont know ball, I wish our guys had people like that to teach them some things.   If you want to talk basketball, ask anyone i can talk plays and coaching strategies all day, but this isnt the coaches cirle this is a message board.  Plus I forgot more about basketball than you know my friend.  :)  Next time you are over in tampa, let me know I would love to school on what really matters, playing the game.  

Oh yea it is 1 of 2 things brad.  Charisma or a proven track record.  Selective reading again.  Coach k has a pretty good track record.  

Nice retort but just off the mark again.  I never said you knew nothing about basketball, I said you never discuss the game, just berate the coach.

You say "nothing positive comes out of the games".  There's part of your problem.  In both wins and losses one can find positives as well as negatives.

As far as what you know, or forgot etc. compared to me...I really don't care what you think.  If you are so rich with basketball knowledge, you'd think we see a tidbit of it now and then.

KState is on later tonight...I forgot against who.  You can pop another chubby tonight.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Theres the bulliever Ive grown to become so fond of.  I promise i will clean up my act.  but you know people take jabs at me personally all the time, when all i do is jab at mac.  I made an honest assessment of Hawaiis question and then the soup stirrers came right at me, i wasnt trying to argue.  He is hard to defend so i see why some get so angry, but like i said i will clean up my act.  Fully rehabilitated sir.  

BTW, You didnt respond to my request to play one on one.  we can do a prediction contest too.  play to 16 by ones and twos.  

Momart Wins

Momart 16

Momart 0 (its winners out, sorry)

0%

:) :) :)