• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's Clark Headed To FIU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

This guys a job hopper........

TAMPA - University of South Florida defensive line coach Bernard Clark has left USF after one season to return to Florida International.

A Leto High graduate, Clark came to USF in 2006 after a two-year stint as FIU's defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. At FIU, he will coach either linebackers or the defensive line under new coach Mario Cristobal, Clark’s former teammate at the University of Miami.

"I want to be in an environment where you can make a difference in a young man's life," Clark said. "Where you can make them better men, fathers and husbands. A lot of people might think I’m taking a step back, but that’s OK.

"To me it's not a step back. It has to do with happiness. Are you a better coach just because you’re in the Sun Belt or the Big East?"

Clark, 39, is USF's third assistant, and second defensive line coach, to leave in the past two seasons. He made $75,000 at USF.

"After seeing how USF has built a program and the excitement in everyone's eyes after winning the first bowl game, I want to do that at FIU," Clark said. "I sat down with Mario and [FIU athletic director] Pete [Garcia] and listened to their vision. That made it an easier decision. I realize they’re on the same page as I am."

Clark, who played on two national championship teams at Miami, was a third-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Bengals. He also was an assistant at Division I-AA programs Liberty (2000-03) and James Madison (1998-99) and also Lakeland Santa Fe (1997) and King (1996) high schools.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBKK8HRFWE.html

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

good luck to him and thanks for the effort this season

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

why? Something doesn't fit in this puzzle.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

he likes living in Miami-- makes sense with his ties to the Canes and what not along with his buddy beingthe HC

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Maybe so, but to leave that program, come to ours for a year, and then go back. It just doesn't sit right with me about that. I'm not saying there is anything unethical about it, I just think its wrong to do. Maybe its the lack of commitment that makes me feel uneasy. I do wish him the best though.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It was almost certainly a step up in pay to come to USF.  Sounds like he decided he liked being home more than he liked the extra money.  It isn't always about the money.  Perhaps he didn't get along with Don Strock that well either, and now he's got a more comfortable situation there.

Does this open the possibility of a Kravitz return?

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I think Kravitz comes back...if Jim will take him...if Kravitz wants to come back

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

Good luck to Coach Clark.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

well crap, he did a good job it would seem.  the line got better all year.  hope we get a good replacement.