• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What wrong with the BBall team? (NO COACH TALK)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

No, they play hard --work hard. But they often get lost out there: 5 guys, not a team.

Thats a coaching issue then.  It's that way in any team sport.  I thought the X and O part of the game was his forte'.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

It's a shame the way our basketball team is performing.  The future of this program is up to the athletic department.  I'm not asking for a regular big east contender or finals qualifier, just a team which can beat teams like UAB and TAMU-CC on a regular basis.  A team which nobody in the big east wants too play.  A team people want to see on espn, which people can actually depend on for an upset.  Not a team which people just change the channel, or a team which a majority of the 5,000 students who live on campus choose not to go watch even though the games are free.

Guest BasketBull.

Well, I still have a tiny (very tiny) bit of hope. Maybe the guys will gel and know their roles and start to play better on both ends of the floor.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  73

There it goes again... alright... say what you will, but don't be expecting to be beating UAB on a regular basis ANY time soon.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Besides the obvious issue, one thing I have noticed is this. The players are not moving without the ball. They stand and wait for the ball to come to them, instead of constantly moving to get into an open position. If you notice the top teams on how they play, they are always on the move away from the ball. Even on set plays, the good teams are moving. This sets up the play. Our guys unfortunately have not been coached to do this, which has lead to laziness on the court, bad passes, turnovers, poor rebounding. Another area has already been mentioned... free throws. Evidently, the free throw issue is not important, (like a lot of issues on this team) to warrant extra work. My work ethic would be to run the court. Stop play shoot free throws, run the court, stop shoot free throws etc. I feel our guys are not conditioned. They are in the lazy mode which reflects the free throws. This is a coaching issue. And lastly, I feel these kids DO want to succeed. They are affraid, or sick and tired of being yelled at all the time. There is no morale on this team. No fire. They are affraid to speak up, affraid to lead for fear of retribution(remember it's my way or the highway). This is ALSO a coaching issue. Shooper, I know you are doing the right thing by bringing a different slant to this issue, but unfortunately it always will revert back to the coaching issue. Until we see a change, we will remain in the mediocrity we are expiriencing.     Reaper

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Lack of talent.

Say what you will, but we don't have the talent to compete in the Big East....And transfers aren't going to lift us out of the gutter.

The present administration has failed to ink ONE highly touted recruit.

Hello?? McFly? McFly? Is anyone in there?

Why can't we recruit? Big East school in Tampa?? 75 degrees in Feb, hot girls, beach, Ybor, big city?

McFly?? Bueller?? Anyone?

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

FUNDAMENTALS

At this level of play, these guys should know basketball fundamentals. This is both the players and coaches fault. They should know how to inbound the ball without a turnover or 5-second call. They should not have multiple travel or double-dribble calls in a game. They should know they need to be moving around on offense, not standing in one place. They should know that they need to put their hands up. They should know how to slide their feet while playing defense. They should know how to box out and rebound. This is stuff I learned in 4th grade YMCA basketball. This is NCAA basketball not the NBA. Sound basketball will get you a good ways at this level. Skill will get you the rest.

1) Play sound, fundamental basketball.

2) Get good players who can play sound, fundamental basketball.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  114

Mac mad a lot of mistakes when he first got the job.

1.)  He let Jimmy Baxter walk out the door.

2.)  He ran most of the old guard off the team.  None of them were that bad

3.)  Didn't have a very good recruiting year after his first season.

4.)  Lacked Stability in the coaching circles.  Ran through assitants like water.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Shooper, I know you are doing the right thing by bringing a different slant to this issue.....

Yeah, for once I actually read every reply in its entirety. Usually basketball posts end up being a bunch of skimming through the hate and praise of the coach. No one EVER wants to talk about the players, so its kind of refreshing.