• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Great Stadium Debate continues . . .

For those that call Glazer smart because of the stadium deal ... wait.

He was smart for dealings to get in the position to buy an NFL team.

It wasn't smart to know you hold the trump card and know that NFL fans would do anything to keep the team here. It's simple leverage he used, not smarts.

What is the difference ET?  The Glazers bought the team for one reason: money.  Owning an NFL team is not about bringing in cash, it's about building an investment.

Let's see.  Borrow about $200 million to buy what was the worst franchise in the NFL.  Then do what it takes to make the investment grow.  At one point (just after the Super Bowl win), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were the highest valued professional sports franchise in the United States.

The Glazer's don't own and operate the team for the benefit of the fans.  It is a "for-profit" business.

Bear in mind that a heck of a lot of for-profit businesses get tax subsidies (do a search for "Qualified Targeted Industry" program).  Sure, the Glazers may be asking for more than any one business gets -- but that doesn't mean they should get zero.

Oh, and both the Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins will be asking the Florida Legislature for $60 million each this coming Legislative Session.  So, $12 million may not be that bad.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Glazers can't do anything if Hillsborough County says NO to the $12 Indoor Facility.

Glazers already have LONG-TERM contracts with TSA, Raymond James, sponsors, etc....and this time, the Bucs can't "threaten" to move over not getting $12 Million.

Bucs/Glazers already get EVERYTHING from EVERY event!

TSA/County are already losing $$$$ every year on maintenance.

There is nothing else to lose for the County/TSA.

Just say NO to the $12 Million request...and watch the Bucs put up a $5 Million Building all by themselves.

KL

PS. IF the Bucs say it was already in the contract...the County/TSA could say that the $12 Million was to build an ENTIRE Training Facility...and that it doesn't take $12 Million to put up a 120 yd indoor practice building.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

I wouldn't mind being in the Glazers family.

It's a business... "it is what it is"

How about this... what would Tampa be without USF?

Without USF... you can kiss the $3.2 Billion impact good-bye.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  114

study after study after study after study after study shows that sports franchises offer little to no positive economic impact on a city.  They bring in very little tax revenue to the general fund, and mostly cost taxpayes money over the long run.

sports teams are like nice cars.  it feels good to have them, but at the end of the day, they cost money.

most citizens are happy to pay for them, that is why the exist.

but the idea that channelside and international plaza wouldn't exist is off base.

people like the bucs and they are willing to pay to keep them around.  it gives them something to do on sundays

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

USF should threaten to pack up and leave town.  ;D

I wouldn't mind being in the Glazers family.

It's a business... "it is what it is"

How about this... what would Tampa be without USF?

Without USF... you can kiss the $3.2 Billion impact good-bye.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  400

you all need to quit complaining about the Glazers.  I've been a Bucs fan before I was a Bulls fan (mainly because Bulls football didn't exist when i was growing up) and I thank the Glazers for everything they've done.  Compared to Hugh Culverhouse, malcolm is a god.  Granted, the new NFL rules of salary cap have help equal the playing field for small market teams, when the Glazers assembled the front office during the dungy era, it showed that they really wanted a winning product on the field.

now, as for how it relates to USF and how he has a sweet deal, why would you blame him?  it's not like malcolm held a gun to USF's head and forced us to sign it.  USF agreed to that contract and through it all, has gotten to the BCS.  also, if it weren't for the bucs, i don't think tampa would be the big football town that it stands today.

it's funny how those who are Anti-getting-an-OCS are the same people that use the whole 'we can use the ray jay as a recruiting tool' as another argument.  the crappy deal we're getting from the glazers is also helping us recruit better (as some of you claim) and keeping most of you from complaining about chairs with no backs and no cupholders.

i've been a proponent of an OCS for the exact reason of this article.  ya ya ya, blah blah blah, about we don't have money right now.  i understand that.  but while i wait, i'm not gonna ***** about the crappy deal we have with the glazers.  

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

"The Bucs have one of the most lucrative stadium deals in the nation, which accounts for the team's very high market value," said Mark Rosentraub, an economist and author of "Major League Losers: The Real Costs of Sports and Who's Paying for It." He said the Bucs' high value is a testament to Glazer's financial acumen, considering the Tampa Bay area is among the NFL's smallest markets.

That's funny. I thought the Tampa Bay area was the 13th largest market.

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

"The Bucs have one of the most lucrative stadium deals in the nation, which accounts for the team's very high market value," said Mark Rosentraub, an economist and author of "Major League Losers: The Real Costs of Sports and Who's Paying for It." He said the Bucs' high value is a testament to Glazer's financial acumen, considering the Tampa Bay area is among the NFL's smallest markets.

That's funny. I thought the Tampa Bay area was the 13th largest market.

Kizarvexis

If you consider that the Raiders/Niners share a market, Jets/Giants share a market... c'mon! that makes us one of the 17 smallest markets!

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

it is funny how everyone is so quick to refer to malcom as "evil"

the man is one name and one name only...."smart"

I guess you are right. you got me. Nah, nevermind. I still hate the Evil Glazers. Just 'cause you are smart doesn't mean you can't be shady. Maybe evil is a stretch but who cares.  I can't like a guy ,or a family, that opposed anything USF related around the stadium.  Bring the contract up all you want but that doesn't give him the right to be a total a-hole about USF.