• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is kewl and about brought a tear to my eye!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to consider, I don't think a sophomore has ever won the Heisman... in fact, I don't think most voters even consider sophomores.

He clearly has the skills (see BasketBull's post) to compete with the elite QBs in the country... However, a lot of these voters are stats people... Troy Smith was 199 of 297 for 2,507 yards, 30 touchdowns and 5 interceptions.  Sure, other QB's threw for more yards and more TD's... but the voters saw him lead a team to a 12-0 record and put up close-to-great numbers.

If Matt can put up similar numbers (12-0, 67% completions, 30 TDs), he might get a very hard look... especially his junior and senior years.

I am not a stats guy... some of his INTs were game-ending or half-ending plays that really didn't amount to much... and he did what he did this year without a real running game to speak of.  But good stats mean that other things are being taken care of...

Does he have a chance? Yes.  But the OL needs to block.  The WR/TE/RB's need to catch.  USF needs a running game.   And Rod Smith needs to call plays that enable MG to capitalize on his strengths.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Matt needs to post that article in every sorority house on campus... he could have Wilt Chamberlin stats by the time he graduates. That would be more impressive than winning the Heisman. We could call it the "Matt Grothe Esquire Giggolo" Award.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Nice, this sight must know some about USF because thats the sight that put usf at #25 to start off the year next year.

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

He'll have to improve on those INTs (14 is way too many).  Rezz is right, those QBs have to put up huge numbers.  Has a sophomore ever won the Heisman??

Personally, I don't think he does enough of either passing or running to be considered.  He does both well, but normally you'd need to really put up huge numbers in one of those categories.  Basically he'll be competing with Pat White in the Big East.  They are similar QBs and put up similar numbers.  If he can get the upper hand on White, than you take a look at his numbers versus the rest of the country.  Its nice pub though.  

No a sophomore has never won it, so right there I think thet's going to hurt his cahnces immensely. I agree with what everyone else has said, he's not dominant in either running or passing, and the national exposure needs to up. And when they get that exposure they need to perform every time. This year is quite a stretch, and I don't think he'll win it. We'll see him compete for it in this senior year if he keeps playing like he has this year.

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254

By the way flipflop...don't ever spell cool as kewl again.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

the thing is I really dont think he has a chance to win THIS years heisman.  But getting his name out there and even if he does great MAYBE a chance to go to NY would be great.  But getting his name out there would be good for future year for him and the program

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

MG on a Heisman list would bring a tear to my eye too if I were his Pa...

However, I am not his Pa, and I think the inclusion is awesome, if not a little premature, maybe, a little goofy even.

We have a long way to go as a team before we can even think of having Heisman candidates...

If MG gets any serious consideration from any major media, I'll be ecstatic whether it's next year or the two following.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

In 2001 Rex Grossman finished 2nd as a Soph

2001 - 67th Award

Eric Crouch

Nebraska Back

The Voting

Place      Name      School      Class      Position      1      2      3      Total

1st      Eric Crouch      Nebraska Sr.      QB      162      98      88      770

2nd      Rex Grossman      Florida      So. QB            137    105    87      708

3rd      Ken Dorsey      Miami (Fl.)      Jr.QB       109      122      67      638

4th      Joey Harrington      Oregon      Sr.      QB    54      68      66     364

5th      David Carr      Fresno State      Sr.QB  34      60      58      280

6th      Antwaan Randle El      Indiana      Sr.QB 46     69           51           267

7th      Roy Williams      Oklahoma      Jr.DB      13      36      35      146

8th      Bryant McKinnie      Miami (Fl.)      Sr.OL      26      12      14      116

9th      Dwight Freeney      Syracuse      Sr.DE      2      6      24      42

10th      Julius Peppers      North Carolina      Jr.DE      2      10      15      41

Nebraska quarterback Eric Crouch became the third Cornhusker to win the Heisman, joining Johnny Rodgers, the 1972 winner, and Mike Rozier, the 1983 winner. Crouch edged out sophomore quarterback Rex Grossman of Florida by a mere 62 points, the closest margin since 1985 when Bo Jackson beat Chuck Long by 45 points.

No. of registered electors: 925

Date of announcement: December 8, 2001

Date of dinner: December 10, 2001

http://www.heisman.com/winners/e-crouch01.html

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  99

MG will be closer to the top of that list JR/SR year. Lets just hope he has some support to take the pressure off.