• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'm TIRED of...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

we didn't have our starting RB for half the season

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642

Actually, we have a good FG kicker.  We will kick anytime we are inside the 30 and possibly out to the 35 depending on the weather conditions.  He was 17-19 last year but has struggled at times during the season hooking his kicks left.  He was even demoted for 2 games to clear his head.  Skip has faith in him.  Sounds like your staff doesn't in your kicker.  I think I'd prefer you guys kick FG's on 4th and short anyway.  Grothe's legs scare me.

so is this kid proving my point or making an argument for ECU's crap kicking game?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

We are ranked #35 in the nation passing the ball. ECU is not in the top 50. However, they do have a WR (Aundrae Allison) #17 in the nation. We don't have a kid in the top 50. Grothe likes to share the love and I'll take that any day over ECU. We win the passing battle.

The best thing about this little tidbit is we have Mike Jenkins.  Mike will be able to hold this guy to under 100 yards easily with saftey help putting Trea on their number two guy.  And what happens when a QB throws to his number two guy? Trea Williams catches the ball.

If we shut down number 17 they wont have anyone else to throw to.  The can't say the same for our recievers.

And the points per game stat.  Well, when you play powerhouses like Rice, Southern Miss, UAB, UCF, basically anyone in CUSA they don't have the defenses of say Pitt, WVU, UL, RU.  Get my drift?

I tend to agree marti, that is why I listed Trae on there. Oh, and the scoring stat was something I put on there to stir the pot a little, I couldn't pass that up. Who dosen't love a little statistical jibber jabber. So far though I think you have offered the best explanation to my dilema, this puts my mind at ease somewhat.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78

We are ranked #35 in the nation passing the ball. ECU is not in the top 50. However, they do have a WR (Aundrae Allison) #17 in the nation. We don't have a kid in the top 50. Grothe likes to share the love and I'll take that any day over ECU. We win the passing battle.

Where are you getting your information?  The NCAA says USF is #39, while ECU is #32 in passing.  We average 230 ypg to your 224.  Our QB has 1 400+ game and 1 300+ game, while yours has 2 300+ games.  Our best games were against SMU and Marshall, while your were against UCF and Syracuse.  Looks pretty even to me.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Love stats.  Only one that matters is W-Ls.  If we run for 50 and pass for 100 and win - who cares.

I see the problem, you are looking at TEAM passing I'm looking at individual. Looking at that, I do believe our guy will get the job done as opposed to your guy. Like I said in my opening statements, stats I find interesting and MY OPINION about those stats

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

speculation, so I pulled some numbers to consider, so we can speculate some more ;D. I don't know how much stock you all put in stats but here it goes. These are some things I find interesting and this is all my OPINION!

This Bowl game will not come down to a field goal neither team is ranked in the Top 50 (in field goals). Both coaches will look to stay away from this if at all possible. You may see each team go for it on fourth & short.

Neither teams are top 50 in rushing. Don't see this playing a factor much but of course whomever can rush the ball more effectively has the edge.

Next, I look at turnover margin, US #85 THEM #32. What does this mean? Well... we have Trae Williams #6 in the nation, they have...? Wait one second though, Team INT's = USF #27 ECU #15 but wait one second though, Scoring Defense = USF #24 ECU#47! AWWWWWW! Not sure really what this means. Someone enlighten me

Then there are two more things I tend to look at, one of which scares the hell out of me.

SCORING

USF #67 in the nation avg. 22.92 pts/game

ECU #69 in the nation avg 22.75 pts/game

Well how are we gonna win this game with numbers like these? I'm thinking the deciding factor will be special teams. We have the 6th best punt returner in the nation. He will take one back in this game and it will make the difference.

You hit on two critical stats- we're nearly identical in scoring, yet USF holds a strong advantage in scoring defense.  Since we're both about similar offensively the difference is defense and if you're a betting person you do with the better defense.  Particularly the team with the better special teams- USF.  

Our defense has also been good at holding some top receivers this year below their season averages- Urrutia, Douglass, Kinder, Holley at UNC, Stewart at Cinci, and Murph at KU.  The only guy that went off on our defense, somewhat, was Mike Walker with UCF.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

That kid from FIU did pretty well too.