• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib already at it...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

... signing day isn't until February.  Miami will have their coach within a couple of weeks.  I don't really see how this is going to scare anyone off.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Days Won:  0

McMurphy is a big piece of Bull poo!

He's still miffed that the St. Pete Times is our sponsor.

The Trib needs to pony up and fire his ass... he's still trying to stir up the pot with made-up garbage.  Way to go Brett.

at least BRett was nice to us this week and didnt do his weekly story on what trouble brian fisher got into this week :D :D :D

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

I take CJL's mention as a candidate for a major 'known' program as a great publicity tool for our program.  We have recruits looking at this and thinking, "Why go to Miami/Tuscaloosa/etc. when I can play under the same quality coaching in Tampa, close to family and friends?".

We need to milk this and then, before any of those teams announce a replacement, have CJL have a news conference/release stating that he cannot think of a better place to coach than at USF.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

I have no problem with it ... Brett's just reporting the news here.

ET, that's the problem .... It's NOT news. News will be if they contact him.

Although, can't complain too much about the article. It's pub with none of his little shots in there.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

For what it's worth, Rivals is saying NC State has contacted Leavitt, no word on whether he's called back or whatnot.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Bill King, on Rivals Radio has been saying for the past two months that UM should hire CJL, and today he said Bama should hire CJL.  Its a product of the program's success, get used to it.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

I think, and i'm as guilty as anyone for dissing the trib, that the LOCAL NEWS PAPER should tout the HOME TEAM first.

I was born and raised here and cheered for the Gators for a lot of years before the BULLS. The trib has always put them first, but Friday, the day before what has turned out to be the biggest game in our short history, NOT ONE WORD. Unforgiveable.

Just maybe, if they showed a little more respect, we wouldn't be so quick to jump or look for the negative in the comments printed.

GO BULLS!

I think, and i'm as guilty as anyone for dissing the trib, that the LOCAL NEWS PAPER should tout the HOME TEAM first.

I was born and raised here and cheered for the Gators for a lot of years before the BULLS. The trib has always put them first, but Friday, the day before what has turned out to be the biggest game in our short history, NOT ONE WORD. Unforgiveable.

Just maybe, if they showed a little more respect, we wouldn't be so quick to jump or look for the negative in the comments printed.

GO BULLS!

It's not the job of the Trib to "tout" anyone.  The amount of space given to an subject is based on their readership.

I am willing to bet that there are 2 or 3 times as many Gator fans in Tampa than Bulls fans.

Newspapers reflect the communities in which they operate.  If you don't like what they print -- let them know it and help recruit USF fans.

Until this community -- AS A WHOLE -- starts following USF more, you can expect the Florida-Florida State game to have more coverage than a USF away conference game.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125

Hey, let's face it, USF's biggest problem is going to be keeping the staff together.  The bigger programs from more glamorous conferences are going to come calling.  UM and NC State are in the ACC, which has a better national reputation.  If Leavitt or one of USF's Assistants get offers that better their family's position, they will take it and rightly so.  

If CJL gets a great offer at a school where he can win a NC, he would be stupid to say no.  USF needs to convince him and his staff to stay and it needs to be more than he is from here and likes it so this is a good job for him.  

CJL get it while you can, because as soon as you start losing they will not think twice in firing regardless of where your family lives.   Break the bank, if you can!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Ya know, like many of you, I have been here during the whole time USF has had a football team.  I remember all the lead up to finally getting the team - from internal discussions to the Board of Regents vote.  I remember the list of candidates for the head coaching job.  I remember the first scrimmage at the soccer stadium.  I remember Western Kentucky, Valpo, Slippery Rock.  I remember San Diego State, Pittsburgh, the 21-game home winning streak.  I remember Tennessee Tech, Army, and Louisville.  I remember I-AA, C-USA, and the Big East invitation.

In all of that time, I have never seen a USF beat reporter for either the St. Petersburg Times or the Tampa Tribune with some kind of "secret agenda."

So why on God's green earth does anyone see a conspiracy here?

Fact: The University of Miami has an opening.

Fact: Jim Leavitt has done an AMAZING JOB building a program from the ground up.

Fact: When you have the success Leavitt has had, it may not get the recognition of a lot of fans across the country -- but you can bet their schools' athletic programs recognize it.

Fact: Most college coaches want to get to the top of their professions.  Moving "up" is considered normal in this job.

So why is it a big surprise that people are talking to Leavitt?  Why is it a big surprise that his name comes up in discussions about openings?  Then -- why is it a surprise when a reporter and his editor decide that it is newsworthy to report about it?

It's not like Brett was the first media member to mention Leavitt for the vacancies.  I heard Craig James on CBS when they showed the highlights of our WVU game.  (The same Craig James, by the way, who voted USF #24 on his AP Poll).

It is a sign of respect for the coach and the program when the media mention a coach for openings at other schools -- especially when those schools are perceived as more prestigious than their current schools.  It's not like people are talking about Leavitt for an opening at East Podunk State.

Then you haven't been looking hard enough because they're not hiding.   Ask anyone at USF, they won't mix words when referring to the Tribune in particular.

The article and contents were not all together bad, but timing was off as usual for the Tribune and Brett McMurphy.   Remember this is PURE speculation at this point that Leavitt would even be a candidate, and definitely interested, hell Brett's article doesn't even state he is, but the article is out there now, and every wire in America will pick it up, and suddenly whether Leavitt is a candidate or not other media outlets will put his name in the hat.

It's just irresponsible is all it is, and since all Brett is doing is speculating (what's new) then the timing is inappropriate- two days after one of the school's biggest wins.  Not one of his bigger digs, or poor moves but we already know he thinks highly of himself so I doubt seriously Brett wasn't aware of the ramifications or impact a speculation piece on Leavitt could be.  It catapults his name into the public eye.

Take it as you wish, and be naive if you must, but this isn't good for recruiting despite how many times Leavitt has been at it before, and frankly it puts Leavitt's name in the limelight as this article will be in all the Media General archives.   Who knows the motivation behind it, but given the person, and situation I do believe the timing was more intentional then accidental.