• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Watson and Chambers Dismissed from Team

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

My views on this are well known.  I don't believe that this is an adequate punishment for scholarship athletes.  The University invested a lot of resources in these two.  The only place the University can recoup that investment is on the field.  Punish the hell out of them.  Have them perform community service, void their scholarship for their last semester, run them until they can't stand anything but taking a loss on the investment.  

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this just about USF, but in my opinion the industry as a whole is using the wrong approach.  A lot of money is invested in these athletes, they are not kids, and the school should be able to recoup that investment.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24

Its got to be another failed drug test. There is no other explaination.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

It's kind of funny. Some of the same people ******** about the lack of disipline are the same ones that think the punishment is too strict.

I'm just guessing, but I'll bet the team was told of the consequences of their behavior BEFORE they broke the rules, TWICE! Or in Chambers case at least three times.

I agree, throw them off the team and revoke the scholarship.

Idle threats don't make good discipline.  Lay out the rules and stick to them.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Maxwell: Define "winning in their lives."  

Dixon: Teaching them how to conform, how to follow the laws of the land. It isn't about selling out or anything. It's about speaking properly. It's about learning. You're in America, and you need to know English. You need to know how to read and write. It's not always cool that you're talking slang.  

Ten years from now, you're going be a young man. Are you going be a respectful businessman who's able to take care of your family, your kids? Or will you still talk like you did in high school and behave like you did in high school?  

From an article on Otis Dixon.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642

Since '99 I've been watching CJL put the smack down on kids who break the rules. Jon Chivas, is the name who comes to mind from back then (that kid was a big loss at the time). I love that he brings INTEGRITY to a Florida program. At times I thought kicking Brian Fisher to the curb was tough. However, now that I coach football myself, I see the need to eliminate carcinogens.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Leavitt has really been working on instilling better discipline in the program.  Now, if that could just distill down into the number of flags we're getting per game...

not sure this will translate to less penalties and bone head moves on field

these guys must have failed a drug test and leavitt's hand was forced

leavitt isnt the great disciplinarian even though he has a nice size dog house if you get him mad

where would you get idea leavitt is trying to instill better discipline?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125

Maxwell: Define "winning in their lives."  

Dixon: Teaching them how to conform, how to follow the laws of the land. It isn't about selling out or anything. It's about speaking properly. It's about learning. You're in America, and you need to know English. You need to know how to read and write. It's not always cool that you're talking slang.  

Ten years from now, you're going be a young man. Are you going be a respectful businessman who's able to take care of your family, your kids? Or will you still talk like you did in high school and behave like you did in high school?  

From an article on Otis Dixon.GO BULLS!

That is a totally appropriate position for a High School coach to take.  He is right, at the High School level, it is the coaches responsibility to HELP mold the character of their players. High School students are children and need to be treated as such.

However, at the college level these players are adults and need to be treated as such.  Paternalistic actions are out of place in a business.  Mentoring is fine and even life education, but the University has made a substantial investment in each scholarship athlete.  The University and coaches deserve the right to recoup that investment.  

Treating them like children and letting them walk away from that type of investment does not serve the purposes of the player or institution.  The player needs to understand that either they play or they PAY BACK EVERY PENNY the school invested in them.  That will teach them a lesson.  Watson will go on to sign a professional contract and not think twice.  Meanwhile, USF, the coaches, and the other 83 kids that don't break the rules will go into the WVU and Louisville games undermanned and not having their best chance to win.  This could mean the difference in 100s of thousands of dollars and the seniors best shot at a bowl.  Sorry, MAKE THEM PLAY or PAY BACK THE SCHOLARSHIP.  

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

C-lay...carcinogens is harsh.  These are people you are talking about.  You should ease up a bit.  With that said, a failed drug test is just that.  Go by the guidelines and that's that.  As for Thed, what a F up.  Senior yr and get kicked off the team.  I guess that's why its called "chronic".  Who said MaryJane wasn't addictive.  Bet he don't graduate now.  I wonder if he gets a two game suspension, do they bring him back for the Bowl?

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  473

"Dismissed from the team" sounds a lot more permanent to me than "two game suspension".  I would think he is off the team for good.