• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Coach called a great game

Guest BasketBull.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

agreed, but the grothe designed runs need to stop. he is going to get killed.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

still some bizzare plays though, 35 years of watching football and I can't recall ever seeing a team fake a field goal in order to punt.....and a time out called to set that up on top of it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

agreed, but the grothe designed runs need to stop. he is going to get killed.

Grothe designed runs are part of the reason for his offensive success ...

Guest r_to_the_izzo
still some bizzare plays though, 35 years of watching football and I can't recall ever seeing a team fake a field goal in order to punt.....and a time out called to set that up on top of it.

That time out came after there was a 2 minute stop to measure the football.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

That was a result of two things.  Our crappy kicking game and Grothe being hurt.  Grothe has quick kicked a few times in that situation (and was trying to quick kick in similar field position when he dropped it  earlier in the game).  I have seen that play quite a few times in similar situations.  We were trying to trick them so they wouldn't have a return man deep.  Nothing wrong with the fake FG as a punt.  the better play call would have been to run Julmiste though.  We could have iced the game with a first down and the difference in field position was 11 yards.  

The wrong call in that situation would have been to try to kick the FG since our kicking game sucks.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

liked it but what was that goofy pass/toss play ?  bad bad bad   plus we fumbled the ball.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I understand he was trying to put the game away.   Sometimes Rod acts like a High School coach and relies on trick plays way too much..  All we had to do at that point was continue pounding the ball down their throat and we would have ben up by three scores at that point.  no need for trickery at that point of the game.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The timeout was a bit bizarre, but the actual call was a good one. Better to try and pin them deeper in their territory than to risk having another miss, which would have been highly probable with out kicking game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

It seems as the Big Grothe runs come on plays that are designed pass plays and grothe finds noone and rolls out and takes off. The designed runs are being stoped for 2-5 yard gains. Ricky can pick up those easy yards. I agree with maybe running a few of these plays but we call to many. When Grothe has a season or career ending injury maybe the OC will see the light. We have had 2 scares, hopefully the 3rd never comes.