• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looking to 07'

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  737
  • Days Won:  0

Not that I'm giving up on this year, but I think at this point in the season we have seen enough to get some idea of next year's team.

The prognosis is good, very good.

Here's a quick overview, position by position, of how I see next year's team shaping up.

QB---  Depth Chart: Grothe, Voss, Gregory/Allen?

Grothe should be one of the conference's best qbs next year with more seasoning, but depth is a real concern.  I see Voss (assuming he signs) as getting the first look as the back-up.  Gregory should be third on the chart, but with the depth at FS, Nate Allen could become the wild-card at qb, as I believe he still has great potential there.

Overall status :  Slightly improved

RB---  Depth Chart:  Ponton, Plancher, Dorsey

Ponton has shown that he can be a solid, if not spectacular starter; and Plancher will hopefully make a full recovery and provide a change of pace.  Dorsey and Samuels will hopefully provide some depth, and I still hold out hope that we land one of the many premier backs in the state this year who will come in and contribute immediately.  

Overall status:  Much improved

WR---  Depth Chart:  Johnson, Edwards, Hill, Jackson, Mitchell, Hester.....

The loss of Green and Randolph will be more than offset by the continued development of this deep and talented group.  Hopefully Carlton Mitchell becomes the elite reciever that Johnny Peyton could have been, and helps this group become one of the nation's best.

Overall status:  Improved

O-Line---  Depth Chart:  Dile, Griffin, Tolley, Shmidt, Hermann, Ide......

Although the line loses its best player in Thed Watson, everyone else returns.  Hopefully the young guys develop, and a healthy Tolley could become a very good left tackle.  Though Capogna is a great guy and hard worker, it would be nice to see another player come in and take that spot who has the size to hold up better at the line of scrimmage.

D-Line---  Depth Chart:  Selvie, Julmiste, Clebert, Cray, Dixon, Buie, Robinson,Harris

Selvie and Julmiste could form one of the best pairs of rush ends in the conference, and a healthy Clebert could team up with Cray and the JuCo Dixon to finally give us a run-stuffing group of DTs.  The line uses no one of significance, and should see tons of young talent develop.

Overall status:  Hugely Improved

LB---  Depth Chart:  Moffitt, Mompremier, Spires, Glover, McQueen, Joseph

This is the only position that will probably suffer some early in the season. Hopefully some of the redshirt freshman can come in and contribute on the weakside, and I feel that Spires will come in and start immediately on the strong side.

Overall status:  Somewhat weaker

DB---  Depth Chart:  Jenkins, Williams, Verpaele, Gachette, Murphy, Roberts, C. Williams

This dbs have almost a ridiculous amount of depth, and should suffer very little from the loss of Burnett.  Could be one of the best defensive backfields in the country in terms of speed and experience.

Return Game---  Players:  Johnson, T. Williams?  Samuels?  Carlton Hill?

Taurus Johnson is a tremendous kick returner, but the rest is unsettled without Randolph.  If Carlton Hill comes back, (which I dont anticipate) he could be an elite punt returner.  In any case, there are plenty of athletes ready to step in and contribute.

Overall status:  Should be just as good

Kicking Game---  Cant be any worse, can it?

Maybe i'm drinking the kool-aid, but it seems to me that this is a team that could actually compete for the conference title, and finally become a serious player on the national stage.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf needs more beef on oline and dt and if that doesnt happen usf will not win anymore games next year

usf's  coaching will hold them back.

unless usf has a top 25 recruiting class and those kids play i dont see much improvement next year

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Auburn's going down!!!

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I said it before in other posts, and I am probably chugging the Kool-Aid here, but if USF can somehow win that Auburn game next year, watch out. We have seen what can happen when everything clicks for this team. We will have UofL and WVU at home, and the rest of our OOC schedule is at least somewhat respectable (UNC, KU, UCF). If we win the Auburn game, we are top 25 for sure (likely 3-0). If we keep winning after that who knows??? BCS or Bust in '07

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Sir!  May I have one of what he is having please?   ;D

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

I said it before in other posts, and I am probably chugging the Kool-Aid here, but if USF can somehow win that Auburn game next year, watch out. We have seen what can happen when everything clicks for this team. We will have UofL and WVU at home, and the rest of our OOC schedule is at least somewhat respectable (UNC, KU, UCF). If we win the Auburn game, we are top 25 for sure (likely 3-0). If we keep winning after that who knows??? BCS or Bust in '07

Kool-AidMan.jpg

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I thought we would be Oklahoma, Arkansas, South Carolina, Miami, Penn State.  I'm not falling for it again.  If we do beat them, I'll be as giddy as a school girl.  Until then, I'm not expecting it.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I'm starting to believe that we need to sign a stud back.  It's hard to tell where Ponton is right now, but to keep up next year we will need someone to play at the level of Slaton and Rice.  If Bush goes into the NFL Stripling looks good and that Allen kid looked real good.  UCONN has a good up and coming Freshman.  I'm really curious to see if Ponton can be the guy to keep up with the others.  This conference is still pretty young.  If we are going to compete the way we want to, The offense will have to really click on all cylinders