• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For those that wanted Oliver....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

it looks like there was a reason he wasn't chosen.  Good thing they discovered it (whatever it is) before they hired him.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGAPE81D6UD.html

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  236
  • Days Won:  0

Sounds like a bad case of he said, she said.  It appears that someone screwed up.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

TAMPA - Replacing Athletic Director Lee Roy Selmon wasn't going to be easy, but the University of South Florida never thought it would be this difficult.

On Wednesday, Doug Woolard was named USF's athletic director, but only after Jon Oliver, the school's first choice, withdrew his name because of background concerns discovered by consultant Chuck Neinas, a USF official said.

On Friday, USF sent Oliver a five-year contract offer worth $230,000 plus the possibility of earning $25,000 a year in incentives, a public records request by The Tampa Tribune revealed. Friday was the day after USF's search committee unanimously recommended Oliver and Woolard as finalists.

Noreen Segrest, council to the USF Foundation, said the offer was e-mailed to Oliver. But Oliver said he withdrew from consideration Tuesday ``for family reasons.''

``We went through a process of due diligence which includes checking references, verifying credentials and talking to the candidates,'' USF spokeswoman Michelle Carlyon said. ``Chuck Neinas called Jon Oliver to discuss some questions that arose, and Oliver withdrew at that time.''

A senior associate athletic director at the University of Virginia since 2001, Oliver, 40, said Wednesday night that USF's statements were not true.

With Oliver eliminated, USF President Judy Genshaft on Tuesday offered Woolard, who has been Saint Louis athletic director since 1994, more money: five years, $245,000 a year plus a possible $30,000 in incentives.

Genshaft would not discuss Oliver's contract offer.

``We're celebrating Doug Woolard today,'' Genshaft said at a news conference Wednesday morning. ``It's not appropriate to answer. Today is about Doug Woolard.''

USF Vice President Michael Rierson said Woolard was offered more money because he had more experience.

Late Wednesday night, however, after receiving a call from Oliver, Rierson said Carlyon's statement was not completely true.

``In terms of what Michelle said, it's not completely accurate and I think it's misleading and I regret that it's out there,'' Rierson said.

Rierson also disputed that Oliver was e-mailed a contract ``offer'' and said it was a contract ``draft.''

``Jon never got a contract offer,'' Rierson said Wednesday night. ``That was a draft. Doug got one a few days later.''

Rierson could not explain why Oliver's contract was sent five days before Woolard's contract was e-mailed.

Genshaft indicated after Thursday's recommendation of the two finalists that she would speak with each of the 12 members of the search committee to ``ensure we make the right choice.''

At least two search committee members said they never spoke with Genshaft after Thursday.

Neither Genshaft nor Rierson would elaborate on the negotiations with Oliver.

``That question is best directed to Chuck Neinas,'' Rierson said. ``I don't think it would be appropriate to go in the order'' of what happened.

Contacted in Colorado on Wednesday afternoon, Neinas said his only duty is providing quality candidates.

``I don't offer anyone a job,'' Neinas said. ``I work in a confidential matter. What happens with my client stays with my client.

``I provide the search committee with a group of qualified candidates. They make a determination who they wish to select.''

Neinas was paid $30,000 plus expenses for his consulting services, USF Associate Athletic Director Tom Veit said.

Woolard's first day at USF will be June 14.

``He's the right person at the right time,'' Genshaft said. ``He has proven experience. This is the opportunity of a lifetime.

``He will be busy. We have high expectations for him.''

Hinks Shimberg, chairman of USF's search committee, was impressed with Woolard's experience.

``This is a big job and it has to be done fast,'' Shimberg said.

Woolard said he is looking forward to the challenge.

``These are historic times at USF,'' Woolard said. ``To be able to accept this outstanding opportunity to join a team that has a clear vision for what I am confident will be a very bright future here.

``Together the coaches, student athletes and staff can make USF the best athletic department in the Big East as quickly as we can. It's going to take all of us. It's going to take resources.''

Woolard offered a favorite quote to describe what lies ahead for USF.

``If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you can't, and either way you're right. Not only do I think we can here, but I know we can here.''

Genshaft jokingly admired Woolard as he donned a green USF hat.

``Doesn't he look so much more handsome,'' she said.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

true mike, my dad is an executive head hunter and he wouldn't have even considered that fee unless trying to do the school a favor.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I wonder what Neinas was questioning Oliver about? Anyone have the inside scoop?

Paisa

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

WOW!  Only $30k!  That is very low...

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

wonder what was the issue with oliver?

nice to know that usf did not diss the coaches

and that this was above board not some back room dealing.

$230K- $245K thats a lot of money.

hope we get our money's worth.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

we got a good guy

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

we got a good guy

all things considered i agree

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

in light of what AD is responsible for the $245000 doesn't seem like a lot too me