• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How to eliminate the noon football games for TV

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

BE must win 2-3 NCGs in the next decade and elevate attendance to a minimum avg of 40K.  That way the ESPN/ABC beast will garner more respect for our conference.  The BE would then be able to compete for TV viewers at the Sat. 3:30 and 7pm slots vs the ACC, B10, B12, SEC & P10.  And a conference game may ever be worth of a GameDay appearance.  Now our nat. attention just comes on Th., Fri. & Sun nites which does have its pluses (No other games on the tube).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so fast my friend.

The Big 10, Big 12, and SEC all have MULTIPLE GAMES at Noon every week.  The only reason the Pac 10 doesn't play Noon EASTERN time is that would be a 9:00am kickoff.  However, a 3:30 kickoff for a Pac 10 team is a 12:30 local kickoff.

I do not know ANY teams that don't play a Noon game at some point.  For example, Florida (12:30) and Florida State (12:00) play early kickoff games THIS week.

What has to change is the mindset of South Florida fans.  Yes, as parents you want your kids to participate in sports on Saturdays... but Saturdays in the fall wll be in limbo.

This is similar to holiday plans.  Too many USF fans have already set their holiday travel plans -- but they don't include the bowl game.

It is possible to have both USF games AND family events as priorities... but it takes making some adjustments.

NOTE: I had to postpone a trip to visit my grandmother in Ft. Myers next weekend because of the Syracuse game change.  I mention this so people don't think I'm being critical of fans that are parents because I don't yet have children.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

everyone has noon games, it is part of college football

Tennessee has been lucky so far and not had a noon game, but with a final home game against Kentucky coming up, that very well could be a noon kickoff.  Last year there were 2-3 games that started at 12 or 1230

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

It is possible to have both USF games AND family events as priorities... but it takes making some adjustments.

NOTE: I had to postpone a trip to visit my grandmother in Ft. Myers next weekend because of the Syracuse game change.  I mention this so people don't think I'm being critical of fans that are parents because I don't yet have children.

I don't think you're being critical, I just don't think you can't relate yet. If you have a noon USF game, a daughter's 12:30 soccer game and a son's 1:00 baseball game, there is no way you can make BOTH the USF game and the family events a priority.

Obviously, this isn't a problem for most od the established programs, for whatever reason, and when we get as established as they are, I doubt it will be a problem for us .... but now it is.

I don't think you're being critical, I just don't think you can't relate yet. If you have a noon USF game, a daughter's 12:30 soccer game and a son's 1:00 baseball game, there is no way you can make BOTH the USF game and the family events a priority.

Obviously, this isn't a problem for most od the established programs, for whatever reason, and when we get as established as they are, I doubt it will be a problem for us .... but now it is.

It is still a problem... but I doubt many of your fellow parents are season ticket holders at Florida or Florida State... they simply choose family over football.  I have no problem with that, and might make (probably will make) the same choice once I have kids.

The other option would be to find (or even start) leagues that don't play on Saturdays in the fall.  That would be one way to have both.  I'd rather give up Sunday football than Saturdays.  Not sure how many others feel this way ... but Sunday afternoons are GREAT times for youth sports.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Jim,

USF has noon games for one reason...TV.  Meaning all USF home games are/should be/will be at 7pm unless the conf. selects USF as "game of the week" or the Bulls play on Th. Fri or Sun.  The BE GotW is on noon Sat 'cuz thats what the TV contract calls for (I'm assuming.)  If the BE could compete for TV rating vs the SEC then that time slot could be moved to 3:30 instead of noon.  3:30 is the SEC's GotW time slot on CBS.  Or bump an ABC 3:30 GotW which is usually the B10 or ACC in a FL market.  All I'm saying if the BE game of the GotW becomes a 3:30 TV game then nooners are highly unlikely for USF.  That's my point.

Trip you hit it on the head.  USF is 50 yrs old with a 6 yr old D1A program.  Most of the season ticket holders are betw. 30-50 with most having kid activities on Sat. morn & afternoon.  The "north" schools have noon games for very good reasons.  In late Oct, Nov, & Dec, the weather effects nite games.  Not to mention an older alum/donor basis that usually has free Sat. morns.

Right now I have fallen so far behind in my Sat chores thanks to road trips to UCF & UNC & letting the better half have a family weekend last week, my garage looks like Katrina hit it w/o the water.  I had designated the morn of the Syracuse game to cleaning that mess out and then watching the son catch flagfootball passes from 11 to noon.  Now it may havta wait a week.  And if I don't get it done then I may havta wait until Dec.

I just don't like having to choose between my kids activities and a USF football game prolly my only real hobbie.  I get 6-7 homies a yr, dang if they havta put this type of choice in front of me...well...it just sucks is all I'll say.  

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Even more daunting is the fact that this season marks the first time in the football team's history that Homecoming will be played during the day. USF is 15-14 all-time during day games and 2-2 at home playing earlier in the day.

I certainly hope with more day games comes a better record.  :'(

http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2006/10/31/Sports/Scheduling.Snag-2412085.shtml?sourcedomain=www.usforacle.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i love 9am bull games from my bed

keep them at 9am

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Even more daunting is the fact that this season marks the first time in the football team's history that Homecoming will be played during the day. USF is 15-14 all-time during day games and 2-2 at home playing earlier in the day.

I certainly hope with more day games comes a better record.  :'(

http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2006/10/31/Sports/Scheduling.Snag-2412085.shtml?sourcedomain=www.usforacle.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

what time is the best for the bulls?

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

What are we.... 61-39 all time? 46-25 at all other times (I presume that means night games).

Day: .517

Night: .648