• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FB Richard Kelly, 6' 240 lbs.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Owen Schmitt is the WVU fullback.  I agree with ET.

No way is he an Owen Schmitt.  Owen is an enormous, big true FB at 6-2 260lbs, he's more like an H-back/TE type playing in the backfield.  Kelly will bring much more to the table then just the occasional FB quick hitter up the middle.  He clearly is legit around that 4.5 judging by those clips so now you're talking about a big back that can run in a single back set and get tough yardage off tackle, and catch screens and flares out of the backfield.  Schmitt is a enormous FB, but he's limited in range and capability.  Kelly appears to be an athlete that could get faster and with proper technique might become a featured back.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Scout has his 40 listed as 4.7, but he looks quite a bit faster at times in the video.  Hopefully he just has better game speed than in a 40yd dash then it just being a the talent level or lack of talent that can be present at some 2a schools.  I love this kids feet especially for a kid his size.  I love his balance too which can really be absent in alot of FB's who just seem to lose their feet when they are knocked off balance by a unsuccessful below the belt tackle.    I wish there were some clips of him blocking in that video.  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

My comparison to Schmitt was comparing offenses.  You think Kelly can be the single back in the spread?  Anyone else have a single back that big in a spread offense?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  31

Criag "Ironhead" Hayward was a big back in June Jones' spread offense.  He was extremely successful.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

USF ran the spread with Dyral McMillan, our only Back to Back 200 yard rusher.

Scout has his 40 listed as 4.7, but he looks quite a bit faster at times in the video.  Hopefully he just has better game speed than in a 40yd dash then it just being a the talent level or lack of talent that can be present at some 2a schools.  I love this kids feet especially for a kid his size.  I love his balance too which can really be absent in alot of FB's who just seem to lose their feet when they are knocked off balance by a unsuccessful below the belt tackle.    I wish there were some clips of him blocking in that video.  

He has been timed on a number of different occasions in the low 4.5's.  His coach says he ran a 4.57 the last time he ran the forty.

Sanjay, I understand about comparing offenses, but my point is Kelly seems to have more potential then Schmitt.  Owen's a throwback FB/H-Back, but Kelly might have more legit running back skills at that size while still being a very effective FB.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

He has been timed on a number of different occasions in the low 4.5's.  His coach says he ran a 4.57 the last time he ran the forty.

Sanjay, I understand about comparing offenses, but my point is Kelly seems to have more potential then Schmitt.  Owen's a throwback FB/H-Back, but Kelly might have more legit running back skills at that size while still being a very effective FB.

Might want to check your source about the "last" time he ran the 40.  

Taken from the USF nation interview that was posted yesterday about his commitment

USFN: What's your 40 time?

Kelly: My best is a 4.5, but last time I got a timed, I was weighing 250lbs and ran a 4.6 at FSU this summer.

Just in a nit picky mood  ;)

Might want to check your source about the "last" time he ran the 40.  

Taken from the USF nation interview that was posted yesterday about his commitment

USFN: What's your 40 time?

Kelly: My best is a 4.5, but last time I got a timed, I was weighing 250lbs and ran a 4.6 at FSU this summer.

Just in a nit picky mood  ;)

Yeah, and he ran that at 250lbs, but when he's in the 240 range he's run under 4.6.  Impressive either way for a guy that size.  Like someone said, think Clenton Crossley size and strength when he was a SENIOR at USF, but he's faster, quicker, with better feet and skills.  Tough to argue with that assessment.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

USF picks up Fullback

By JC Shurburtt, Recruiting Analyst – Rivals.com

Bushnell (Fla.) South Sumter running back/fullback Richard Kelly has decided to play his college football in the Big East conference. The sleeper fullback made a verbal commitment to the South Florida Bulls during the weekend.

"He verbally committed to USF," South Sumter head coach Inman Sherman said. "The fact that they needed immediate help at running back and also, like his momma said, that it's 45 minutes from home helped."

The 6-foot-1, 240-pound Kelly was a four-year starter at South Sumter, splitting time between the fullback and tailback positions.

[highlight]"We ran a lot of the same formations that they use at South Florida," Sherman said. "When we were in the "I' formation, we used him primarily as a fullback because he was such a good blocker. But when we would get in the shotgun, he played the one back, so he has plenty of experience playing running back."[/highlight]

Kelly averaged more than 8 yards per carry this year, totaling 1,200 yards and 16 touchdowns.

He also received attention from Ole Miss, Alabama and Florida State.

A good blocking back is helpful in a spread offense... I remember a GREAT blitz pickup from Benjamin Williams during the WVU game.  We can definitely use that kind of experience to really shake up the offense.