• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FB Richard Kelly, 6' 240 lbs.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

So is this a sign that we are going to see some more I formation sets in the future?  I just dont see how a FB really fits in our current offense.  Any chance this kids plays other another position and will be used there.  

or perhaps rod smith will expand his playbook some.  we could stand a little variety.  being able to pound the ball up the middle would sure be nice.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

So is this a sign that we are going to see some more I formation sets in the future?  I just dont see how a FB really fits in our current offense.  Any chance this kids plays other another position and will be used there.  

or perhaps rod smith will expand his playbook some.  we could stand a little variety.  being able to pound the ball up the middle would sure be nice.

i agree and think some i formation plays would help our RB's production.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

See how WVU uses a FullBack ...

And LB Peoples was used at FB yesterday in Practice.

Also, saw Center Fox used as FullBack this season.

I don't know anything about this kid, but could he also be a TailBack ?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  339

Great link.  That's a lot of speed for a guy that size.  I think we could use him as either a fullback (coaches would have to put in some new plays), or as a RB.  We should try and use him in the Alstott-role.  Fullback to block, but put him in at tailback to carry the ball when we need to pound it.  

Great pick-up.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Unless we are scrapping the offense, he will be a fullback not a feature back.  This offense is designed for faster backs not necessarily larger power backs.  However, he can do some serious damage as a fullback, see Owen Schmitt.

Guest r_to_the_izzo

It looks like his H/S ran some version of the spread. He has the hands to catch (from that video), I think ET said look at how WVU uses the fullback, I think thats how we will use him.

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,297

Great hands, good balance, good size, and I love how he gets low and "pounds the rock".  He could definitely wear down some defenses.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Owen Schmitt is the WVU fullback.  I agree with ET.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Here's his highlight video:

http://64.237.99.126/clips/2007727.wmv

a VERY IMPRESSIVE highlight video.  I caution it only by virtue of the fact he plays in 2A and it was clear that Kelly was a man among boys.  But what I find particularly impressive that despite the slight competition level is how he runs between the tackles.  He gets his pad line low, keeps his feet moving, and seems to have that innate ability to bounce off would be tackler, but also has quick enough feet to avoid ankle tackles and tacklers.  Reminds me a bit of Kalvin Bailey, however Bailey was a bit more prototypical fullback type with a lower pad line, and more a rumbler.  Whereas Kelly seems a bit more of a hybrid big-back with his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, and he has a good burst, and seems more adept at avoiding tacklers or moving his feet out of the way of tacklers by jumping, juking, and jiving down field.

That was as good a big back as I've seen.  He has a lot of very nice tools.  Give him a year to work with Carl Franks and you'll all be very impressed.  Kelly is going to give USF's running game a dimension we haven't seen to have a true hybrid big back/FB type.  It will give our offense even more flexibility to do more things because he can be effective as a lead blocker, or flaring out of the backfield catching passes.   This was a very, very nice pick-up.  Not to mention we all know how good South Sumpter players have been to USF in the past.

Now let's hope Kelly can get his teammate Kendall Smith to switch his commitment from FSU to USF!