• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I hate to say it, but I am not too happy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Great point Knight Light! Wonder what adminstration would think if they heard your arguement... they'd probably say we are a bunch of know-nothing jackasses on a message board!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

People are so taken in by coming from the big name.   In my business, when we have hired from large companies, we have ended up with people who have been raised in a system where they were trained to hide and be yes people.  The ones out of the smaller, independents have been forward, creative and independent thinkers who are pro-business.  Give Doug a chance....he's got more credentials than LeeRoy had coming into the job and I didn't hear you whining about his performance.  I BULLIEVE he is the right guy.  

don'f forget lrs came in with a very bad situation with our future on the line, also he was in a unique position to become the AD (respect of tampa community, which was and still is vital to our continued growth) and we (USF) practically begged him to take the job and the expectations were "just save us, get us out of this mess". so he clearly did that and surpassed it by getting us to the BE  

now there are very different conditions for the new AD and the expectations are much higher.

i don't think any comparision with the two is warranted without highlighting the circumstances of were the program was and is going

just my $0.02

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

I agree with Knight Light on this one. I will never understand on why this did not come up before Oliver made the top 2. Hollis and Spetman basically got screwed over that mistake. Oh well, I am happy with Woolard. He has some good experience. Football is doing fine, so there really is not alot of work to be done there since the football facility is finished. It is basketball that needs alot of work right now which I think Woolard will be a good asset too. He did hire an excellent coach in Lorenzo Romar while he was at ST LOUIS, but STL could not keep Romar there when the big dollars called.

Guest Disco Duck

BB2000-- you are making more out of this background check than it's worth. The way I see it-- they asked him about the situation and he dropped out immediately. That seems much stranger than the fact that he did not inform the search committee of what was in his past. OK- a simple background check would have brought this up before. But as I read it, the situation was not so drastic that this coming to light was a deal breaker. The deal was broken by a man who refuses to deal with his past. It will haunt him forever until he does. Not that what he did as a young man was all that ridiculous or even proven to be true-- that was not the point. He said he dropped out to avoid the issue, and he still ended up in the paper. I think he screwed the pooch-- he could have been our AD if he had just been honest and bothered to go through the process (perhaps). The onyl other way I can see this going down was that they were trying to strike a deal with Woolard and finally squared that deal away--- then they decided to use the "past indiscretion" card to push out Oliver with a gentle nudge. My point is that USF probably was aware of this situation from the start-- it didn't sound like something he was blatantly trying to hide-- and used it as a bargaining tool when they needed it.

the whole thing is a poker game.....

triple quack -- THE Dicso Duck.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

OK, here comes the Conspiracy Theory.  This was an inside job and Neinas knew all the time about the backround of Oliver and knew it would kill him for the job when it came out.  He pushed his choice of Woolard into the top two then pulled the trigger on Oliver. Bada bing - Bada boom -  his boy gets hired.

Guest S.  Bien

No I have a feeling it was more like Disco Duck had played it out.  

Oddly, there is nothing in his background that is horrific.  The one drug scenario was dismissed, and the other situations include a DUI, a bankrupcy, and some credit issues...

All which quite actually are easily explained and really not as big of deal as some would like it to be.  I think USF wanted to give him a chance to explain himself, and when it started to get public he froze, and dropped his name from interest.

This was hardly something that he expected to just not be inquired about, as if they'd never notice.  The only other explanation was they wanted Woolard from the out-set, and decided to press Oliver on his background for him to respectfully bow-out.  Again, everyone had to have been aware of the background, it is things that could be pulled up with simple credit checks for $39 from Equifax, and a Police Scan background check.  Hardly, something he was hiding, in fact, it might not be surprising that Oliver didn't tell them from the outset, and then in the end they pressed to get their final guy.  Its not secret that Hank, Neinas, and a few others wanted Woolard.  Maybe they saw Oliver quickly becoming the popular choice and felt that leaking this information would quell those feelings.

Just a thought, but it doesn't make much sense, and again, his background wasn't that bad where he would need to scurry for the door and exit stage left.  Some strong explanations, and discussions could have overcome this if he was open and honest.

He's obviously a hot enough commodity that UVA isn't prepared to just let him go over this.  Whatever the case, we were able to land a good safe alternative.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

I can't help but remember how Alabama fans were turning up their noses at CJL when they found he was (gasp!) divorced!

They sure wouldn't want one of THOSE!  (Besides the fact he turned them down).

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7

I think we needed a young energetic AD or a well established AD from a big football power instead we got an old guy from a school that didn’t  have football

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

dabull- interesting

hope you are wrong