• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Between the snake and the preacher

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/COLUMNIST15/610180640

The University of South Florida linebacker corps was built to handle more than screen passes, four receiver sets and whatever else an opposing offense can conjure up.

This group, rated the best in the Big East Conference before the season began, will even attempt on-the-field healing.

Patrick St. Louis, the Bulls' weakside linebacker, likes to think he is playing with a preacher and a snake. It's an odd combination that comes in handy on the field, he says.

St. Louis never played with a middle linebacker quite like Ben Moffitt, who quit football as a high school junior to find God. Moffitt said God led him back into the game because it gave him a platform to speak from.

"If you hurt your finger in a game Ben will grab it and ask that you let him pray for it right on the spot," St. Louis said.

Though he may possess a Sunday pulpit personality, when it comes to football Moffitt isn't afraid to vent his anger.

"He is relentless and is always ready to jump in your face," St. Louis said. "He will tell you what to do and he doesn't care who you are. If you are out of line, he will get in your face. ... I don't bother him. I just let Ben be Ben."

Strong side linebacker Stephen Nicholas, a Butkus Award candidate and the best NFL prospect of the three, has a dual personality born out of his passion for football.

"He is two people," St. Louis said. "You've got one guy at practice and one in a game. "The one at practice is a hard worker who works on fundamentals and is doing everything right. In the game, you get a snake. In a game, Stephen will find some way to come out of anything to make a tackle. The snake is everywhere."

Nicholas got the first interception of his career last week against North Carolina, which was the first pick by a USF linebacker in three years. Earlier this season, he came out of nowhere to block a field goal attempt against Rutgers, which gave the Bulls a chance to win the game.

Nicholas is often compared to Bulls head coach Jim Leavitt because he is very guarded about what he says and doesn't want to tip off an opponent.

Though Moffitt is a junior playing with two seniors, he is considered the father of the group. He got married when he was a 17-year-old senior at South Sumter High and has two children.

"There was a (interception) curse on the linebackers and I think it's broken now," Moffitt said. "I was excited and happy for Stephen and believe I will get (an interception) now. It feels great to be the middle linebacker between them.

"You couldn't ask for two better guys on and off the field. I feel like they are my brothers. They are quick and have great instincts for the ball. The notoriety our group gets makes you feel good, but it's not something we talk about."

St. Louis says he doesn't see any egos when he looks at Moffitt and Nicholas.

"This is a team sport and we always make sure we take care of our team," St. Louis said. "For us, it's not about trying to make 20 tackles a game. We don't try to highlight ourselves. We try to highlight our team."

After graduation Moffitt wants to become a preacher or get into coaching.No surprise there.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

Great Read ! Thanx ! Learned more about Big Ben.

And I expect Moffitt in an NFL camp after graduation.

And St. Louis' nickname is "Bullet Head" ... when you see him with his helmet off, you will agree  ;D

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Nice article.  Really cool story

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Isn't Stephen Nicholaus the son of a preacher?

• Topic Count:  1,035
  • Content Count:  7,516
  • Days Won:  10

Isn't Stephen Nicholaus the son of a preacher?

Indeed, he is.  I met his dad at a spring game on a very hot day at Ray Jay, both of us in the tunnel trying to stay cool out of the unrelenting heat.  He was very proud of his son, but said that  he wasn't able to attend his son's games Saturday night and then get back to Jacksonville to preach.

I'm hoping that he was able to get to the Rutgers game, as well as Sunday night's game in Cincy.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142

It's nice to see a good story about our players every once in awhile!

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

And to think all of our naysayers tend to just punish us on us being dopers and "reproducers" of children. It's nice to see the best side shine through for once!  Great job!!!     Reaper

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

Herald Tribune has done a great job up there with press on our Beloved BULLS this season.