• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe Continues To Confound His Critics (Trib)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

There were critics about his size and arm strength. I guess you forgot how C.Hill was given the job to lose. Thankfully Grothe got the chance to show what he can do on the field.One intangible he has that sometimes is hard to gage in practices are his will to win and leadership on the field when things are tough.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Grothe leads the Big East and is 12th nationally in total offense with 264 yards per game.

Gregg Becnel

Wow!!! He is ahead of Pat White from WV?!?!?!  That's impressive.

Go Grothe!

That is impressive, even if WVU doesn't pass that much because White just had a 250 yard rushing game on the same day that Slaton had 170ish yards...  

Even if you don't pass much, your total offense numbers still look great with that type of rushing attack and to think Grothe is producing more than that is just awesome!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

There were critics about his size and arm strength. I guess you forgot how C.Hill was given the job to lose. Thankfully Grothe got the chance to show what he can do on the field.One intangible he has that sometimes is hard to gage in practices are his will to win and leadership on the field when things are tough.

I didn't forget that but here's my point-- Grothe wasn't really mentioned prior to C Hill dropping from the team. Size and arm strength was more about what he did in HS and practice. I guess the critics are the media then. THe HS film I saw on Grothe looked impressive. I actually wanted him to get a fair shake at getting teh QB position. But it might have been better to get a year of Hill's time instead of wasting one of Grothe's last year. A lot can change over 2 years since HS so it would be odd to make statements about someones ability based on that far back. It must have been media folks who questioned his chances although I don't recall them being hyper critical of Grothe specifically.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

We had critics on this board and sure there were other critics.

I don't think we need to ask for his sources  ;)

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

IMO the critics are the country. I dont think anybody has ever said is he for real or not too much. It is more about USF as a whole. No matter what we've done, 9-2 in 02/going to a bowl game in our first year in the BE, we've never really had anyone talk about us. We have had ESPN Gameday pick Army over us. I realize that they were in Army for a specific reason and they were probably just playing along with the atmosphere, but still. Last week was the first time that I have ever heard us mentioned as a tuff team in either of the conferences BE/CUSA. We have been picked to finish under .500 almost every year in existance and we've done it once.

So it is not so much of the critics, it is more about not having anyone talk about you at all and you are one of the leaders in the country in terms of yards and the record is not that bad either

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

i believe we were picked over army in that gameday game.  i remember my friend who was rocky at the time, tell me that lee corso was supposed to put on rocky's head, but due to the weather cancelling the broadcast, we never got to see it happen.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

Corso did pick USF and think we got the head back in the latter part of the 2nd half.

My first away game ... DANG that rain was like a FL ThunderSorm ... glad it cleared up for the game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  153

that Gameday at Army was all about Army. We weren't even represented on the stage -- just Army crap.

Then Fowler says we are a commuter school and Corso hijakcs are Rocky head. Yeah-- lightning and rain closed down the set-- but just because they grab the mascot head doesn't mean he is definitiely picking that team-- they get them from both schools to allow Corso the chance to surprise everyone. As I recall-- they were saying we would lose that game.

f ESPN gameday for the way we were treated that day.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Grothe Continues To Confound His Critics

Published: Oct 18, 2006

TAMPA - After University of South Florida QB Matt Grothe delivered comeback victories in the Bulls' first three games, critics waited patiently for the redshirt freshman to falter.

At last check, they were still waiting.

Grothe, who was recognized by ESPN.com as the Big East Conference's biggest surprise, has completed 63 percent of his passes (104-for-165) for 1,388 yards and nine TDs. He also leads USF with 460 yards and seven TDs rushing. Grothe leads the Big East and is 12th nationally in total offense with 264 yards per game.

"Matt's a special player. He's been good to us [receivers] spreading the ball out," said receiver Amarri Jackson, who is tied for third on the team with 15 catches for 196 yards and one TD. "And he gets some plays made with his feet, also. Anytime you have a special player like that you want to be able to use him in the best way."

BIG EAST BENEFITS: When college coaches go through their sales pitch to potential recruits, they all look for an edge. Since joining the Big East before last season, USF has enjoyed advantages it didn't have in Conference USA.

"If you're in a BCS conference it's going to help your recruiting and give you an edge," Bulls coach Jim Leavitt said. "I think if you're in the BCS you're always going to have a chance at doing a little bit more recruiting than the other conferences."

Gregg Becnel

Amazing how the headlines vary between the two papers.

The Trib takes a subtle jab at Grothe by making up imaginary critics  in their headline, Grothe Continues To Confound His Critics, whereas today the Times' headline was "Leavitt says Grothe's promise was evident early"

Completely different twist. The tribune wants to try and twist their knives deeper while the Times just reports the news.

Its sad how quickly the Tampa Trib has fallen...