• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Taurus Johnson and RB's

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

No Doubt SANJAY !

Excited to see him behind GrothE ... we have a young (and I BULLieve TALENTED) RB crew.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

talent doesnt seem to be a problem for the years to come.  lets just hope guys dont get injuried, suspended, or continue to make stupid penalties....those seem like the only factors that can keep us from competing for our first ever birth in the AP top 25

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Can't wait for a 25 carry game by Ponton.

And expect to rarely see Williams in 2007, with Ponton, Plancher, Dorsey and the RS'd FR . . . Williams has done well for us and we are lucky to have him. He hits the hold fast and has good speed. And he carries a punch at point of impact in his small frame - he's built like a door knob !

E.T., I don't know about having good speed, but Williams is lucky if he's 5ft 7inches, but at around 200lbs he's a load, and somewhat shifty which is why he's able to have some success at the BCS level.  He's low so it's difficult for the opposition to see him hitting through the line, and his thick, compact frame makes him somewhat difficult to take down too....he's not a force, but he has some unique physical features that give him a small edge at times.  

Aston Samuels.  You cannot run for 1500 yards at Belle Glade and not have ability.

Darn skippy Sanjay...the names of Belle Glade Central RB's are pretty distinguished...Fred Taylor, Santonio Holmes, Travis Taylor....

Larry Taylor went to Day, the guy that was torching us for Uconn, there only real offense that night.

Yeah, and they say Aston Samuels can really fly too, your typical Belle Glades, Pahokee, Clewiston, Imokalee, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres type athlete.

Would you guys expect Dorsey to be RS'd in 2007 since we should have good depth ?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

B Williams had a fumble at KU that hurt us. I like the threat of having him and Ponton in the back field. I have said since last year that I thought Ricky was going to fill Andre's shoes just fine

Remember Taurus Johnson is one of the fastest Bulls, in the spring he ran the fastest forty time at 4.44 (although a few notable speedy Bulls didn't run the 40 like Jenkins, Hester, Gilliam, Jamaal Jenkins), and has run the forty in 4.39, and at a HS showcase camp he was rumored to have run a 4.31.  I think you can see, especially on those WR bubble screens that he has an innate ability to accelerate in a hurry, and maintain speed off a cut which really legitimizes his speed.  He's a special athlete from that standpoint and his ability to catch the ball.

Wait until Hester is back next year.  He's very similar to Ean Randolph in ability and talent but a bit bigger- height wise.

Walt Smith fumbled against KU.  Ben Williams is an ample runner but this is the key statistic he had 14 carries for 55 yards for a 3.9ypc average, Ponton had 17 carries for 101 yards for a 5.95 ypc average- against the same defense, and virtually the same times...in fact Ponton's could have been more inflated had he not been forced to make two, one yard plunges into the end zone that skewed his stats negatively.  Nothing against Ben, he's an OK change of pace guy, and the OL has improved, but Williams after this week will be nothing more than a guy to spell Ponton and I expect over the next five games the stats to read more like 23 carries for Ponton, and 9 for Williams.  That's the difference between a 1-A RB, and a 1-AA RB.

A 4.4 in the 40 yard dash only equates to about a 12 second 100m. When we get some guys that run a 4.2 then we will know the program has arrived.  Taurus is extremely fast though!

More so than speed ... I care about catching, downfield blocking and route running.

8-)

B Williams had a fumble at KU that hurt us. I like the threat of having him and Ponton in the back field. I have said since last year that I thought Ricky was going to fill Andre's shoes just fine

Remember Taurus Johnson is one of the fastest Bulls, in the spring he ran the fastest forty time at 4.44 (although a few notable speedy Bulls didn't run the 40 like Jenkins, Hester, Gilliam, Jamaal Jenkins), and has run the forty in 4.39, and at a HS showcase camp he was rumored to have run a 4.31.  I think you can see, especially on those WR bubble screens that he has an innate ability to accelerate in a hurry, and maintain speed off a cut which really legitimizes his speed.  He's a special athlete from that standpoint and his ability to catch the ball.

Wait until Hester is back next year.  He's very similar to Ean Randolph in ability and talent but a bit bigger- height wise.

Walt Smith fumbled against KU.  Ben Williams is an ample runner but this is the key statistic he had 14 carries for 55 yards for a 3.9ypc average, Ponton had 17 carries for 101 yards for a 5.95 ypc average- against the same defense, and virtually the same times...in fact Ponton's could have been more inflated had he not been forced to make two, one yard plunges into the end zone that skewed his stats negatively.  Nothing against Ben, he's an OK change of pace guy, and the OL has improved, but Williams after this week will be nothing more than a guy to spell Ponton and I expect over the next five games the stats to read more like 23 carries for Ponton, and 9 for Williams.  That's the difference between a 1-A RB, and a 1-AA RB.

A 4.4 in the 40 yard dash only equates to about a 12 second 100m. When we get some guys that run a 4.2 then we will know the program has arrived.  Taurus is extremely fast though!

Actually it equates to 11 seconds in the 100m, but who's calculating.

Furthermore, a forty yard dash is typically not run on track, with track shoes, in tight running shorts, with running blocks....that's the difference chumly.

Have you heard of a kid named Ryan Gilliam?  Fastest 50m time in the PAC10, he's a transfer from Oregon (you know that legendary Oregon track program).  Ryan Gilliam ran track for USF, had our fastest 100m time of something like 10.34.  Ryan has allegedly ran a 4.25, but given the fact of how forty yard dashes are run I find it amazing for a kid to even do it under 4.5.  Did you know the NFL times kids on the combine on turf, with no running blocks...

Ryan Gilliam is a cornerback that plays considerably for USF.  You know, I've never heard of a kid that's run a 4.2, sure there's legends out there, allegedly Rocket Ismael did it, allegedly Deion Sanders did, but when they got to the NFL combine none came close to it.

Taurus Johnson is a very legit, and very real 4.4 kid, those are very, very hard to come by...he wasn't offered by Clemson, WVU, South Carolina, Auburn, Miss State, and decommitted from UF for nothing.  He's a very special athlete because not only does he possess exceptional straight ahead speed, but he also has great acceleration off the breaks, a rare ability.

By the way, Taurus Johnson was also an exceptional HS track star too.  Did you know he ran the anchor for a Cape Coral team that made it to the state finals, and did you know his personal best 100m time was around 10.7....so, he's plenty fast enough on the track too.

By the way, despite Ryan Gilliam, and TJ, Jenkins, and Hester, and all these other speedsters many believe that Jamaal Jenkins is the fastest Bull.  A kid that plays corner and walked on out of Belle Glades, his brother is Aston Samuels, is it any wonder that people say Aston Samuels can absolutely fly- some predict he'll move to slot and become the next Hugh Smith, Ean Randolph type for us.

Aston Samuels, is it any wonder that people say Aston Samuels can absolutely fly- some predict he'll move to slot ...

Interesting !