• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting the O-Line

Guest TKBlue(Guest)

After watching film on Sampson Genus, and as an old Hog myself, I was very impressed. Even though he has a fairly high 40 time even for a Hog, he moved very well on film in close quarters, and really sustained his blocks. He also pulled well which is pretty amazing for a kid 315 lbs. Except for his heighth I think we have a real gem.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Any chance of moving that quickness and size to the DT then?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

less than 3oo lbs need not apply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

Brett & The Trib:

Panama City Bay OL Jeremiah Warren and Bradenton Southeast DE David Fonua, who signed in February but didn't meet college entrance requirements, have met the NCAA Clearinghouse qualifying standards and are working on the admissions process at USF, associate AD Steve Horton said. Both players should be enrolled by January and will be able to participate in spring practice.

Ex-Bull playing a role in Grimes' recruitment

By Dave Glaser, USFBullsEYE.com Managing Editor – Rivals.com

Although USF's program is only 10 seasons old, the Bulls may already be receiving dividends from their football alumni. That certainly seems to be the case with Fort Meade High offensive line prospect Micah Grimes.

"My O-line coach played at USF and I've had the privilege of learning from him for the past three years. He's been selling me on USF from the start. He tells me all the time how great everything is there," [highlight]Grimes said. "He doesn't have to sell too hard, though. They've been my No. 1 for awhile. It's a great program that's really going in the right direction."[/highlight]

Grimes, a 6-foot-4, 290-pound guard, was tutored at Fort Meade by Billy Attix, a former Bulls starter whose career was shortened to just two seasons (1998-99) because of a neck injury. And Grimes has proven to be Attix's star pupil. He's been the anchor of the Miners' offensive line and part of a group of seniors who will leave a legacy of success.

At one point, Grimes looked to have his recruitment already complete. Following a visit to North Carolina State in late September, Grimes made a verbal commitment to the Wolfpack. It had been reported that he stepped away from that pledge, but Grimes said that's not the case.

"I didn't want to talk bad about anyone, but that's not how it happened. When I told the coaches I was accepting their offer, they backed off. I guess they wanted to keep looking and they weren't ready for me to commit," Grimes said. "I want to get that out, because once I commit, I'm going to keep my commitment."

One thing that experience has produced is a more deliberate approach to recruiting for Grimes. Although he made no secret that USF is clearly the program to beat, he is keeping communication lines open. He received an in-home visit from Middle Tennessee offensive line coach Billy Ray Stephens on Tuesday and will visit the Blue Raiders on Dec. 9. Grimes also expects to check out Troy the following weekend. He has not yet scheduled a trip to USF, but he was on campus this summer for the program's one-day Senior Showcase.

"I didn't participate because of an injury, but I like everything about USF. They're in the Big East, playing for a big bowl. They have great facilities. I think they're ready to break into the Top 25 by next year. What else could you ask for?" said Grimes, who is also being recruited by UCF, FAU, Iowa State and Colorado State (academic).

Guest Josh Newberg(Guest)

As of now the Bulls have not offered Grimes, and they have pretty much stopped recruiting him.

Josh Newberg

:o

I sure do hope we are getting some good beef up front! 1 so far and guess that we are just making offers to guys that can really contribute instead of "projects".

You see the other schools he's being recruited by, but no mention of offers ... wonder if he'll walk-on to USF ?

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I sure do hope we are getting some good beef up front! 1 so far and guess that we are just making offers to guys that can really contribute instead of "projects".

You see the other schools he's being recruited by, but no mention of offers ... wonder if he'll walk-on to USF ?

Genus, and Warren are coming, and the word is McCaskill is eligible too.  That's three.  I've got a good feeling about Elvis Fisher.  I think we'll do just fine and sign around 5 OL.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

less than 3oo lbs need not apply

Actually, they can.

Someone with the frame, footwork and speed can put on the weight during his RS year and maintaining or improving technique.  Size is important, but it can be added easier than teaching someone who's already big have good technique.

Genus, and Warren are coming, and the word is McCaskill is eligible too.  That's three.  I've got a good feeling about Elvis Fisher.  I think we'll do just fine and sign around 5 OL.

And I would be happy with this take ... what do you know about the RS'd O-Linemen ?