• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

I know this is over and done with, but perhaps some ex-players and/or knowledgeable fans could possibly explain this penalty for me.

Regarding Bleakley's chop block penalty (against Kansas, I believe):  Why was his illegal, but not the fullback from Marshall on a UCF player tonight (if you're watching)?  It was so clear the fullback dove for the defender's ankles and the sidline referee was standing RIGHT THERE.  And I've seen this many times in other games, and no penalties.

I thought a chop block is illegal when a defender is already engaged in a block and a different blocker dives in below the knees towards the same defender.

I truly think Bleakley's block was legal, and it was crucial when we were penalized for it.

Just curious on the technicality.

Guest R_to_the_izzo

From the NCAA rule book:

ARTICLE 3. Achop block is:

a. An obviously delayed block at the thigh or below against an opponent

(except the runner) who is in contact with a teammate of the blocker, is

in the act of disengaging from the first blocker or has just disengaged

from the first blocker but is still confronting him. When in question, the

contact is at the thigh or below (A.R. 2-3-3-I and II).

b. A high-low, low-high or low-low combination block by two nonadjacent

linemen with or without a delay between contacts occurring in the

neutral zone.

c. A high-low, low-high or low-low combination block by any two offensive

players with or without a delay between contacts when the initial contact clearly occurs beyond the neutral zone (i.e., all involved players

are beyond the neutral zone) (A.R. 2-3-3-III and IV).

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Definition = Confusion

Guest R_to_the_izzo

What angles were the two blocks? Bleakly's sounds like he came in from behind, while UCF's sounds like it was with the defender in front of him.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

From the NCAA rule book:

ARTICLE 3. Achop block is:

a. An obviously delayed block at the thigh or below against an opponent

(except the runner) who is in contact with a teammate of the blocker, is

in the act of disengaging from the first blocker or has just disengaged

from the first blocker but is still confronting him. When in question, the

contact is at the thigh or below (A.R. 2-3-3-I and II).

b. A high-low, low-high or low-low combination block by two nonadjacent

linemen with or without a delay between contacts occurring in the

neutral zone.

c. A high-low, low-high or low-low combination block by any two offensive

players with or without a delay between contacts when the initial contact clearly occurs beyond the neutral zone (i.e., all involved players

are beyond the neutral zone) (A.R. 2-3-3-III and IV).

In other words, you can't hit a defender low while he's engaged with someone, and you can't high/low him with a teammate (it's a shame doing this puts people at risk, because it is REALLY fun to high/low someone.  If it didn't risk injuring them i'd have done it constantly).  This is a rare call.  The block below the waist outside of the tacklebox is more common isn't it?  I was fairly certain they were 2 different things.

NOTE: In the neutral zone you can "high-low" as long as the blockers are adjacent (T-G or G-C)...

Most of the time, the call is for (A) ... a low block on a defender already being blocked...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I know this is over and done with, but perhaps some ex-players and/or knowledgeable fans could possibly explain this penalty for me.

Regarding Bleakley's chop block penalty (against Kansas, I believe):  Why was his illegal, but not the fullback from Marshall on a UCF player tonight (if you're watching)?  It was so clear the fullback dove for the defender's ankles and the sidline referee was standing RIGHT THERE.  And I've seen this many times in other games, and no penalties.

I thought a chop block is illegal when a defender is already engaged in a block and a different blocker dives in below the knees towards the same defender.

I truly think Bleakley's block was legal, and it was crucial when we were penalized for it.

Just curious on the technicality.

USF was called for this:

[highlight]Illegal low block

A player can not block a person below the knees. [/highlight]

I was really not watching the UCF game that intently last night.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

The guy Bleakley blocked was definitely not engaged, so he must have been flagged for blocking below the waist.  I think the ref just called it out wrong.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

The block I saw last night in the UCF game was a mirror image of Bleakley's block.  I mean it was EXACTLY the same block, as I saw it.  A FB or TE, not sure which, was leading the runner and dove right for the ankles of a LB and took him out.  And I've seen the same block many times in other games.  Just not sure why Bleakley was penalized for it.  And it was a very crucial penalty on us in that game.  

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

You can block below the knees between the tackles on the LOF.  It's just outside this region of the field you can't dive at the knees...I think.  IMO, Bleakley's block was marginal if I remember correctly.