• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why the distinction between the...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

AP and Coach's poll/USA Today poll when talking about how many ranked team victories USF has in the papers/fish wraps.  Both polls are part of the BCS.  They are equals.  USF has 2 victories vs ranked teams - BGSU in 2002 & UL in 2005.  I'm sick and tired of the media making a distinction.  The FL media in peticular should point out that victory vs BGSU was against an Urban Meyer team.  I wonder when the media quits counting our victories vs. ranked teams.  Gawd our FootBulls need to win.

And what the F is up with all the negative spin on playing Friday nite in the Trib.  Like USF should give up $150K for high school FB in the TB area.  Are all those HS's gonna funnel talent to USF if they did?  Not likely.  Yes, Fridays prolly should be left alone for HS FB.  I'm fine with Tu-Th & Sat college football but maybe HS should start at 6:00 and ESPN games at 9pm so there is much less conflict.  Additionally, maybe ESPN should make a $25K donation in the Co. the ESPN game is being played.  This money would go to the county schools' athletic fund.  Still the article just seems odd...even kinda vindictive.

With that said, a Friday nite game for USF compared to a Sat. nite game has about 8K-10K less in attendance.  Doing the math, that $150K does harding make up the difference.  Gotta think Friday nite is all about national exposure.

On another topic, why can't HS students ages 15-17 y.o. get into  USF sports activities for 1/2 price?  Seems like a decent marketing/recruiting tool.  Prolly some NCAA BS.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

On another topic, why can't HS students ages 5-17 y.o. get into  USF sports activities for 1/2 price?  Seems like a decent marketing/recruiting tool.  Prolly some NCAA BS.

Good idea, but you're preachig to the choir brudda...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

I would assume the distinction is made because the articles are written by the press, who naturally think their poll is better than the coach's poll.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

On another topic, why can't HS students ages 5-17 y.o. get into  USF sports activities for 1/2 price?  Seems like a decent marketing/recruiting tool.  Prolly some NCAA BS.

Good idea, but you're preachig to the choir brudda...

I don't think money is the real problem. If people wanted to see the Bulls they would pay eagerly pay the $25/ticket as opposed to $12.50/ticket. We also don't want to devalue our tickets and potentially alienate our existing season ticket holders. If they just want to get butts in the seats then perhaps we should try and ally with a local corporation and have them subsidize tickets for a local high schools, YMCA etc... The University of Memphis has a great relationship with FedEx. The Tigers get paid and their seats are filled on a regular basis.

Right now we just need to win and keep growing the season ticket base past 20K. I would love to be at 25K by 2010. IMO, once we hit 30K season tix we can start having a serious discussion about our own stadium.

Beat Rutgerls

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I actually think (since the seats are empty anyways) we should give all the high schools in the area seats in the third levels for free.  Like each player and coach 2 tickets or even more.  There's parking money and concessions that Ray J would make.  And for USF, Hell I think that'd be a powerful recruiting tool. The other universities can't do something like that (for a good reason though).

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

I actually think (since the seats are empty anyways) we should give all the high schools in the area seats in the third levels for free.  Like each player and coach 2 tickets or even more.  There's parking money and concessions that Ray J would make.  And for USF, Hell I think that'd be a powerful recruiting tool. The other universities can't do something like that (for a good reason though).

What would be the incentive for a family of 5 with three high school kids to want to buy season tickets for their three kids?

Most of the times the kids are going to want to hangout and watch the game by the Pirate ship, so if that is the case, if their kids are getting in free and they aren't going touse their seats anyways....why buy the extra season tickets?

Besides we get hardly anything from concessions and parking....that is why we need our own OCS if we can ever get over that 30-40K season tix threshold.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

^^^^^^

I agree, but the recruiting factor would potentially make up for lost money.  

Do the area highschooler's and families have season tix?  

I thought that was more of an alumni thing.  

Maybe a few seasons of free tickets for highschool football players we could lure area families into paying for tickets.  Extra recruiting power will help the team.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I may be wrong about this but at the time we played BGSU, I thought they were ranked #23 by USA Today, not the AP. They had just lost to NIU the week before and dropped significantly in the rankings.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

^^^^^^

I agree, but the recruiting factor would potentially make up for lost money.  

Do the area highschooler's and families have season tix?  

I thought that was more of an alumni thing.  

Maybe a few seasons of free tickets for highschool football players we could lure area families into paying for tickets.  Extra recruiting power will help the team.

I'm not sure you understand how our lease with RJS works-- we pay for each section of the stadium we use.  Just opening up the upper deck costs quite a bit of money in itself, then depending on how many sections you need it requires additional dollars. So giving away those tickets would be expensive and I doubt we would give away tickets like that.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The AP isn't part of the BCS anymore.

Why don't they praise a victory over an Urban Meyer ranked BGSU team in 2002? It was a great victory, but it was 4 years ago and they were ranked 25th in the Coaches Poll (unranked in AP) coming off a loss the previous week.  The distinction is usually made because the AP is the poll those writers vote on, it's their poll.