• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt blames bad info for call

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

Although this won't sit well with smazza's "Jim Leavitt is a horrible coach and I'm an expert on football coaching" mentality, USF going for it on 4th and down at the 3 yard line was a worthwhile gamble.  Defense is SUPPOSED to be our strength and offense Kansas' weakness, so even if we hadn't gotten the first down, we had every expectation that we would be getting the ball back in good field position.  Given the bad angle on those short kicks and the fact that any FG for USF right now isn't a chip shot and it was a worthwhile gamble.  The play call absolutely sucked, but the decision to go for it wasn't as bad.  The fact that the defense then allowed Kansas to convert a 3rd and 6 from the 6 yard line (foreshadowing a bunch of converted 3rd and longs) was what hurt us there.  

I also don't see anybody pissing and moaning about Grothe's horrible decision to throw that pass at the end of the half.  If he throws that ball away we are still in FG range to score with 8 seconds left.  

USFFan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Although this won't sit well with smazza's "Jim Leavitt is a horrible coach and I'm an expert on football coaching" mentality, USF going for it on 4th and down at the 3 yard line was a worthwhile gamble.  Defense is SUPPOSED to be our strength and offense Kansas' weakness, so even if we hadn't gotten the first down, we had every expectation that we would be getting the ball back in good field position.  Given the bad angle on those short kicks and the fact that any FG for USF right now isn't a chip shot and it was a worthwhile gamble.  The play call absolutely sucked, but the decision to go for it wasn't as bad.  The fact that the defense then allowed Kansas to convert a 3rd and 6 from the 6 yard line (foreshadowing a bunch of converted 3rd and longs) was what hurt us there.  

I also don't see anybody pissing and moaning about Grothe's horrible decision to throw that pass at the end of the half.  If he throws that ball away we are still in FG range to score with 8 seconds left.  

USFFan

YOU HAVE DEMONSTRATED TOO ME YOU DONT KNOW THE GAME

OR THE OPPONENT

SORRY YOU CANT SEPARATE THE DECISION TO GO FOR IT AND THE PLAY.THEY GO HAND IN HAND.IF YOU DONT HAVE A PLAY TO GAIN NECESSARY YARDAGE THAN YOU KICK THE FILED GOAL,

YOU are obviously another newbie so i will go easy on you

MANGINO IS AN OFFENSIVE WHIZ AS HE DEMONSTRATED BY PUTTING UP ENOUGH POINTS TOO WIN

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

When you have a weak offense and a strong D, you take the points.  All you you talking about momentum need to remember two words: The lead.  2 kicked field goals and we were tied on that last drive.  We were in range more than once, even for benzer.  He would have had a chance to kick a game winner on that last drive!  That's why you take the points.

I don't think I'm alone there though.  I'd wager more than half of the championship coaches would take the points in that situation, given the relative strengths of the offense and defense.

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Two thoughts here:

1. I can sort of understand why Smith thought the Bulls were closer than two yards away. Those of us at the game were looking at the first-down marker closest to us, the one that isn't official. That orange first-down pointer was set down at least two feet short of the real first-down line. If the TV people used the pointer to set their yellow line on the field, then they were way off.

Then again, you always take the points on the road, especially early. You shouldn't be relying on TV to tell you where the first down mark is, you should know that yourself. And you shouldn't run a QB sneak on 4th and 2, ever.

2. The most overlooked part of the Walt Smith fumble - why was he even getting the ball there in the first place? I think that was his first touch of the game, after barely playing last week. The Bulls really need to just decide on one, maybe two backs so that even if they don't get big yardage, they at least get a rhythm and aren't coming into the game cold all the time.

And while we're piling on our offensive coaches... you know, you are allowed to throw the ball on 2nd and 21. Having Grothe run for three yards doesn't really help things.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

I watched the replay several times and Walt Smith's knee was down before fumbling.

I freeze framed on my TiVo several times, and his knee was not down before fumbling.  The ball was out and his knee continued down in the next frame.  It was very close, but it is very unlikely that call would have been reversed.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

JL has always been a risk taker and hind sight is 20-20.  I for one would have tryed for the field goal but with our kicker that was not a sure thing.

GAME OVER MOVE ON TO RUTGERS.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  473

Let Matt kick the field goal!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Just kidding, guys ~ don't lynch me!!!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

THEY ARENT EVEN AWARE OF THE SPOT OF THE BALL

Anyone who has coached a football game (which is appearantly many on this board) would know that the assistants in the box give the head coach the down and distance over the headsets the moment a play ends.  You can't wait until the ball is spotted(especially now with the new clock rule), to do so beacause of personel changes and the play call must be made quickly (there is this little 25 second play clock that is sort of important).

I would think the coach(es) upstairs told Leavitt that it would be 1st & Goal or 4th & inches. I didn't see the game, but from what I have read/heard, no one would have expected the refs would miss the spot by nearly two full yards giving USF fourth and 2.

A better arguement could have been that maybe we take a timeout here. (I probably should not have said that ... just more fuel, but some don't need it.

Okay ... back to the regularly scheduled lynch mob ...

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,446
  • Days Won:  43

Shouldnt the players communicate that with the coaches??? Anyway it is all water under the bridge. What if we line up to kick the FG only to have Benzer miss the kick?? Then all of you naysayers would have said that USF should have went for it on 4th down.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

Those are good points, ET, and you guys are right.  It is over, he is a better coach than I will ever be, and it is time to move on.  Remember, the reason we agonize over this stuff is that we love Bulls football so much.  Life goes on hold for months.  That is a very, very good thing.