• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Remember How the Media "infiltrated" USF....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

to discover that Ponton, Julmiste, and Chambers smoked pot and got suspended?

Well it turns out we aren't the only ones who have that problem. The Orlando Sentinel after getting no answer from UF why star DT Marcus Thomas was suspended 5 games went to the mother...

I'm bringing this up because I had several people bash me on here for saying this happens everywhere. The level of media coverage on this and the questions Urban Meyer gets will be unlike anything the Jim got pissed about.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-bk-marcus092006,0,1563668.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

to discover that Ponton, Julmiste, and Chambers smoked pot and got suspended?

Well it turns out we aren't the only ones who have that problem. The Orlando Sentinel after getting no answer from UF why star DT Marcus Thomas was suspended 5 games went to the mother...

I'm bringing this up because I had several people bash me on here for saying this happens everywhere. The level of media coverage on this and the questions Urban Meyer gets will be unlike anything the Jim got pissed about.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-bk-marcus092006,0,1563668.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

Two differences, whether important or not ......... One, the UF story was investigated AFTER the player was suspended and didn't play a game. It is the Orlando Sentinel. I believe a lot of us were saying that the local media in those college towns would not do something like that.

They hadn't even announced that the player was suspended, he just didn't show for practice and the media ran in on it (He's a potential high draft pick and one of UF's better players.)

The local media, I'm not buying that the Gainesville paper wouldn't have ran to have the scoop 1st. Not to mention that there are more UF alum and boosters in the Sentinel's circulation route than the Gainesville paper's

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

Gainesville paper would not have broken that story....why doesn't the press (Trib, etc.) now bash Florida for not coming out with the story.  Brett McMurphy??

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

They hadn't even announced that the player was suspended, he just didn't show for practice and the media ran in on it (He's a potential high draft pick and one of UF's better players.)

So Ponton, Julmiste and Chambers weren't practicing when the story first broke here?

The local media, I'm not buying that the Gainesville paper wouldn't have ran to have the scoop 1st. Not to mention that there are more UF alum and boosters in the Sentinel's circulation route than the Gainesville paper's

Still disagree. There MAY be more GAtor fans volume wise, but proportionately there is no comparison and I just doubt a reporter living and working in Gainesville digs up that story ..... just my opinon.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

You know what I picked up from that was the fact that they have the 50% policy, similar to that we recently revoked.  We now have a 20% suspension policy if I'm not mistaken.  

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

You know what... it was only on the message board here for how many days... Brett finally decided to dig after all the speculation and heard what we had been saying on here. I don't understand why everyone is getting their panties in a bunch. Wasn't Smazza the first to bring it up... hell... he's in LA... what the f*ck would an LA guy know about who's smoking out in Tampa? For people riding Brett... it was the message board that broke the news... Brett only confirmed the rumors... back off Brett... it was the fault of the board. Anyone who thinks Moises and two other running backs are better than Ponton after seeing Ponton play last year really need to reevaluate their fantasy football skills. Smazza and some others had the intution to suggest something other than Ponton getting beat out had played a part. Maybe that's why he makes the big bucks as an attorney... who'da thought?

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,446
  • Days Won:  43

Sheriff,

I just cant wait until we get those players back after three more games. Those three players will make USF stronger. We are very lucky to be 3-0 without having those key guys playing. The worse we can do now is go 3-3 before they come back.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Ponton was the player we couldnt wait to see play this year.  it was obvious something was up.  some people just think if it is negative it cant be us.  

I agree Sherrif. It was my point at the time. However, I had people that stories don't build like this elsewhere, that schools release it. This was almost the same situation, a rumor that led the media to call the player's mother.

Sentinel or not, it still is a local news source for UF that covers a wide area of fans and covers a good portion of the alumni and booster population. The Sentinel story quickly spread to ESPN, and otehr sports media outlets which led Meyer to have to address the suspension this afternoon in a press conference.