• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How good IS Kansas?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

We suck. We beat arguably one of the worst teams in D-Ia Louisiana Monroe by 2? KU message boards want to say it was a fluke game, but the showing on ESPN2 last Friday night didn't help, losing to Toledo, a team KU beat 2 years ago 63-7 or something. Leavitt will have your boys fired up and it will be a marquee win. I know you are all jazzed about UCF, but on the national scale that means diddly-poo. Kansas may suck, but it is Big 12 and a well-known school.....for bball!

They (UCF) are the ones "jazzed".

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

KU isn't the KU of last season, they aren't very good. They pulled out a win vs. La-Monroe by 2 points. They lost to Toledo on a nite where Toledo had ZERO offense. They will struggle to make a bowl game.

I know we haven't done much better and I believe this game will be close and hard fought.

However, IF we win this isn't a win I'd go throwing around as marquee...

if i were a directional florida school in conference-USA, errr, the big East, a win against a Big 12 school with a national name like Kansas should be considered marquee. You guys aren't UF, FSU, or UM. Remember??

The university of miami just got their pants pulled down...By a school in the...um...Big East.

I'm not sure I'd want to be them this year anyway.  And that tight win by FSU over troy? Impressive.  We're closing the gap, but mostly because those schools are falling.  

Right now, the big xii is barely better than the BE, if at all.  They're pretty much the same top to bottom, but with 4 extra schools (about the same at each tier - top, middle, and cellar).  USF is just as marquee in football as Kansas.  Not very.  Noticable, at least.  We did make bowls after all.

If USF wins, it's not a marquee win.  If Kansas wins, that's not a marquee win either.  Neither of us are ranked, and neither of us have have played impressive, blow-a-good-team out football this season.  Mighty snooty to consider yourselves any different in the sport in question.

Guest R_to_the_izzo

A win over this KU team would not be Marquee. Pounding l'ville last year got us on the radar of the guy who draws the map. This win would just mean the USF-Rutgers game on the duece would be two teams at 4-0 heading into BE play. I think a win of Rutgers would give us more national attention at this point.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  62

"If USF wins, it's not a marquee win.  If Kansas wins, that's not a marquee win either.  Neither of us are ranked, and neither of us have have played impressive, blow-a-good-team out football this season.  Mighty snooty to consider yourselves any different in the sport in question."

I agree completely.

Somebody asked what a win over KU would do, that a win over Pitt,  two wins over Louisville, and a win over TCU didn't do? The answer to that question is that it would give you a win over a flagship State school in the Big 12.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

This win would just mean the USF-Rutgers game on the duece would be two teams at 4-0 heading into BE play.

That is the big point.  there is already a thread about a press guy talking about surprising undefeated teams.  having an espn game of 2 undefeated teams is always a bigger deal to them and everyone else.

rutgers is getting press, might be ranked if they win (just need 1 upset), and it would be a big east opener for both teams, both undefeated.  

that's the only thing on the line (not diminishing that), but beating a team like kansas is, itself, not a big deal.  I think the press might look a little more kindly on our schedule if we beat Kansas and having beaten UCF, whereas Rutgers has beaten UNC, about an equally talented team as kansas I would imagine.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

WINNING on road in kansas is a good win

it certainly wont cause usf to be  ranked

it should help usf get ready for rutgers

Agree on ALL 3 counts.

Kansas Football is about as known nationally as we are.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Winning is a good win.

Winning is a good win.

Winning is a good win.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8

The answer to your question is "not very".  This team has potential, but it's a building process and they'll be much better next year.  As cliche as it sounds, they will win a couple they shouldn't and lose a couple they shouldn't.  

I think a lot of the hype has to do with the way we finished last year winning several conference games to qualify for a bowl and stomping the living daylights out of Houston in the Ft Worth Bowl.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488

Kansas is a "brand name", regardless of how strong or weak their football team is.  Beating them this coming weekend will equate to positives across the board, with being 4 - 0 the biggest positive for our young program.