• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Those who want UCF series are shortsighted

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

But I feel the program took a major step backwards.

Perhaps you don't realize we have done nothing...the story was about "proposed schedules," who knows if it will ever come to pass in the form it was reported or in any other form.  

yeah nothing is official but if those games did become official someone needs to go through that athletics building with an automatic weapon j/k

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823
  • Days Won:  0

So, since we will be playing TWO GAMES against mid-majors every year, do you want them to be Buffalo, Ball State or UCF?

At least we would not be painting ourselves into a corner with those three or any other team.  We could play any number of teams and walk away at the end of the contract.  Why can't we walk away from CDOA's UCF?

Exactly, mix them in here and there but don't commit regularly to any of them.

I agree the game will always be there. We will play it on our terms.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

It's a matter of since we desire to play lesser teams, why can't it be UCF?

I think I just gave one of many reasons.  Ball State does not want a rivalry with us nor do we with them - that makes us  compatible.  Not that I am for playing Ball State, but that illustrates my point.  Why must we lock ourselves into UCF?

And there's nothing that says we can't walk away from UCF games in the future...

Risking the scorn of The Trib and the Sentinel and potentially the state legislature is enough for me...imagine the pressure if we tried to walk away further down the road?

Bulliever you are 100% correct.  If we are going to walk away, better to walk away now, rather than later when there is even more outside pressures to force us to continue a series we may not want.

Just like we didn't settle for series with Ga Southern, USM, or whoever, let's not settle untill we have a true bcs level rivalry.  That's my opinion anyway.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,086
  • Days Won:  469

Exactly, mix them in here and there but don't commit regularly to any of them.

I think that is the point many have tried to make including the starter of this thread, our fine Bulls Fan from the Lone Star State.  Why allow ourselves to be goaded or roped into anything with anyone that is not in the best interest of our program?

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Heard "Dead Air" Dumig on WDAE 620 at 3:00pm today and he was ripping CJL & USF. Said that he would not go see a USF v Buffalo game as it had no interest to him. Funny, he has probably not attended any USF games. He is a UMiami homer that never attended UMiami.

I realize that his ole stick is to berate the local teams to get listeners to call in. Unless you are a Lightning fan or a gambler we have no sports radio in Tampa.....

Sad............

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Heard "Dead Air" Dumig on WDAE 620 at 3:00pm today and he was ripping CJL & USF. Said that he would not go see a USF v Buffalo game as it had no interest to him. Funny, he has probably not attended any USF games. He is a UMiami homer that never attended UMiami.

I realize that his ole stick is to berate the local teams to get listeners to call in. Unless you are a Lightning fan or a gambler we have no sports radio in Tampa.....

Sad............

Ron and Ian do a good job just dont mention USF.  If you think tampa locals are bad you should listend to the sports radio in jacksonville bleh.  Seriously the callers and the host are pure and utter garbage.  

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

so ucf eventually joins a bcs conf,,,and a chance for a rivalry and a big payday flushed down the toilet while we are playing western k and ball state...yeah i suppose thats the right way to go,,,

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

I agree local sport radio sucks in Tampa. Ron Diaz is a douche. Ian acts like he played big time college ball. Please he played on a bad IU team. Silleo, enough said. And for Dumeg, I used to listen to him, but now that I have Sirius I realize how bad he sucks. If you disagree with him he says he'll kick your ass. Please old man, I would love to tangle with you someday.

The only person on that station is worth listening to is Whitney Johnson.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

Sad............

I popped in there for a few minutes around 4:30, right in the middle of a Kanigit crying about how we are all full of ourselves and we need to get over it...... It was a nasaly, whining voice that matched by personification of most UCFers on here .... Wasn't Phil, though, voice wasn't high enough and I didn't hear any spittle hit the phone as he ranted.   ;)

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I would be a little more relenting if we had scheduled an Iowa, Wisconsin, or even a Texas A&M. But no where, I mean no where are we going to get better by playing 2nd rate teams. I'm sorry. But I feel the program took a major step backwards. 1. It will hurt fan base. USF fans are getting pretty upset by us playing NON D1 teams at home. I know we need tune ups, but these teams are not tune ups. In order to play at a level of competition, you need to schedule competition.( ie look at the attendance for the two games we just had. PITIFULL!!!) Need I say more! 2. Recruiting. This is a major blow to recruits coming. THEY SEE what type of competition we are playing. Look at our old pals So. Miss. They play top notch caliber teams. That's why year in and year out they are good. So what if they lose out to a powerhouse. It makes them stronger towards the middle and end of the season. I am sorry to say boys, the days of the "trailer" mentality is gone.  

We may not be short sighted not wanting to play UCF. I for one think this game should continue. But we are blind if we replace UCF with mediocrity.   Reaper

2 different issues:

1) level of competition on our schedule

2) Scheduling UCF on a regular basis

I agree totally that we should be bringing in better opponents, however I disagree that UCF should be an annual game. Let me ask you this honestly, if ucf was located up north would you be looking at them in a different light than buffalo or ball state? Take away the proximity and there isn't much of a difference IMO