• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Incredibly arrogant

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

40k for kansas no, for Indiana and Michigan State pretty darn close. However 40k or not I think any of those will draw a LOT better than the McNeese or FIU games and wanted to point out that there is a large gray area between the comparison made that scheduling UCF would be necessary when looking at the crowds from our previous two games. I'd be surprised if we had less than 35k at any of those games and if the benefit is just a few extra thousand seats I don't think the game is worth it.

besides, ucf is a doo doo NON BCS team and do you really think that once the novelty wears off that we'll keep getting 40k fans?

35k for Indiana? You do know they haven't been to a bowl game in 16 years right? They average about 27,000-30,000 for home games. I just don't see it. I mean we brought in 33,000 for a game against a top 10 opponent, you can't get much more hype than that!

Michigan State might draw a crowd, but I didn't bring them up for that reason and the fact that we don't play them for 7 years.

UCF had 40,000 legitimate fans in seats. It's hard to deny that at this point.

Lose this game a few times and yes, we'll have the extra money from ticket sales for a few thousand a year (remember your not comparing 40k to 0) but I'll guess that you'll lose some fans and local support along the way as we get looked at as a joke of the BCS who can't even beat ucf. Lose this game and the "national exposure" will be to show how little we belong in the BCS since we lost to a team that a "real" BCS team beat 42-0. It will also draw more disrespect to the Big East for housing such a team. So yeah, the money will be nice but the reaction from a loss would not be worth it IMO.

Even worse would be if a rivalry builds up, if that happens it means nothing more then us settling in at their level.

Bullhead, UF is a top 10 team that pulls in the best of the best athletes, everyone knew they would smoke UCF...

If your reasoning is correct, why isn't Colorado being asked to be kicked out of the BCS, they have split their last 8 games against Colorado State. Nobody is talking about them settling at that level. Colorado lost to Fresno State and still won the Big 12 in 2001, they were a couple % points out of the BCS title game (Nebraska, another Big 12 team, went to the title game)

The thing is, we aren't doing fantastic in attendance right now, we don't have the bundles of money that the big BCS schools have, and we have a game here that is a draw.

If we win 4 straight years then I'd say UCF had it's chance, time to move on. If we get a Miami series, it would only add to that point. However, before USF can move completelt to the next level they will need more fan support, this game at least garners some of it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't care  but when I can pull 21 of my friends for an away game then that's a game worth keeping.  We need to accept that eventually UCF will be picked up by one of the BCS conferences so we might as well start this series now.  

What BCS conference is UCF going to be picked up by?  Honest question, people.

Pac10 -No

Big 12- No

Big 10 - No

SEC - No, already at 12 members

ACC - No, already at 12 members

Big East - This is their only hope, and the commisioner has repeatedly stated there are no plans for expansion.  That would give them too many total schools, counting the B Ball schools.  Not gonna happen.

So what conference are we to accept that UCF is going to join?

Face it, the writer was right on the money.  Knight fans would feel exactly the same way we do if they were in the BE and we were CUSA.  And of course, we would be begging for a game with UCF and accusing them of ducking us.  No one is ducking anyone, we just have bigger fish to fry then establishing a series with a CDOA team.  We have nothing to gain, other than the nice crowds it would bring.  Lose, and the BE will continue to be bashed.  Win, and gain absolutely nothing.  The Knights would feel the same way if the roles were reversed.  They at least should admit that.  

I would rather wait and have not true rivalry until one is established with a BCS school, whether it be UM or another school.  We are already on our way to establishing a rivalry with UL.  Establish one BE rivalry and one OOC BCS rivalry.  No more than 2 rivalry games are needed.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't care  but when I can pull 21 of my friends for an away game then that's a game worth keeping.  We need to accept that eventually UCF will be picked up by one of the BCS conferences so we might as well start this series now.  

What BCS conference is UCF going to be picked up by?  Honest question, people.

Pac10 -No

Big 12- No

Big 10 - No

SEC - No, already at 12 members

ACC - No, already at 12 members

Big East - This is their only hope, and the commisioner has repeatedly stated there are no plans for expansion.  That would give them too many total schools, counting the B Ball schools.  Not gonna happen.

So what conference are we to accept that UCF is going to join?

Face it, the writer was right on the money.  Knight fans would feel exactly the same way we do if they were in the BE and we were CUSA.  And of course, we would be begging for a game with UCF and accusing them of ducking us.  No one is ducking anyone, we just have bigger fish to fry then establishing a series with a CDOA team.  We have nothing to gain, other than the nice crowds it would bring.  Lose, and the BE will continue to be bashed.  Win, and gain absolutely nothing.  The Knights would feel the same way if the roles were reversed.  They at least should admit that.  

I would rather wait and have not true rivalry until one is established with a BCS school, whether it be UM or another school.  We are already on our way to establishing a rivalry with UL.  Establish one BE rivalry and one OOC BCS rivalry.  No more than 2 rivalry games are needed.

unless your the gators, they amount of rivals they have is insane.  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

yea...regardless of which team is better (not the arguement anyone is trying to make, i think we know why  ;D )  but BCS schools do not have rivals with non-BCS schools.

So says:

Colorado vs Colorado St

Ole Miss vs Memphis

Tennessee vs Memphis

Kentucky vs Louisville (UL was a CUSA Team till last year)

Notre Dame vs Army

Notre Dame vs Navy

Point is...Jemele Hill...a mostly basketball writer from Detoit...doesn't know much about college football.

If she did...she would realize that not many schools BRAG about scheduling teams like Kansas, UNC, Indiana, etc....

KL

1.  You're actually missing some rivalries.

2.  When I read the topic, I briefly wondered if it was about me.

3.  The last thing I care about is what some UCF chick puts in that paper.

4.  USF doesn't NEED to play UCF, and as of now it is not a rivalry in football.  From an attendance standpoint it makes sense, but theres no reason BOTH schools shouldn't keep their eyes open for better options...Hell, every other school does that.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

all bcs conferences  will expand and adjust in next 10 years

they will become super conferences of 16 teams

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

40k for kansas no, for Indiana and Michigan State pretty darn close. However 40k or not I think any of those will draw a LOT better than the McNeese or FIU games and wanted to point out that there is a large gray area between the comparison made that scheduling UCF would be necessary when looking at the crowds from our previous two games. I'd be surprised if we had less than 35k at any of those games and if the benefit is just a few extra thousand seats I don't think the game is worth it.

besides, ucf is a doo doo NON BCS team and do you really think that once the novelty wears off that we'll keep getting 40k fans?

35k for Indiana? You do know they haven't been to a bowl game in 16 years right? They average about 27,000-30,000 for home games. I just don't see it. I mean we brought in 33,000 for a game against a top 10 opponent, you can't get much more hype than that!

Michigan State might draw a crowd, but I didn't bring them up for that reason and the fact that we don't play them for 7 years.

UCF had 40,000 legitimate fans in seats. It's hard to deny that at this point.

Lose this game a few times and yes, we'll have the extra money from ticket sales for a few thousand a year (remember your not comparing 40k to 0) but I'll guess that you'll lose some fans and local support along the way as we get looked at as a joke of the BCS who can't even beat ucf. Lose this game and the "national exposure" will be to show how little we belong in the BCS since we lost to a team that a "real" BCS team beat 42-0. It will also draw more disrespect to the Big East for housing such a team. So yeah, the money will be nice but the reaction from a loss would not be worth it IMO.

Even worse would be if a rivalry builds up, if that happens it means nothing more then us settling in at their level.

Bullhead, UF is a top 10 team that pulls in the best of the best athletes, everyone knew they would smoke UCF...

If your reasoning is correct, why isn't Colorado being asked to be kicked out of the BCS, they have split their last 8 games against Colorado State. Nobody is talking about them settling at that level. Colorado lost to Fresno State and still won the Big 12 in 2001, they were a couple % points out of the BCS title game (Nebraska, another Big 12 team, went to the title game)

The thing is, we aren't doing fantastic in attendance right now, we don't have the bundles of money that the big BCS schools have, and we have a game here that is a draw.

If we win 4 straight years then I'd say UCF had it's chance, time to move on. If we get a Miami series, it would only add to that point. However, before USF can move completelt to the next level they will need more fan support, this game at least garners some of it.

There are alot of transplants down here from the MidWest so yes I believe (bowl or no bowl) that we would draw a decent crowd. You don't really think that any of those game would draw as poorly as McNeese do you?

Also, IMO, it all boils down to a battle in the marketing department NOT on the field with UCF. We have a slight edge from our conference affiliation and I don't think it would be wise to piss it away by giving them any acknowledgement at all. If we were at the point of UF that we could confidently believe that (as smazza mentioned) beat up on them year by year than it would be different but realistically I don't think we're there yet.

If all we care about it money, fine take a payday game somewhere that a loss won't have any longer reaching ramifications. Personally I think that our scheduling without UCF is going fine, it may not be immediate but we're consistently improving and crowds are gradually increasing......two years ago the McNeese game would have probably drawn 15k instead of 25k (or whatever it was this year) and the students would have been completely absent.

Anyway, at this point the game is there so there is no choice and unfortunately is is a must win for us and for the good of our program we better find a way to do just that.