• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Couple Problems with Ray Jay...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Agreed.

We need our game stats and we need other games scores.

Now how do we go about getting them??

Who do we need to talk to?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sit back and enjoy our bulls in a state of the art nfl stadium

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,496
  • Days Won:  13

I like the fact they dont show scores. Then I can DVR the Miami games

Guest JulmisteForPrez
sit back and enjoy our bulls in a state of the art nfl stadium

I think you hit the nail right on the head there, smazza.  Not the part about enjoying the NFL stadium....no-no...the part about sitting back.  Herein lies a big problem with our gameday atmosphere.  Since we play in an NFL stadium with a huge pirate ship, a whited-out Bucs flag at midfield, faded out Bucs logos in the endzones, and a sea of empty red & pewter seats, people seem to automatically take an NFL laid-back sort of approach to being a spectator (i.e. too quiet, etc.).  

We need something like Louisville  or UConn built on-campus.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Really though, and this has always been my argument, what does RJS offer that Doak Campbell, The Swamp, Michigan Stadium, Texas Memorial Stadium etc don't outside cupholders and chairbacks (and a retarded looking Pirate Ship and Village)? I don't think either are essiential in all areas. The students stand most the game, whats the point.

Almost all college football stadiums these days (even MAC teams) have video scoreboards with replay functions, and even extra scoreboards to show game stats, other scores, and announcements. They all have locker rooms that are adequately equipped to hold 100 players. They all have adequate amounts of food and bathroom amenities. Most have club seating and luxery boxes suited for their needs.  

RJS stadium is state of the art in this aspect...It makes money for the NFL team that occupies it. The Bucs need 160 Luxery Boxes (we don't), the Bucs need a village and pirate ship to create atmosphere (college football usually can create it's own atmosphere steming from the student section on). The Bucs need cupholders and chairbacks because almost every NFL team now has them and they have to keep up with the Joneses.

It's not like our team gets to use RJS whenever we please. Our locker room isn't anything special or out of the ordinary. And while a handful of recruits say" oh man they play in a pro stadium" rarely does that factor that big into their decision, as gameday atmosphere tends to beat it out in the end (see Dexter McCluster, Jarrad Fayson)

Texas now boasts the largest replay board in the country (beating Arkansas). Michigan stadium seats 112,000 fans and they don't have one chairback seat or cupholder, yet they seem to show every weekend.

Point is RJS is state of the art for an NFL team, because they NEED the money, the college game however doesn't need the dog and pony show the NFL needs to create interest.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Great stuff there, Joe.  And I say "amen" to every bit of it.  Tampa Bay area sports fans are enamored with the NFL scene because of the recent success of the Bucs.  But one of the beautiful parts of the college game is less glamorous stadiums that have more charm and pack in fans that care more about cheering and exhorting their team on to victory.

RayJay, when it comes to football on Sundays, is hard to beat.  But for Saturday evenings....it's a real drawback.  I know Joe and I are in the minority here, but that doesn't mean very much.  Like I said, USF is in a professionally minded market.  On-campus stadium won't come about until some forward thinking people get serious about making us more than the commuter school football program we'll always be as long as we're in a borrowed pewter & red stadium.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I agree with Joe and Mid-South. I sit in section 106 , save for 3 girls, me friend next to me, and my wife. NO, and I mean NO ONE else was making any noise while we were on defense. Of course while we are on offense someone started the wave. I talked to a "painted" student that had come over into our section, and I asked him to do the wave on defense only. He said sure, but most likely thought "yeah right". The time to make noise is while we are on D, I don't care who the opponent is, or what the score is, I don't want our D to give up anything. I will get off of my soapbox now.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not saying that an OCS would solve all of this. But IMO it would help create more of an OUR HOUSE mentality.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

To be fair, they did show stats at halftime last sat night.

As for the band, my 1st game in the south endzone was also my 1st game where I couldnt hear the band....like at ALL.