• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe to Start Saturday vs FIU...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

You guys need to realize that Grothe is going to make his mistakes and you're not going to be happy. He's going to throw interceptions. He threw them in spring, he's thrown them in fall. I like what he brings to the table, but you cannot forget that he is lacking experience and will make bad plays and will have bad games.

You're all so absolute in your opinions...things are rarely so cut and dry.

Let's be a bit "cut and dry" anyway.

Grothe had one of the highest passer ratings we've seen here, 1-aa competition or not.  He also showed decent touch on his bombs, decent poise on his intermediate throws, and good running ability.  Even against some very mediocre teams PJ has thrown about 50% completions...horrible for 1-a QB's these days.

Basically, PJ going out for an injury gave Grothe an opportunity, which he siezed with impressive numbers.  If a player is doing that well, you don't pull him.  Just like it was PJ's job to lose when he started, it's now Grothe's.  

Grothe probably can't handle high level defensive reads yet, but his throws look better than PJ's.  I bet his TD-INT ratio will be at least as good (hell, he just has to get over .500)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Leavitt names Grothe to start

Compiled from Times wires

Published September 5, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Last week, USF coach Jim Leavitt dodged every question about who would be the starting quarterback in the season opener. This week, after the first practice, Leav-itt announced redshirt freshman Matt Grothe will start Saturday against Florida International.

"Grothe will start this week," Leavitt said. "(Quarterback) Pat (Julmiste) did real well too. He was able to get in and make a few plays."

Julmiste, who has 24 starts in a three-year career, suffered a thigh bruise on an 18-yard run Saturday against McNeese State, and Grothe came off the bench to score three touchdowns. The Lakeland Lake Gibson High grad went 9-for-13 passing for 171 yards and two touchdowns. He also rushed for 66 yards and a touchdown.

Leavitt said after practice his decision on Grothe over Julmiste was based on Grothe seeing more playing time in Saturday's 41-10 win.

"It's not (Julmiste's) fault (he's not starting)," Leavitt said. "But Matt got in (the game), made a lot of plays, and we're going to need (all the quarterbacks) this week."

BULL BITS: Thunderstorms cut practice half an hour short. ... Redshirt freshman Antwane Cox did not dress Saturday because of a cyst on his right eye. Sophomore Jessie Hester sat out with an undisclosed injury ... Leavitt said he was uncertain if Moise Plancher's injured right ankle would keep him out of this Saturday's game ... Leavitt said he would make a decision this week on whether to redshirt defensive tackle Tavarious Robinson.

- MIKE CAMUNAS, Times correspondent

For those who think PJ should start ... relax. The QB's were even coming into MSU, now after a game(which GrothE got more reps), the coaches BULLieve that GrothE deserves teh start. I am sure that PJ will get in depending on the score and GrothE's play.

And then we can have this discussion again after FIU  ;)

I watched the first quarter last night, and I saw the same PJ. Waitng for the play tp develope instead of anticipating it. He knows where the receiver should be and should read the D.

FIU's DE had 4 sacks last week and we'll have a better test this week.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Grother is the greatest QB ever to pick up a foot ball, PJ is a poopoo head ;D

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

Leavitt names Grothe to start

Compiled from Times wires

Published September 5, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Last week, USF coach Jim Leavitt dodged every question about who would be the starting quarterback in the season opener. This week, after the first practice, Leav-itt announced redshirt freshman Matt Grothe will start Saturday against Florida International.

"Grothe will start this week," Leavitt said. "(Quarterback) Pat (Julmiste) did real well too. He was able to get in and make a few plays."

Julmiste, who has 24 starts in a three-year career, suffered a thigh bruise on an 18-yard run Saturday against McNeese State, and Grothe came off the bench to score three touchdowns. The Lakeland Lake Gibson High grad went 9-for-13 passing for 171 yards and two touchdowns. He also rushed for 66 yards and a touchdown.

Leavitt said after practice his decision on Grothe over Julmiste was based on Grothe seeing more playing time in Saturday's 41-10 win.

"It's not (Julmiste's) fault (he's not starting)," Leavitt said. "But Matt got in (the game), made a lot of plays, and we're going to need (all the quarterbacks) this week."

BULL BITS: Thunderstorms cut practice half an hour short. ... Redshirt freshman Antwane Cox did not dress Saturday because of a cyst on his right eye. Sophomore Jessie Hester sat out with an undisclosed injury ... Leavitt said he was uncertain if Moise Plancher's injured right ankle would keep him out of this Saturday's game ... Leavitt said he would make a decision this week on whether to redshirt defensive tackle Tavarious Robinson.

- MIKE CAMUNAS, Times correspondent

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/05/Sports/Leavitt_names_Grothe_.shtml

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Here's my thing though, both played very similar when the defense was fresh (and I'm not talking stats at all). They both handled the defense's rush well  minus an INT and Fumble (even if Grothe didn't cause it).

Grothe happened to be in when that defense that played so hard in the beginning gassed out in the middle of the third.

Does that mean Grothe was bad? No! I thought he played great and I was very impressed.  I just think too many people are putting too much into a QB's play against a I-AA team when their defense was gassed.

Had PJ been in that situation everyone would be destroying him for taking til the middle of the 3rd to get the lead back.

I want the QB in who will give us the BEST chance to win now. Grothe never surpassed PJ in preseason camp, and PJ didn't get a chance to play because of an injury. I just think we need to give both a chance against a D-IA defense until it is perfectly clear who the starter is.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I don't understand how some of you continue to defend PJ. Have you not suffered through the last 3 years of USF football with the rest of us?

Soooo excited about Matt.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

What sell's me on Grothe is the 49 yard pass in the air, in stride.....I've seen PJ make that pass some 20-25 times....never once have I seen PJ complete it. I've seen Grothe make that throw once...he completes it. What more do you need? PJ can't throw the long ball near the receiver, regardless of competition. End of story.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I've seen PJ complete it once, in stride, and it was actually during the McNeese state game.  I mentioned to my wife, that was probably the best looking pass I've ever seen Pat throw and that it would likely get called back.  Sure enough... HOLDING, 10 yards, repeat first down.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Beat me to it Velcro.