• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Should Math GrothE start vs FIU?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't know... PJ was the victim of some penalty problems... two Jared Carnes holding calls in a row... as well as only playing for 17 minutes... give him another half to see what he can do - then re-evaluate for the UCF game.

Couldnt disagree more here.  These two games are tune ups where you want your offense to come together in real game situations against someone besides their teammates.  Grothe is also young and needs as much experience as he can get before we get into the meat of our schedule.  If you think Grothe is going to be the starter of the future hear it has to be time to turn the page on the Julmiste era.

See, and I see things differently.  I see Grothe as the QB of the future... but this season is about easing him in to the college game a little at a time... with Julmiste getting most of the snaps and game action (think what Lousiville did with LeFors and Brohm last year).  That way, Grothe doesn't have all the pressure on his shoulders this season, but gets some great experience he can use for his last three years.

That was actually 2 years ago.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe must start!!!!!!!!

A blind man (and our Off. Cord. is blind) can see that PJ gets rattled easily.  He has had 2 years to "get the feel" and hasn't.

He can not throw the long pass, and has no touch on the swing pass, he hesitates on the run (but does run well when he finally decides to.)

Grothe needs the time with the team before we start the real season (that might include UCF, but not certain)

GROTHE !!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe is number 1 on the depth chart according to the tribune.  does that make it official.

Grothe Moves Atop USF Depth Chart

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 4, 2006

Less than 48 hours after Matt Grothe’s University of South Florida debut Saturday, the freshman moved past senior Pat Julmiste atop the Bulls’ depth chart today.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBJLQ77PRE.html

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

I don't see where starting PJ would do a whole lot. This is - honestly - a tune up game.  PJ has played his fair share of those, so this would be a better game experience for Grothe, and wouldn't really do much for PJ.  

On the other hand, how much indecision is there still in place regarding your season starter? Is CJL still evaluating PJ against Grothe on a week-by-week basis? If he is, then he needs to see both of them again this week.

If I were a bettin' man...I'd bet Groth[highlight]e[/highlight] starts henceforth.  Unless PJ has made phenomenal strides in the off-season - and we just didn't see it on Saturday - I think the job is Grothes.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

I don't know... PJ was the victim of some penalty problems... two Jared Carnes holding calls in a row... as well as only playing for 17 minutes... give him another half to see what he can do - then re-evaluate for the UCF game.

Couldnt disagree more here.  These two games are tune ups where you want your offense to come together in real game situations against someone besides their teammates.  Grothe is also young and needs as much experience as he can get before we get into the meat of our schedule.  If you think Grothe is going to be the starter of the future hear it has to be time to turn the page on the Julmiste era.

See, and I see things differently.  I see Grothe as the QB of the future... but this season is about easing him in to the college game a little at a time... with Julmiste getting most of the snaps and game action (think what Lousiville did with LeFors and Brohm last year).  That way, Grothe doesn't have all the pressure on his shoulders this season, but gets some great experience he can use for his last three years.

The difference is that LeFors and Brohm were BOTH good...

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

The difference is that LeFors and Brohm were BOTH good...  

My sentiments exactly.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

GROTHE!  

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Jim, I agree with so many of your points.....up to actually starting PJ. True, PJ played pretty well the other night, and I REALLY wanted him to succeed as our QB given his character and heart however it's pretty obvious he is never going to be the consistent qb we need. If he is the starter this year I believe he'll have a few great games, and of course he'll have alot of really bad games. But to boil it all down, if Grothe is the qb of the future then let's get him in now and not waste a year of experience. I think this is especially important during the tuneup games.

Besides I'm more concerned that Smith will screw this kid up more than getting into games so early will. Somehow I can't help but think that PJ (and Banks) would have been at least a decent qb with the proper guidance, unfortunately it's too late to fix that now for PJ and hopefully Smith has learned enough over the past few years not to screw up a 3rd qb.

... if Grothe is the qb of the future then let's get him in now and not waste a year of experience ...

See also: Leaf, Ryan.

I know, that was the NFL and this is college... but the comparison is fair.  Take a kid who may or may not be ready for I-A, BCS level competiton and throw him to the wolves.  Sure, he was GREAT in high school, and he looked good against I-AA McNeese state... but is he really ready for prime time??

Could it be that the fans' demand for a change in the QB position is masking the reality that MG has played zero games against BCS-level competition, while PJ has played two seasons worth ??

I LOVE the fact that MG will be our QB for three more years... but I want to make sure he plays when he's ready.  If we demand he be thrown into the deep end, and he suffers, it could be a blow to his confidence... which could affect the future of the team.

Only time will tell.