• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What is up with the band

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

19 sousas

and I was asked by a lot of people about playing to the east

the guy above is right... we switch off every other game.  East, west, east, west...

but the pre-game show is always to the west.

and shoop... we have tested ray jay... its impossible to ever hear us in the south end... thats just a pro-stadium's acustics for ya.

Us East coasters appreciate it when we get to hear you directly instead of the echo of the music off the seats.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

It isnt the acoustics of a pro stadium....Its the fact that the band is in the NE corner of the stadium, playing towards the west side of the stadium. Thats why you cant hear them. When that band was directly behind the goal posts in the north endzone in the student section, we were smaller and you could hear us outside of the stadium to the south side in the parking lot.

It has to do with where and how the band is placed, not the stadiums design.

You're both right.  RayJay's design doesn't allow for the band to echo off the west side so the rest of the stadium can hear - so playing from the northeast corner means only the west side of the stadium can hear.  I remember sitting on the east side last year for a couple of games and I never heard the band.

Yea... the location isn't the best... but we need the stairs to get on the field (we used to have to go through the food area which always become hell).  They won't move the stairs, prolly with the students section need to rush the field.  Good and bad with both though.  

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

It isnt the acoustics of a pro stadium....Its the fact that the band is in the NE corner of the stadium, playing towards the west side of the stadium. Thats why you cant hear them. When that band was directly behind the goal posts in the north endzone in the student section, we were smaller and you could hear us outside of the stadium to the south side in the parking lot.

It has to do with where and how the band is placed, not the stadiums design.

You're both right.  RayJay's design doesn't allow for the band to echo off the west side so the rest of the stadium can hear - so playing from the northeast corner means only the west side of the stadium can hear.  I remember sitting on the east side last year for a couple of games and I never heard the band.

Yea... the location isn't the best... but we need the stairs to get on the field (we used to have to go through the food area which always become hell).  They won't move the stairs, prolly with the students section need to rush the field.  Good and bad with both though.  

You are correct about the madhouse up by the pirate ship.  None of those drunk students (no offense if this pertains to you) would move out of the way. I mean come on, we're a huge group of about 150 or so (at the time in 2003) and you can't even have the common courtesy to let us thru.  

Maybe a compromise would be to put the band in the southeast corner in the endzone, so that stairs could be placed there, and students wouldn;t be tempted to rush there, since they're clear on the other side of the stadium.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

My 1st game sitting on the south side of the field......and I couldnt hear the band........until they took the covers off the tubas(?).

My first season playing the Sousa...The bell cover does muffle the sound.  It's even more weird playing with them on.

And what Billy said about the stairs is true.  It's a logistics issue.  I can't wait for USF to finally get our OWN field on campus with accoustics in mind for the betterment of the college football experience.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

My 1st game sitting on the south side of the field......and I couldnt hear the band........until they took the covers off the tubas(?).

My first season playing the Sousa...The bell cover does muffle the sound.  It's even more weird playing with them on.

And what Billy said about the stairs is true.  It's a logistics issue.  I can't wait for USF to finally get our OWN field on campus with accoustics in mind for the betterment of the college football experience.

The low brass sounds great this year. The band sounded pretty balanced. I played sousapone back in the inaugural HOT.  Had a blast!

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Yea Zero... you should send some pics to me... I don't have anything online for the first years.

Check http://band.arts.usf.edu/media.htm

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

{Bull Horns} for Zero.  Thanks for the compliment.

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Well that was before those 'highfalutin digital camera thingies were in every cell phone and cost within the range of a college student budget.  I remember the name of the person that took hundreds, if not thousands of pictures of the first year, but I have no idea how to contact her.  I don't think she continued at USF.

Come to think of it, there were a bunch of game pics scanned and available on the old website.  I wonder what happened to the old 'herd website.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

school needs to pump money into band

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

HOT sounded great, STILL waiting for the new CD to come out. And shocked to hear spazza say that...