• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What is up with the band

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  551
  • Days Won:  1

Why did the band play to the visitor’s side?  I do not recall this happening before.  The side with the team is the home side and bands play to that side.  Not to mention big money alum sit there.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212
  • Days Won:  0

Why did the band play to the visitor’s side?  I do not recall this happening before.  The side with the team is the home side and bands play to that side.  Not to mention big money alum sit there.

They play to the east side occasionally.  By the way, there are plenty (perhaps more)  bulls fans on the east side including me and the faculty of USF.  It's nice to have the band face us once in a while.  The corporate ticket sections on "home" side have a lot of vacant seats, which are embarrassing at times.  

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

My 1st game sitting on the south side of the field......and I couldnt hear the band........until they took the covers off the tubas(?).

I think they are sousaphones, which are big tubas.  I counted 13 of them last night.  The band has moved closer to my section and they are louder this year.  I love the band.  

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

19 sousas

and I was asked by a lot of people about playing to the east

the guy above is right... we switch off every other game.  East, west, east, west...

but the pre-game show is always to the west.

and shoop... we have tested ray jay... its impossible to ever hear us in the south end... thats just a pro-stadium's acustics for ya.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695

How great is this that we ask a question and we get answers from those who know!  I love this board!

Maybe we need a band for each end :)

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

It isnt the acoustics of a pro stadium....Its the fact that the band is in the NE corner of the stadium, playing towards the west side of the stadium. Thats why you cant hear them. When that band was directly behind the goal posts in the north endzone in the student section, we were smaller and you could hear us outside of the stadium to the south side in the parking lot.

It has to do with where and how the band is placed, not the stadiums design.

It isnt the acoustics of a pro stadium....Its the fact that the band is in the NE corner of the stadium, playing towards the west side of the stadium. Thats why you cant hear them. When that band was directly behind the goal posts in the north endzone in the student section, we were smaller and you could hear us outside of the stadium to the south side in the parking lot.

It has to do with where and how the band is placed, not the stadiums design.

You're both right.  RayJay's design doesn't allow for the band to echo off the west side so the rest of the stadium can hear - so playing from the northeast corner means only the west side of the stadium can hear.  I remember sitting on the east side last year for a couple of games and I never heard the band.

Maybe the band should be in the south endzone then.

Funny story, I went to a Bucs game in the 70's and bought tickets at the gate for the south endzone (in the old sombrero).  When we got to our seats they were directly behind the sousaphone players of some band.  No problem though, most of the endzone was vacant!