• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Three Starters Facing Suspensions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Some of you guys just don't get it.

It's not about condoning what these kids have done...it's about doing what is right for the university.  Nobody is bigger than the university. USF is in the process of doing the right thing. They were handling things internally as evidenced by the appeals process currently underway. However, it should have been USF's decision when to break this story NOT A BUNCH OF WANNABE REPORTERS ON A MESSAGE BOARD who don't have a clue.

IMO, this puts the university in a defensive position, when they were clearly doing everything right, including protecting the confidentiality of the student.

Sounds to me that some of you for the sakes of "breaking news" would likely publish our game plans if you were somehow able to get a hold of them. Don't laugh b/c this happened in the Big12 a few years ago.

Amen, Cyber ..........

Rational people may disagree and I disagree with the majority of the board here.  I have had absolutely no knowledge of any suspension or off-field problems but if someone has substantial information I think they should feel free to share it in any forum they choose.  Where would you draw the line?  If the Tampa Tribune had this information do you think they should sit on the story until CJL gave them permission to publish it?  Would you apply the same standards to other news?  

The only complaint I would have is with "fans" that make literally hundreds of unfounded accusations and then always point back to the one accusation they have ever been correct about.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

In the NCAA there is a chance that another school will take a flyer on you if you're kicked out. That is not true in the military. If you're kicked out of school and then immediately transfer to another institution on a full ride where is the lesson?

I agree with most of what you said but off the top of my head I cannot think of another major program that would accept a kid who was kicked off another team for drug violations.  While I certainly agree it doesn't help the particular student athlete involved, at some point I think you have to send a message that a particular behavior is not tolerated at our school.  That being said, I certainly trust CJL to send that message in his way, at his time.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Minotaur,

We're NOWHERE close to the Miami teams. There is a BIG difference between smoking pot on your free time and doing lines of coke in a South Beach night club.

Not to be pesimistic here, but the failure of a drug test could be for any number of drugs. (steroid or cocaine included) Im not really saying that we are in the same category as UM. I am just saying that if you accept it as just a cost of doing business and resign yourself to having criminals on the roster then you are just as guilty. Degrees of guilt or rationalization should have nothing to do with drug or criminal policy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Rational people may disagree and I disagree with the majority of the board here.  I have had absolutely no knowledge of any suspension or off-field problems but if someone has substantial information I think they should feel free to share it in any forum they choose.

I would expect the fans of the team to respect the coaches and administration by letting them handle the situation the way they think is best. What is accomplished by coming on a message board and insinuating stuff like that, true or not? Maybe it makes some people feel important by "breaking" news like this .... I don't know. I just honestly don't know what one accomplishes by doing it.

Where would you draw the line?  If the Tampa Tribune had this information do you think they should sit on the story until CJL gave them permission to publish it?  Would you apply the same standards to other news?

Sadly, in the world of "journalism" today, there's no way the Trib could sit on this because they'd be scared of getting scooped by someone else. I'm just glad that CJL and the others basically said, "Screw you. We'll release the info when WE want to, IF we want to" ......

The only complaint I would have is with "fans" that make literally hundreds of unfounded accusations and then always point back to the one accusation they have ever been correct about.

People just crying out for attention .......

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

It's not about condoning what these kids have done...it's about doing what is right for the university.  Nobody is bigger than the university. USF is in the process of doing the right thing. They were handling things internally as evidenced by the appeals process currently underway. However, it should have been USF's decision when to break this story NOT A BUNCH OF WANNABE REPORTERS ON A MESSAGE BOARD who don't have a clue.

IMO, this puts the university in a defensive position, when they were clearly doing everything right, including protecting the confidentiality of the student.

Sounds to me that some of you for the sakes of "breaking news" would likely publish our game plans if you were somehow able to get a hold of them. Don't laugh b/c this happened in the Big12 a few years ago.

Amen, Cyber ..........

Rational people may disagree and I disagree with the majority of the board here.  I have had absolutely no knowledge of any suspension or off-field problems but if someone has substantial information I think they should feel free to share it in any forum they choose.  Where would you draw the line?  If the Tampa Tribune had this information do you think they should sit on the story until CJL gave them permission to publish it?  Would you apply the same standards to other news?  

Grouper -- the press doesn't need CJL or USF's permission to publish anything, however they are all smart enough to realize that they can be held accountable if they publish too early or erroneously. The fact that it finally broke this weekend suggests that both beat writers felt comfortable with their sources and had nothing to do with USF's giving them permission.

oh btw....if I was Amari Jackson I would be pissed off that my name was dragged through the mud. He has enough problems w/o having to deflect things that are not true.

Guest wildrover

How can a news agency publish something too early?  What could USF possibly do to the tribune if the trib published something as soon as they got it?  Take away the press creditentials I guess but other than that, if nots not a matter of national security than it's up to USF to keep it under wraps if they don't want it written about.  Otherwise its fair game

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we had more than a clue

an old football coach once told me of the players ran the plays correctly it didnt matter if the defense knew what was coming

dont be so **** insecure

the truth never hurt anybody

be honest and forthright with the fan base is the right thing to do

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My opinion is thatthe punishment (suspensions) fit the offense.

I'm sure this has happened in the past and because we were not as high a profile team, the players quietly either served out their suspensions or quietly disappeared from the team.  As we move up the ranks and become a bigger program with more sought after players, this will happen from time to time.  It's not right, but it's the reality of big time football.

We certainly are not alone with this situation and there are a hell of a lot worse situations out there they seem to be tolerated.  In fact there was a segment on ESPN last night about all the things that USC has gone through this past year or so.

Let's remember, these players allegedly tested positive during internal random tests.  This is a bit different from Hill being arrested.  There's a policy in place and the players are subject to the penalties of the policy.  They are being punished and not given preferential treatment.  Are they stupid?  Absolutely!  However, I don't think it's time to throw them out yet.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

an old football coach once told me of the players ran the plays correctly it didnt matter if the defense knew what was coming

Obviously, the Raiders didn't run the plays correctly in Super Bowl XXXVII, then ...

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Rational people may disagree and I disagree with the majority of the board here.  I have had absolutely no knowledge of any suspension or off-field problems but if someone has substantial information I think they should feel free to share it in any forum they choose.

I would expect the fans of the team to respect the coaches and administration by letting them handle the situation the way they think is best. What is accomplished by coming on a message board and insinuating stuff like that, true or not? Maybe it makes some people feel important by "breaking" news like this .... I don't know. I just honestly don't know what one accomplishes by doing it.

Where would you draw the line?  If the Tampa Tribune had this information do you think they should sit on the story until CJL gave them permission to publish it?  Would you apply the same standards to other news?

Sadly, in the world of "journalism" today, there's no way the Trib could sit on this because they'd be scared of getting scooped by someone else. I'm just glad that CJL and the others basically said, "Screw you. We'll release the info when WE want to, IF we want to" ......

People just crying out for attention .......

coaches and administration are part of the problem

they have too much invested to be impartial in their decision making

usf has a mess on their hands

grade problems,baby problems and now drug problems.we are closely approaching   canes territory without the wins

at least miami players made it to field to win championships