• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bilal Powell RB Lake Gibson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Where is Taylor going ?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Powell's Lake Gibson Braves were manhandled by Lakeland on Friday 46-7 but Powell showed some speed and elusiveness on a punt return and a couple long runs that show he could be a Div-1A RB.  

I wish we could have landed Jamar Taylor from Lakeland.  He looks tremendous.

I've told more than a few that I felt Taylor will be the better college RB then Rainey.  Chris Rainey is amazing but just to small.  I see him playing a slot, return man type roll for UF, like Brandon James is doing now, an amazing talent in space but he will not be an effective between the tackles guy in college.   Jamar Taylor though is scary good between the tackles, somewhat like Andre Hall, bounces, punishes, spins and gets yards, and then has a good burst to break away from the pack.

Powell had some amazing stats given the competition.  I didn't see the game but if he put those up during the game, something like 165 yards rushing, and a 65 yard TD return, and a 60 yard kick return----against the Dreadnaughts that's amazing.

Hear Rainey knows he will not be at RB

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Rainey will be used like Harvin is being used for UF this year.  Reverses, Slot Screens and anything else that can get him in space to take advantage of his explosiveness in the open field

Published Saturday, October 7, 2006

LAKE GIBSON 48, AUBURNDALE 7

Powell Runs Wild In Braves Victory

By Del Milligan

The Ledger

AUBURNDALE -- Lake Gibson running back Bilal Powell hit the 1,000-yard season rushing mark on the button Friday night with a 67-yard touchdown gallop, his third score of the game.

And that 10th carry for 160 yards came with 7 minutes left in the first half, staking the Braves to a 34-0 lead.

The senior speedster finished with 216 yards on 13 carries as Class 5A Lake Gibson routed Class 4A Auburndale, 48-7, at Bruce Canova Stadium in front of a sparse crowd of 400.

"He's got great vision, and he does a great job of finding little seams," Lake Gibson coach Keith DeMyer said.

The 67-yard score came on a sprint draw play.

"My fullback gave me the spring block," said Powell, now with 1,056 yards in six games.

Lake Gibson, 4-2, built a 41-0 lead at the half over the 1-5 Bloodhounds.

The Braves' defense held Auburndale to zero yards in the first half, and 77 for the game, with cornerback Javae Ingraham returning a Demarcus Davis interception 58 yards for Lake Gibson's second touchdown.

Lake Gibson quarterback Breshawn Barnes tossed three touchdowns, one each to John Tremblay, Brodie Bulloch and Corey Colbert, while connecting on 8-of-10 passes for 155 yards.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

in addition to DB, Bilal also played WR last year....its crazy man, every since i graduated that school puts out stud running back after stud running back.  I've seen him play every game this year.  He has unbelievably explosive speed....ive seen very few RBs hit the hole faster than him.  once he breaks it, its pretty much lights out.  ive only seen him get caught from behind 1 time all season.

what i would like to see more than anything is Roger Frazier, Matts favorite high school target, finally get the grades to play here.  he was on the doorstep of being with us, his grades stopped him however last year.  he was at hutchinson community college last year, and led the nation for JUCO in all purpose yards.  not sure where he is now however.  anyone know?

I hear that there is still a chance ... but not sure how much of a chance ... and heard a a while ago, nothing this season.

LAKELAND -- Lake Gibson made one simple adjustment at halftime and buried Osceola in the second half en route to a 35-16 victory at Virgil Ramage Stadium on Friday night.

The win likely puts the Braves (5-2, 1-1) in the playoffs. Osceola has to defeat top-ranked Lakeland in two weeks to cause a three-way tie.

``We feel great about making the playoffs,'' said Braves coach Keith DeMyer, who assumes Lakeland will prevail over Osceola, giving the Kowboys their second loss in the district and leaving Lake Gibson in the runner-up spot.

Down 16-7 at half, DeMyer decided to run weakside-counter plays in the second half with his top back, Bilal Powell, who took full advantage with 181 second half yards in front of about 1,000 fans.

``I didn't say much, we just decided to run to their weak side,'' DeMyer said.

Powell, who finished with three touchdowns and 203 yards rushing, used the first counter play to run up the middle untouched for a 42-yard touchdown that cut the Kowboys (5-2, 1-1) lead to 16-14 with 7:55 left in the third quarter.

With momentum on their side, Lake Gibson countered with an 89-yard, 15-play drive that was culminated by quarterback BreShawn Barnes' 1-yard sneak that put the Braves up, 21-16, early in the fourth quarter.

``It helps when you have (Powell) to hand the ball off to,'' DeMyer said.

Powell put the game out of reach when he outran the Kowboys' defense up the sideline 71 yards in the fourth quarter for his third score of the game, putting the Braves ahead, 28-16, with 6:53 left in the game.

Lake Gibson will play at Bucholz next Friday. Osceola faces Lakeland on Oct. 27.