• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rumor Weed Growing...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

Why do these threads keep popping up? "My uncle's brother-in-law's boss told me..." -- get a brain, people. USF is strapped for cash. Have you not noticed the cutbacks from the state funding system? The hiring freezes? Where do you think we're going to get the tens upon tens of millions of dollars to purchase a mall?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Why do these threads keep popping up? "My uncle's brother-in-law's boss told me..." -- get a brain, people. USF is strapped for cash. Have you not noticed the cutbacks from the state funding system? The hiring freezes? Where do you think we're going to get the tens upon tens of millions of dollars to purchase a mall?

Ask UCF?

Glimcher, the current owner of University Mall, is selling a second mall with it - and they will not split the malls.  So, if USF wants to buy University mall they will have to buy a second mall and sell it.

While I don't believe that USF is looking at buying this, or should, I'm certain that Glimcher would sell it if USF made an appropriate offer.  Glimcher might want to sell them as a package, but if they can't sell them together, they'll do it separately.

Not according to the Mall's manager, Tom Locke.  He told me personally that Glimcher would continue to operate the mall unless it can sell them both.  Despite what we all believe, University Mall continues to make a substantial profit.  Not to mention tenant stores are continuning to pour money to upgrade their facilities.

Bear in mind that Macy's, Dillard's (which is moving), Burlington Coat Factory, and Sears also own their respective buldings (and some surrounding property).  That adds more to the asking price.  USF would need to find about $200 million just for the land, plus tens of millions to remove the existing structures, plust tens of millions more to build new facilities - stadiums, dormitories, classroom buildings, whatever.

I have no doubt that many people at USF, from the Board of Trustees to various departments, are interested in the property.  Any time you can get that much land in one purchase - especially that close to the University - without any environmental issues... you have to be interested.

Heck, USF could subdivide the property and sell part of it off for condos and still have plenty of land for academic buildings and/or sports facilities.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

some big donor should pony up

Well ... since this is a rumor thread ... I am working on that.

(give me another 100 games ...or so)  :P

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

some big donor should pony up

Dash it all, you're too early. I need another 30 years! Jim Leavitt field at Faza Stadium with the Mat Ratner toilets is in the works!!

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Glimcher, the current owner of University Mall, is selling a second mall with it - and they will not split the malls.  So, if USF wants to buy University mall they will have to buy a second mall and sell it.

While I don't believe that USF is looking at buying this, or should, I'm certain that Glimcher would sell it if USF made an appropriate offer.  Glimcher might want to sell them as a package, but if they can't sell them together, they'll do it separately.

Not according to the Mall's manager, Tom Locke.  He told me personally that Glimcher would continue to operate the mall unless it can sell them both.  Despite what we all believe, University Mall continues to make a substantial profit.  Not to mention tenant stores are continuning to pour money to upgrade their facilities.

Bear in mind that Macy's, Dillard's (which is moving), Burlington Coat Factory, and Sears also own their respective buldings (and some surrounding property).  That adds more to the asking price.  USF would need to find about $200 million just for the land, plus tens of millions to remove the existing structures, plust tens of millions more to build new facilities - stadiums, dormitories, classroom buildings, whatever.

I have no doubt that many people at USF, from the Board of Trustees to various departments, are interested in the property.  Any time you can get that much land in one purchase - especially that close to the University - without any environmental issues... you have to be interested.

Heck, USF could subdivide the property and sell part of it off for condos and still have plenty of land for academic buildings and/or sports facilities.

No offense, Jim, but the mall manager is likely not involved in the sale, he's responsible for leasing the units and keeping it clean.  Given today's real estate environment, Glimcher would split them off if USF came knocking.  They may WANT to sell them as a pair, but business is business, and they'll take a realistic offer.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i have been gone 2 days and this is what is top thread

usf needs to win something to justify a stadium unless state gets generous and wants to buy usf a stadium

cdb pizza was the best

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

cdb pizza was the best

I used to work there.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Oh, how I do love these threads...     FIRST OF ALL, I wanna burn down that friggin steve and barry's in that dump... They are in "University" mall, 10 steps away from the friggin campus, and can I EVER FIND ANY FRIGGIN SOUTH FLORIDA STUFF IN THERE?!?!?! nooooooooo.  Sure they have every obscure team from middle east podunk university, but USF???  Think about it!   I say let's torch the place ourselves, let the schmuck owner get insurance money and we kindly offer to break his legs if he doesn't give us the land for free, just because he loves the UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA !!!!!!!  WE NEED TO BUILD ! SO GET THE HELL OUTTA OUR WAY !!!     ...whew, I feel better.

(rant #433)