• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

At 11-1, would USF be worthy of a BCS bowl?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,499
  • Days Won:  13

Lose to McNeese State, then win out and we are in a BCS Bowl.... ;D

lose to McNesse State and I'll kill myself

Sorry. That was just a joke. Please flsportsfan83, climb down from the Sunshine Skyway.....

I was thinking more of walking around suit case city at about 3am wearing my fathers rolex.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

You know Joe, I don't havta post here at all brother Bull.   All I will say is "if you don't like what's on the radio/TV, turn the station."  I'm glad you are so grounded and have a criteria for what topics can be posted per the calender date but I thought it was a relevent question since the media is touting UL & WVU as the only teams with any strength in the BE.  And I haven't started a topic in a while and felt like doing so.  Next time I'll try & do better.  Could you do me a favor Joe...post the rules for posting criteria by date so I'll know the precise rules.  Oh and Joe, next time if you don't like the **** topic/post/poll, don't click or post to it.  That's what I'd do.

I was simply making the point that these are the posts that lead to guys like Smazza and TurkeySoup being total a-holes about the program down the line.

If you wanted to show relative strength of the BE you could have easily said can 2 BE teams make the BCS, etc.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Just wanna read some other takes on why we aren't or are worthy.   I'd rather kick this topic around instead of wondering if Ponton is suspended for drugs/team rules hypothetically or just having a bad preseason.  My point is that the media is expecting UL & WVU to be 1 & 2 in the BE.  The national perception is that the BE is WVU & UL and the rest.  Now last yr no one expected USF to beat UL but they did.  The media isn't seeing that WVU plays @Pitt & @UL and traditionally they choke a game away.  I know 'cuz I hear about every season from my Dad who is from Oceana, WV.  In '05 they were lucky vs. UL and came back.  The Pitt game is alway a tuff one too.  

Now if USF can repeat one major upset vs. UL or WVU, do you believe our Bulls should be eligibile and why?  That was the question.  I didn't write that all of USF's other games are vs. very defeatable foes b/c we all know it and we all know CJL chokes one away game a season.  So what if the reality check is that our Bulls are prolly destined for a 7-6 finish including a bowl.

Nobody knows how Matt Grothe will play.  Don't fool yourselves either, he's getting reps all season even if he doesn't beat PJ out.  Same as UL did two seasons ago the senior/freshman duo.  If the Bull DL is the third best in the BE, the LB & DBs stay healthy, the O can maintain possession of the ball better than the national average, score 21 points a game on average (See OL play.), IMO this Bull D could statistically be one of the best in 10 seasons.  BTW, I don't read smazza nor t'soups posts.

There is one X factor reguarding this season is that Thed W. & Tav. R are redshirted.  This, to me, means CJL thinks he can go .500 in '06 w/o them and he's loading up for '07 with a second yr. QB & RB, a D that returns 10 starters and is one MFN deep defense except for maybe LB and nearly all of it's OL.  Would, could CJL such a thing?  I don't know but I don't understand the redshirt issue if TW & TR have academics that are in line.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

JL played two years ago for last year knowing we could compete in the BE.

Compete, not win.  This year I think we can again compete, not win.

BCS? Not a chance with one loss. That loss would have to come from Louisville or West Virginia and one of them be undefeated and the rest of the BCS bowl teams would have to lose two or more.

That also is NOT going to happen. It still comes back to the strength of schedule and the perception of the BE being a weak conference.

Having said that, let the BE win three or four bowl games, and...

Would JL load up for next year?

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

I know 'cuz I hear about every season from my Dad who is from Oceana, WV.

And why, pray tell is there an "Oceana" in West Virginia?  :-?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Or go better than 5-14 against other BCS teams.

Here's the thing with the BE and perception. In 2004 several has WVU going undefeated because their schedule was weak and were coming of a season with young starters who almost knocked off Wisonsin and was about 30 seconds away from beating Miami..they ended up 8-4

Louisville went 11-1 in 2004 and was projected by many to be a national title contender in 2005 because of their weak schedule...they went 9-3.

The question is what WVU will play this season? The one for the 1st Quarter and 1/2 against Georgia or the one that let UGA come back from 28 down to make it a competitive game.

In my opinion WVU will lose a game this year. They have no passing offense and there will be a game where SOMEONE will make them have to throw the ball to win. As good as White was as a Redshirt Frosh. He wasn't a very good passer.

I think Louisville ends up winning the conference.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765

We could be BE champs at 11-1 and that would be worthy of a BCS bowl.   Not likely to happen and that does not get us close to the championship game, but it is possible.   That is why they play the games.   No one knows what is going to happen and that funny looking ball can do some strange bounces.  

Overall at this point I feel better about this team than last years.   It will be nice if that is still true at the end of the season.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

Agreed.  

If the loss/losses come from ranked teams, such as Louisville vs. Miami two years ago, that's not so bad. No, I'm NOT saying a loss is ok. Lose against some lower tier team and the entire conference gets drawn down because I believe the top four or five teams will be competitive in the conference.

The comparison will come from games outside the conference. If we play and beat each other the perception is still the same.

I also believe one loss will win the conference and two losses wil be tied at second and third.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no

\

big east too weak

sos for usf isnt very good

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

however- the advantage of playing cards and wv last 2 games is that they may have key injuries since it is so late in season

however same appies to usf

so usf needs to get lucky