• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Aaron Gresham

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

header_left_bg.gif

Young man on fire

By JOHN PATTON

Sun high school sports editor

August 20. 2006 6:01AM

MAYO - As a player, assistant and head coach Joey Pearson has been around Lafayette High School for two decades. So, when he calls Aaron Gresham "maybe the most productive player I've ever seen here", he's not speaking in hyperbole.

"He does everything we've ever asked of him, offensively, defensively, special teams, you name it," Pearson said. "Sometimes, it's like he does the work of three guys."

The statistics don't lie.

In addition to being a quality blocker and intermediate receiving threat at tight end, the 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior was named The Gainesville Sun's co-small-school defensive player-of-the-year in 2005 (along with former Union County linebacker Kevin Alexander) after recording 137 tackles, 21 tackles for loss and 10 sacks.

He will resume those roles this year and also is expected to see some time in the backfield when the Hornets (11-1 in 2005) go big.

And colleges have taken notice.

Gresham said he has scholarship offers from South Florida, Central Florida, Louisville, Akron and Florida International (Pearson said he thinks Sugar Bowl champion West Virginia is close, too), all to play linebacker. He said he probably will choose between UCF and USF sometime in the fall, and his hope is to also play baseball (he has been one of the area's top catchers since he was an eighth-grader).

Pearson said whoever signs Gresham not only will be getting an athlete who has been clocked at 4.73 in the 40 by Lafayette coaches and bench presses 275 pounds, they'll also get a coach on the field.

"He's a super kid and a natural born leader," Pearson said. "His motor never stops and he's very physical. Most of the time, he's also a cheerleader who has the authority to get on players when needed.

"He is the quintessential team player and he raises the level of everybody around him. He practices and plays harder than anyone.

"He's like a madman out there."

Pearson added that if Gresham is working with the scout team defense against the first team offense, he often makes gaining yards difficult.

"They hate to see him over there," Pearson said with a laugh.

Teammates agree that Gresham, while laid back most of the time, is about as fiery a person as there is when he's in pads.

"He's a good, humble guy, but he's not the kind to let things slide by," said 6-3, 230-pound defensive end Darren Powe, who has drawn interest from UCF and USF. "He's a really talkative guy who helps all of us get going."

Gresham said he's always been that way.

"Ever since I can remember, I've tried to go out and do the best I can on the football field," Gresham said. "Good things happen when you do that."

Contact John Patton at 374-5074 or pattonj@gvillesun.com.

Story Link

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Pearson said whoever signs Gresham not only will be getting an athlete who has been clocked at 4.73 in the 40 by Lafayette coaches and bench presses 275 pounds, they'll also get a coach on the field.

Not too too impressive.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

why would he ever choose ftu/ou/oc over usf or other good bcs schools?

Sounds like he may like the "local" attractiveness of both schools...at least they're in state.

And as you may be leading to smazza, he may not be very interesting to UF,FSU, Miami, opening the door for a knock on USF by you..   >:(

Where is Lafayette HS?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

Where is Lafayette HS?

It's in Mayo  ;)

Seems like it's in the Big Bend area.

It's in Mayo  ;)

Seems like it's in the Big Bend area.

Okay...where is Mayo or the Big Bend?

Seriously, I've been gone longer than you...   ;)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Not too too impressive.

????  You need to get your head out of the clouds.  If that is a true time then that's plenty fast enough for a HS player particularly for a kid that is 220lbs.  Those 4.5's and 4.6's you read about are urban myths, I've seen some first hand, kids running 38 yards, coaches hand timing....few kids truly run a 4.5 but internet gurus and posters think that's the norm.

If this kid is a legit 4.7 guy at his size, weight, and strength then that's good.   If he can get to USF, add weight and get to about 240lbs but keep around that speed (with USF's speed training and conditioning that could happen) then that will be good.

I will lay down a bet with you that Ben Moffitt isn't faster than 4.7!  And he may walk away from USF in two years as our best MLB ever- and that's saying A LOT!

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bien, don't you know! These days if they don't run 4.4's they suck...I don't even think 40 time is really worth a ****. While it can show how fast one is, it doesn't show reaction time, etc.

It's a shame so many base a player's ability on a 40 time, because it really isn't as big a deal as many make it to be. Paul Posluzny was a 3-4 start OLB based on his speed alone, how many teams would want that guy now?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sbien-i thought bulliever was being sarcastic

those are excellent numbers as you point out

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

????  You need to get your head out of the clouds.  If that is a true time then that's plenty fast enough for a HS player particularly for a kid that is 220lbs.  Those 4.5's and 4.6's you read about are urban myths, I've seen some first hand, kids running 38 yards, coaches hand timing....few kids truly run a 4.5 but internet gurus and posters think that's the norm.

If this kid is a legit 4.7 guy at his size, weight, and strength then that's good.   If he can get to USF, add weight and get to about 240lbs but keep around that speed (with USF's speed training and conditioning that could happen) then that will be good.

I will lay down a bet with you that Ben Moffitt isn't faster than 4.7!  And he may walk away from USF in two years as our best MLB ever- and that's saying A LOT!

Wow… calm down killer.  While I particularly wasn’t paying too much attention to the 40 time, you know that they are timed more than once and thus reporting the best time.  But, at 220lbs and only benching 275… not all too powerful (it also means he isn’t all that weak).

And obviously you don’t know Moffitt’s 40 time so why bet.  However, I don’t know too many great MLB’s in the NFL that run 4.7.  I bet he is faster than 4.7.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way… I am not those “other†fans that criticize USF recruits… I’m just posting my opinion.

Bien, don't you know! These days if they don't run 4.4's they suck...I don't even think 40 time is really worth a ****. While it can show how fast one is, it doesn't show reaction time, etc.

It's a shame so many base a player's ability on a 40 time, because it really isn't as big a deal as many make it to be. Paul Posluzny was a 3-4 start OLB based on his speed alone, how many teams would want that guy now?

Unfortunately… many look at the 40 time.