• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF: overachieved or underachieved?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

We underachieved in that we had a GREAT defense and a GREAT back and we were 6-6.  

We all know what the missing piece is/was.  Unfortunately I don't think we have an answer on this roster for that problem, even after all these years of horrible QB play.  

The root of the problem may not be with the talent on the roster.  I believe the "missing piece" lies elswhere.

You are an idiot, and anyone else that buys into this ridiculous, thinking.  Do you have any idea that this program was 1-AA five years ago.  Do you think BCS caliber players just grow on trees, and jump at the opportunity to play at USF?  Do you think just because you recruit a BCS caliber athlete, say like a Richard Clebert, they just stumble on campus at 18 years old capable of dominating against opponents that throw 22 and 23 year old offensive linemen at him that have been playing for four years against top level competition, can bench a bus, and are cagy and bigger!!!  They must develop into players just like our opponents and sometimes that can take 2 to 3 years.

Do you think that USF gets a BCS moniker and suddenly 100 years of UF football doesn't matter to FL kids?  Are some of you so ignorant like turkey to suggest that despite going up against opponents almost weekly the past 7 years with USF having inferior overall talent, and yet still managing to win many more than he's lost, that problems lie with Leavitt?  The fact we win with defense and special teams demonstrates superior coaching, frankly great offenses are products of great talent, and we're still developing those guys.  I think a kid like Taurus Johnson is going to be sensational and is definitely a BCS talent  (8 BCS offers out of HS, including at one time a UF one), but he doesn't just come out of HS sensational they need to work.  Hell, even Chad Jackson at UF barily played as a freshman....

I understand some underachieving on offense and disappointments, but to many of you are disappointed because you're spoiled.  You've watched our coach almost land the Brent Schaeffers, and Cornelius Ingrams of the world when conventional wisdom should tell everyone we shouldn't even be on their radar screen.  You watched us go in down 10-0 at the half to #3 Oklahoma in 2002, or wallop #9 UL at home, and you think it all just comes easy.  Conventional wisdom says we should be struggling just like FAU, UCF, and FIU with our transition.  That it shouldn't be this easy.  Don't be so **** spoiled that you miss the forrest through the trees.  

There are areas of improvement that are necessary, but I don't believe anyone can rationally call Leavitt's program underachieving for say another 3-4 more years.  After he's had the ability to consistently recruit at the 1-A level with the BCS moniker, after he's had the cash, and resources at his disposal for 5-7 years that all his competition has had for the past 40-50 years.  I can understand being disappointed with play calling, or recruiting, but overall, given the severe limitations and struggles Leavitt has had to overcome, nothing he has done to this point is nothing short of a miracle, and could never be construed as 'under-achieving' except by some ignorant internet fan demanding more than they conceivably know is possible.

As for marketing, and management like Minotaur states, that's fine, sure in some areas we've underachieved, and those areas clearly fall under definite scrutiny.  But for anyone to suggest, or presume that Leavitt and this USF Football program (I am only talking football here) hasn't over-achieve is crazy!

Ditto....;)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I predicted last year that we'd be playing in the Car Care Bowl.  That being said no one saw the Louisville game as a blowout victory, and no one saw the UConn game as a heartbreaking loss.  We basically beat the teams we were supposed to and lost against the ones we were supposed to.  

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

SBien

For all the luv you are giving Leavitt, IMO, just to be argumentive, Leavitt's teams have performed below expectations on the road overall.  If it wasn't for the great 3 yr home stand in which Leavit was playing mostly w/D1A tweener players vs. D1AA or lousy D1a teams we would all not be so happy 'bout CJL.  Those teams caught a few teams off guard too.  But I digress...

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

IMO, just to be argumentive, Leavitt's teams have performed below expectations on the road overall.

Who's expectations?

I don't understand how people justify the logic that such a young program should be playing in the Superbowl, and World Series every year.

We (and by "we" I mean Jim and company) are doing a great job, and if you guys don't see that then you'll just never truely understand.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

NAM37,

Just for the record, I agree, CJL has done a fine job but sometimes its engaging to be argumentative.  All I was pointing out is most of his failures are the result of road game insufficiencies or falling short of a missed opportunity as in UCONN '05, UL '04, USM '04, ugly win at ECU '04, SC, AL, SDSU, KY, TSU, Hofstra, Baylor, GA Southern to name a few.  Some of these were near misses against great talent which I refer to but a missed op never the less.  After 9 seasons, the trend is CJL is going to lose one game on the road a yr he should have or will be blown out by a team USF was expected to be competitive with.  IMO, one mistake/bad game a season makes a good coach.  The great coaches have that type thing happen only 2 or 3 times a decade.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765

It all depends on the time span.   With only ten years of football and we are in a BCS conference with a winning record.  Who would have thought...

The last few years with our offensive woes following on the heals on the great success we had with MB.

Who would have thought...

With any luck we are on the verge of our next overachieving phase!

But in any case we have little to complain about.   We have come a long way and are rich with possibilities.   Just that we have a team at all is huge.  

IT IS GREAT TO BE A USF BULL.