• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How to schedule OCC games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Currently we have these options ...

1. Play big teams AWAY

2. Play smaller teams at HOME

3. Continue to get more Home & Away series

A. Too many 4get that we played PSU & UM away last year.

B. We have UCF, Kansas & UNC - 2 outta 3 BCS, remember - the 12th game was just added by NCAA.

C. We have Auburn(Away) & UNC(Home) in 2007(Both BCS) with 3 more games to be filled.

:P

option one is the way to go

It's not the way to go if those "big teams" aren't coming to RJS at any point in time.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

FSU became famous under Bowden because OF their big wins AWAY from Tallahassee.

Became famous would be anything before 1987 (the start of Bobby Bowden's streak of Top 5 AP finishes).

Bowden made FSU the first (and maybe only) Road Warrior Team.

I am not sure that is entirely accurate -- I think it is a combination of consistent winning seasons and winning a few big games at home or on the road.

FSU traveled to LSU SEVEN TIMES under Bowden...while LSU played in Tally only once (Bowden is 7-1 vs the Tigers, losing only once in Death Valley)

Four times from 1979 - 1983.  Also, this is not as impresive as it would seem - LSU's record from 1979 - 1983 was 29-26-2.

What's your malfunction?

Are you saying FSU wasn't "famous" before 1987?

What is your point?

FSU became famous when they went 21-1 during the 1979 and 1980 regular seasons and their first ever back-to-back Orange Bowl bids.

Then...Bowden had them on a roll for about the next 25 years.

Bowden played Auburn NINE times before 1991....then, when Auburn/FSU signed a new contract, it was Tommy Tubberville who CANCELED that series.

Can't recall any other teams traveling to Lincoln for 4 straight games and ZERO home games.

Again...talk to any college football "fan", from the late 70's through the 80's and early 90's, and they will tell you why/how FSU become famous.

KL

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

how are season ticket sales going for bulls this year?

it is amusing seeing usf fans knocking fsu's formula for success!

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

In the end, I don't think FSU's success can really be attributed to winning on the road against big name opponents.

(You should use the FSU official site for your statistics.)

Jim, I remember you saying you were a Seminole fan in a past life, so I believe most of what you say about them. However, I read Bowden's book (can't remember the name) where he said that beating the big boys is what got Florida State in the national map.

He said it was the same formula that Gene Corum used at WVU to build that program for a few years.

My "malfunction" is that you (and others) claim that FSU became a prominent team because they would play anyone anywhere.

THAT IS SIMPLY NOT THE CASE.

They became a prominent team because they developed talent and were able to win.

Yes, they went 21-1 by playing a cupcake schedule. Their only game against a team that finished in the AP Top 20 in 1978 and 1979 was a 16-41 loss @ San Diego State.

1980 was really their first solid year - they won @ Nebraska by 4 pts (finished #9 on the AP Top 20) & @ Miami by 1 (#19) - but a win is a win.  At home, FSU beat Pitt for Homecoming (Pitt's only loss and they finished #2).

They followed that up with a 6-5 season, with losses at Nebraska (#11), at Pittsburgh (#4), and at home to Miami (#8) - among others.

You're also wrong about traveling to Lincoln.  It was TWICE, not FOUR times.

So, how was this "rise to prominence" done on the road again??

Perhaps your recollection of 30 years ago isn't quite correct.

In the end, I don't think FSU's success can really be attributed to winning on the road against big name opponents.

(You should use the FSU official site for your statistics.)

Jim, I remember you saying you were a Seminole fan in a past life, so I believe most of what you say about them. However, I read Bowden's book (can't remember the name) where he said that beating the big boys is what got Florida State in the national map.

He said it was the same formula that Gene Corum used at WVU to build that program for a few years.

Nope. Never been a Seminole fan.

Bowden may have been right, but he really only beat the big boys in one season early in his career.  He did have a lot more success in the late 80s and early 90s.  There's a difference.  

When people claim that FSU got to the top by playing big teams, I disagree.  They really didn't start beating big teams until they were already on top (from 1987 on).

I think we can say that FSU was able to finish in the Top 5 of the AP poll every year because they won big games -- but a lot of them were at home (or against Florida & Miami).  Maybe I need to track that, in case I am wrong.  

I would also say that there is a difference between being in the upper echelon according to the polls, and being on the "national map".  Perhaps Bowden was referring to when FSU started gaining a national following and was able to recruit nationally.  Now, if that is the case, then I would have no choice but to agree with him (and you and KnightLight).

But I still maintian they rose to the upper echelon by following another formula.

I'm talking national Map...In 1977 they went 10-2 with a terrible schedule and finished 14th in the country behind 8-4 USC, 9-3 Nebraska, 9-3 Ohio State, and 8-4 Washington

Two years later and a couple bigger wins later they're 11-1 and ranked 6th.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I agree with Jim ... FSU got where it is mainly on great recruiting.

Look at all the other teams that play big names away - where are they nationally ? Fresno St, So. Miss, etc.

And you can not compare FSU's building to USF - it's a different college football world.

Nobody can do what USF has done is the last 10 years - FACT ! We'l' see where FIU & FAU are in 5 more years ... do not think anywhere near what USF has done.

Look at all the other teams that play big names away - where are they nationally ? Fresno St, So. Miss, etc.

And you can not compare FSU's building to USF - it's a different college football world.

Nobody can do what USF has done is the last 10 years - FACT ! We'l' see where FIU & FAU are in 5 more years ... do not think anywhere near what USF has done.

Fresno gets a lot of love! With an 8-5 record they received votes (Ranked 32 if you rank the also receiving)

While I'm not trying to take away what USF has built in 10 years because I don't think it will ever be replicated, it would have been impossible if we had started the team in 1990 or 1985, etc. College football has changed so much the last 15 years. Scholarship Limits were dropped which helped disperse the talent...but it wasn't til ESPN started showing so many games that the talent dispersed, because visibility of these once small schools got bigger...this eventually led to talent being spread enough for schools like Norther Illinois to knock off Alabama at home.

It's hard to imagine, but there was a time where a MAC team being on TV was because they were playing at Ohio State...

The reality is while USF and Leavitt did have a lot to do with the rise of this program, the timely was extremely lucky on our side...There will never be another team that will replicate what USF did.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

EVERY other program that is highlighted for their success has had decades to do it.

USF has done great for the amount of time they've doing it, and while they have had many fortunate breaks fall their way, they have taken good advantage of most if not all of them.