• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It's Official... Rocky II

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

will debut in 2007.

I know this has been mentioned before, but this is the first time that USF has said that it WILL happen in 2007.  There's a picture of the bull's head on the first page on the Times website (http://www.tampabay.com/)

USF gets a raging bull in Rocky II

The real bull will make his debut in 2007 when he’s big and intimidating enough.

By Shannon Colavecchio-Van Sickler, Times Staff Writer

Published July 6, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA  No bull, it’s official: The University of South Florida has a live mascot.

Rocky II, a Brahman bull calf from Riverview, is the new face of USF athletics.

“Any time you can say you literally run with the bulls, it’s going to be a good time,†Kosha Irby,  assistant athletic director of marketing and event management, said Thursday.

Riverview rancher Robert Newsome donated the bull after meeting USF alumnus John Massaro, a local Beef O’

Brady’s franchise owner who has tried for months to make his dream of a live mascot come true.

“The last two years, whenever I’ve gone to the football games, I’ve envisioned the bull there,†said Massaro, 40, who lives in Tampa and grew up in Brandon. “I would see Rocky running across the field.â€Â

Officials say the timing of Rocky II’s arrival is ideal, given the continued development of the football program. The USF Bulls played late last year in their first bowl game, the Meineke Car Care Bowl against N.C. State.

But Rocky II is not quite 5 months old and weighs a mere 200 or so pounds, so don’t expect to see him before the 2007 football season.

For now, Rocky II is at Newsome’s ranch in southern Hillsborough, preparing to join the ranks of college mascots like Bevo the Texas Longhorn and Ralphie the Colorado Buffalo.

USF’s  current mascot, now known as Rocky I, is a human in a furry gray bull costume. USF officials have long pondered a real Rocky the Bull. But the stars didn’t line up until Massaro stepped in, said Irby.

In recent weeks, Massaro and USF officials reached an agreement that makes Rocky II the mascot, as long as Massaro gets someone to care for the bull.

Massaro is trying to arrange for a high school agriculture program, such as Durant, to care for Rocky II.

Irby said the safety of students, players and staff will be the first priority when planning Rocky II’s public appearances, but they haven’t worked out the details.

Newsome said he chose this particular calf because “this calf’s a little bit nicer than others.â€Â

Todd Thrift, an assistant professor of cattle management at the University of Florida, said it’s a “popular myth’’ that Brahman bulls are inherently aggressive.

“Actually, some are very gentle,†he said. “They can be very docile if they have lots of exposure to people. If they’re handled gently, they will be fine.â€Â

Rocky II will grow to be as big as 2,000 pounds.

“He’ll be a big boy,†Newsome promised. “He’ll make those football players look small.â€Â

Oh, and what about Rocky I?

He’s not going anywhere, Irby said. Only now, he’ll have to share the spotlight.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/06/Tampabay/USF_gets_a_raging_bul.shtml

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  443

this is a great move to get the PR USF needs..cant wait for this to happen...

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

We love Rocky....both of you.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Best move USF has made in a long time.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Great news!! I cannot wait to see Rocky-II on the sidelines.

In recent weeks, Massaro and USF officials reached an agreement that makes Rocky II the mascot, as long as Massaro gets someone to care for the bull.

Massaro is trying to arrange for a high school agriculture program, such as Durant, to care for Rocky II.

<------ He kinda looks like my dad.

USF should develop on on campus program to care for Rocky II, similar to the ones at other schools. Have a four year volunteer program that starts with feeding and shoveling and ends with students on field with R-II. It would be a great opportunity to develop student involvement and who wouldn't love a real Bull on campus?

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Yeah build a real Bullspen on-campus. Was that picture actually Rocky or just some generic picture of a Bull.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I believe that's the actual bull.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Was that picture actually Rocky or just some generic picture of a Bull.

I asked myself the same question... but then I saw the "baby" face and the lack of horns…

I assume that it is Rocky II since he’s 5 months old and 200 lbs.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642

little bull!

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

TSA will shut it down.