• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hill's QB Days Over at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I guess this speaks to the coach's estimation of his decision-making abilities...

USF's Hill Still On Team, But He Won't Be The QB

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jul 1, 2006

TAMPA - University of South Florida sophomore Carlton Hill's career at the school isn't over, but his days playing quarterback for the Bulls are done.

The most highly regarded recruit in program history, Hill was arrested Monday night on misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana.

A USF police spokesman said Hill was among five men arrested in a dormitory apartment. Hill was the only member of USF's football program, although former players Devon Davis and Drametrice Smith also were arrested.

"People in the community know how I feel about these situations," Bulls coach Jim Leavitt said. "I'm supportive of Carlton and we'll look into this, let it run its course and then make a decision on his future."

If Hill is allowed to remain at USF, it won't be at quarterback. Hill has been moved to wide receiver, leaving freshman Matt Grothe and senior Pat Julmiste battling for the starting position. Former quarterback Grant Gregory, a transfer from Indiana last season who was moved to safety, will move back to quarterback.

Hill, who picked USF over Miami out of Monticello Jefferson High, played sparingly last season at quarterback and wide receiver, but was named USF's starting quarterback by Leavitt entering spring drills. However, he missed most of spring practice because of academic problems and lost his starting position.

Hill could not be reached for comment.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBS68GD3PE.html

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not coming on here to start a smack match, but does this embarrass any of you guys??  These type of incidents are occurring much too often for USF, and they continue to be tolerated!

I understand kids make mistakes, but this is a pretty big strike two.  If I am the president of The University of South Florida, I am bringing the old ball coaches in to my office and saying "If this kind of news hits the paper one more time, you're out!"

You guys really do get a lot of bad press.  Again, not a flame, but I think some of your boosters should start to take some action.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not coming on here to start a smack match, but does this embarrass any of you guys??  These type of incidents are occurring much too often for USF, and they continue to be tolerated!

I understand kids make mistakes, but this is a pretty big strike two.  If I am the president of The University of South Florida, I am bringing the old ball coaches in to my office and saying "If this kind of news hits the paper one more time, you're out!"

You guys really do get a lot of bad press.  Again, not a flame, but I think some of your boosters should start to take some action.

Very reasonable post. I think that alumni, fans, and the administration should feel very ashamed for the actions of our student-athletes that engage in this kind of behavior. I think staff members need to have more accountability in these situations. This way they might take more action in mitigating such behavior in the first place in fear of their job.

This is not how USF Athletics needs to get their name in the news. We need to get our name out there by winning championships!

As always.....GO BULLS!!!

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Spare us the lecture.

Thanks and have a nice day.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Yes, your post was intended as a flame.

Hill's "strike one" occurred when he was still in HS. The "strike two" is pretty serious, but smoking pot occurs on every team in the country. The coaching staff, if not the university, will take appropriate action. I find it a bit of an insult that you say these things are "tolerated".

The bright spot to this is that the truest QB we have, Matt Grothe, will be ready to go this summer.

No.. it's a valid question.  Our players have kept their noses pretty clean the last few years.  The players that have been convicted of crimes while here or continue to break rules are asked to leave.

Do the coaches take chances?  Yes.  That said, I think that we are going to be able to be much more selective as we continue to improve as a program.

Also, keep in mind that players doing bad things will get printed much more readily than players doing good things.

Excellent post.

The punishment should commensurate with the crime.  I love all the yahoos that come out the woodwork and ask for that player to be dismissed b/c of a simple misdeamenor or before all the facts come out. I remember the idiots asking for Jackie Chambers to be dismissed because he got into a fight defending his dorm. Where all these people when he was completely cleared of all charges and found to done nothing wrong.

Hill has reached a cross roads in his life. He can take advantage of the huge opportunity he is letting slip away or he can wake up and start acting like a young man. If he sticks with the program it's b/c Leavitt thinks he can still reach the kid. Sure he is a great talent, but so was Peyton.

BTW, Peyton was shown the door and held accountable, so some people can spare us the lectures on how to run our program. 99% of our kids are good kids. Unfortunately that other 1% get all the publicity.

Yes, your post was intended as a flame.

Hill's "strike one" occurred when he was still in HS. The "strike two" is pretty serious, but smoking pot occurs on every team in the country. The coaching staff, if not the university, will take appropriate action. I find it a bit of an insult that you say these things are "tolerated".

The bright spot to this is that the truest QB we have, Matt Grothe, will be ready to go this summer.

It's obvious these people have an agenda for them to imply that USF is the only program that has these kinds of problems.

If Hill is allowed to stay on the team it won't be b/c USF needs him at QB, b/c the decision to move him to WR has been made. USF is stacked at WR and Hill wouldn't be guaranteed playing time. Thus if if Hill does stick it's b/c Leavitt's thinks the kid can be reached and still has an opportunity to make somethign of himself on and off the field.

The easy thing would be to cut the player. It would be more of an accomplishment if the coach tries to help the young man straighten out his life. Fortunately, Leavitt doesn't care what people think of him. He knows that the majority of his players are good citizens and students. So if a few idiots want to cast stones so be it.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i think hill is done at usf

leavitt should be done

what in the world are cops doing at the dorms?

who called them?

sounds like a set up