• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on Cardieri and Prado

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Turkey do you know anything about college baseball? It is really FREAKING hard to trecruit kids to play at a school where your game can be postponed because of a snowstorm.

There is a reason why schools like Cal St - Fullerton, Pepperdine, and Rice can field good teams, because they are in warm weather climates that allow them to have a better setup.

Prado's record at Louisville a team that was aweful for years isn't bad considering where the team was located and the venue they played in.

Outside Nebraska and ND, name a school that from the north that has made noise in the NCAA tourny.

As for Pinella, No. He's not going to come coach college baseball where he'd have to recruit, make sure he's following all NCAA rules, and be paid 100,000 a year.

Lets be reasonable in our candidates.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

As for Pinella, No. He's not going to come coach college baseball where he'd have to recruit, make sure he's following all NCAA rules, and be paid 100,000 a year.

Lets be reasonable in our candidates.

Lou doesn't need the cash and coaching college in his hometown may be preferable at this point in his career.  I think that his name, alone, would give him a huge advantage in recruiting and as far as NCAA compliance, he has a staff that's responsible for that.

The big negative is that it may not be a long term gig.

There are probably other items that would make this a reach, but he certainly has strong ties to the area, follows USF (I've seen him at several hoops games) and can certainly coach.

Lou doesn't need the cash and coaching college in his hometown may be preferable at this point in his career.  I think that his name, alone, would give him a huge advantage in recruiting and as far as NCAA compliance, he has a staff that's responsible for that.

The big negative is that it may not be a long term gig.

There are probably other items that would make this a reach, but he certainly has strong ties to the area, follows USF (I've seen him at several hoops games) and can certainly coach.

Ricky, lets be serious. Lou can still get 3-4 million from a major league club if he chose to work again. College baseball is a year round job requiring recruiting game (constant calls, emails, texts), Making sure you, your coaches, and players are abiding by NCAA rules, and going from game to game in busses and living out of cheap hotels.

This would be like saying Gruden for coach of the Bulls if he were canned by the  Bucs. It probably won't happen.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

This would be like saying Gruden for coach of the Bulls if he were canned by the  Bucs. It probably won't happen.

Try a little lower, such as Gruden becoming the coach of any local (take your pick) high school team.

Whatever you wanna use. My point is there is NO WAY IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH that Pinella is coaching the baseball team.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

A lot of people here were saying we should hire Steve Spurrier as OC a couple of years ago.  I couldn't believe so many actually thought that would happen either?

It's not about if they need the $$$$$$$$$, it's about status!  People who have been that successfull and famous, aren't going to do something like this.

It's like a former President running for Mayor of Dunedin.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

But former president Bill Clinton will be running for First Lady in a couple years....

Probably not apples to oranges since he is likey doing it for all the fringe benefits and his unstatisfied yearning to help interns get their start.

We need someone hungry at the helm.  Someone who won't take the bench at USF relfecting on how successful they have already been.  I am against any of the former pro players or coaches and would like to see a guy with proven recruiting and coaching abilities that has yet to peak.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  260

Wheres Ari and Herm when you need em? EC was the one who brought in Leavitt bet they didnt know that!

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

ne more thing about Cardieri I found noteworthy Thursday: don't think his impact at USF was confined to Red McEwen Field. He and Jim Leavitt have known each other 35 years, since both were high school baseball players in St. Petersburg. Leavitt told me Thursday that it was Cardieri who first called him to tell him that USF was launching a football program. It was Cardieri who routinely clipped early USF football stories from newspapers and mailed them to Leavitt in Kansas. It was Cardieri who convinced Leavitt to come to Tampa and meet with Paul Griffin, long before the hiring process began.

"I can't say enough about Eddie. I love him,'' Leavitt said. "I wouldn't have been at the University of South Florida ... he was one of the key people. I think he's a great coach, and nobody can debate that. He's a very good man. I hope we in football can do what he's done in baseball. How many conference championships has he won? We never have (in football). We haven't won one."

Greg's Blog

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

HOLY FLURKINGSMIDT!! I HAD NO IDEA!! BRING HIM BACK!!