• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

TBO: USF, UM Finalize Series

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I think they have enough time to scrub the funk off of that big orange rat trap before we go down there again...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

USF-UF moves back to 2010

Posted May 10, 2006 at 10:33 PM

While UCF fans were crowing - and rightfully so - over the Golden Knights’ recent 3-game series with Texas, including one game in Orlando, USF’s deal with Miami for a second home-and-home series, reported in Thursday’s Tampa Tribune, is even more impressive.

The Bulls were able to get another home-and-home series with UM, even though the first series hasn’t been completed. Another home-and-home series with UM, plus a $500,000 buyout, should squash any fears UM will not make the return game to Tampa on Sept. 26, 2009. While USF was originally scheduled to play at Florida in 2009 and 2011, the 2009 USF-UF game has been moved back to 2010 so USF wouldn’t have to face UF and UM in a four-week span. Nobody’s dumb enough to play Florida and Miami in the same year (well, except for Florida State).

Anyway, USF will visit Florida Sept. 11, 2010 and Sept. 10, 2011, giving the Bulls a stretch of five consecutive years against an original Big Three opponent (UM 2009, UF 2010-11, UM 2012-13). Kudos should go to USF athletic director Doug Woolard and Coach Jim Leavitt for securing the second UM home-and-home series. And, also if you haven’t noticed, the Bulls are staying away from the one-time big-money road kill games - such as Oklahoma 2002, Arkansas 2002, Alabama 2003, etc. - and concentrating more on securing home-and-home series with BCS clubs (North Carolina, Kansas and UM). That’s benefit No. 412 for joining the Big East.

Brett's Blog

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

UM fans are asses and the majority of them never attended the school can you say band wagon fans

and i agree with you MUTT that $hit hole of a stadium is the worse in the nation

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

where are the woolard critics now?

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,291

Last time UM was here in Tampa in 1983-84 where they (JimmyJohnson and B.Kosar) beat UF  correct?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

if we step up and be conmsistant with wins

and if attendance cont to grow then we will have no problems scheduling mid and lower tier BCS teams for home and home's

woolard (selmon) and JL are smart, we and did not go down the killer schedule/road kill road and it has paid off

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Miami is a great game to sign 1 and 1's with.

However, they've signed 1 and 1's with La Tech and Houston in the past, and played 1 @ Temple this past season and are playing them at home this year so I'm not jumping on the we're scheduling great bandwagon just yet.

As nice as a soft schedule is playing teams like UNC and Kansas beating teams like them is not going to get any national attention. YOu gotta have that Bowden attitude, anyone anywhere. Look at Fresno State they have earned respect using that system and now they have 1 and 1's with Wisconsin, Oregon, and Kansas State three solid teams that have been to the BCS the last 5 years. They also have respect from the national media.

You gotta make a name for yourself before you can go pading schedules, I know Leavitt's mentor at KSU padded his schedules a lot and it cost him quite a few BCS births.

However, I do not want to see 2 for 1's like UCF not worth it, a 1 game at their place like UF's deal isn't bad in many instances.

Once you get established then you move on to the softer schedules.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Miami is a great game to sign 1 and 1's with.

However, they've signed 1 and 1's with La Tech and Houston in the past, and played 1 @ Temple this past season and are playing them at home this year so I'm not jumping on the we're scheduling great bandwagon just yet.

As nice as a soft schedule is playing teams like UNC and Kansas beating teams like them is not going to get any national attention. YOu gotta have that Bowden attitude, anyone anywhere. Look at Fresno State they have earned respect using that system and now they have 1 and 1's with Wisconsin, Oregon, and Kansas State three solid teams that have been to the BCS the last 5 years. They also have respect from the national media.

You gotta make a name for yourself before you can go pading schedules, I know Leavitt's mentor at KSU padded his schedules a lot and it cost him quite a few BCS births.

However, I do not want to see 2 for 1's like UCF not worth it, a 1 game at their place like UF's deal isn't bad in many instances.

Once you get established then you move on to the softer schedules.

SO JOE!  They have NEVER scheduled consecutive 1 and 1's with Houston, or LATECH....and before you go spouting out of your arse, as if you're the arbiter of good contract negotiations, remember that TEMPLE was a Big East team with Miami so they HAD TO PLAY HOME AND HOME against them.  Furthermore, when the Houston contract was signed and completed it was during a glorious time in Houston football history in the early 90's, David Klingler, Andre Ware (heisman winner), two BCS bowls....that wasn't a shot in the dark champ...during Houston's SWC days they were regulars in NYD bowls.  They never made it in the B12, and the rest is history.

Trust me, the reason why the schedule isn't already set is because we're slowly and methodically scheduling 1 and 1's with BCS programs we WANT to be affiliated with.  No more 2 for 1's, no more 3 for 1's, no more 1 and never come to RayJay.  You either go 1 and 1, or we walk away.  I expect by the end of this season, from what I heard we'll see our schedule set for the next 5 years, and mostly with similar 1-1 deals.

By the way, how in the hell did Leavitt's mentor's schedule padding cost him BCS berths?  You either win the conference and go to a BCS conference game or you don't.  Hard to ridicule a guy that took KSU to two BCS games, and 4 NYD games when he played in the same **** conference as Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.  

Get a grip man, Miami, and PSU last year.  No one is making 'softer' schedules, it's called "BALANCED" schedules Joe.  DUH!  No one wants to go do 2-3 road games a year exclusively against the likes of Texas, PSU, and MIami- it's suicidal and maddening.  AND we better get a return trip or it isn't worth our time.  I think this is a beautiful deal, and the $500k buyout is picture perfect.  A clear cut message from Miami saying they're very intrigued about the potential in this series.  USF is basically grabbing Miami and holding on to the series since UF and FSU are still reluctant (unless you want to travel to their slaughterhouses).

Bowden's attitude- don't make me frickin laugh Joe...we have had Bowden's attitude- PSU, Miami, Auburn, Alabama, ARK, Utah, Oklahoma- stop me when you've heard of these schools- but that was a different era, a different time.  We're BCS now Joe, so you must schedule and act accordingly.  If you do not want to do that then there are some small fry schools you can become a fan of willing to travel to BCS schools for no return trip.  I think playing Miami, Auburn, and UF in the future is playing anyone champ...not to mention we've got two top 10 teams in our conference.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bein

Don't accuse me of talking out of my rear...

08-28-2003: Miami 48 Louisiana Tech 9 - Shreveport, LA

09-18-2004: Miami 48 Louisiana Tech 0 - Miami, FL

That looks back to back on consecutive years to me...

The Temple game did not have to be played they added them before last season, there was not buy out games with the Big East and ACC...It was added because they lost FSU as an OOC opponent and needed someone to pick up.

Houston deal was signed in 1998, by Butch Davis who was friends with Kim Helton the coach at Hosuston at the time.

As for the Bowden Attitude, Bein I didn't say take FSU ROUTE...I said LOOK AT FRESNO STATE. I know it was a different era, thats why I didn't use FSU as an example...I used Fresno State, a program that 10 years ago was looked at as possibly being Demoted to I-AA.

My point was there is ONE top ten team and one fringe top 20 team in out conference. Louisville has beaten ONE team worth a **** since 2000 and it was the worst FSU team ever to step on the field in the Bowden Era. We NEED to make a name for ourselves, I am NOT saying play 3 road games at PSU, etc. But with 5 OOC games available who not start playing some big boys to get out name out there, those matchups last season were all set when we were I-AA/New I-A and willing to drop our pants to play a team like that. We have 4 games against nationally respected opponents over the next 6 seasons scheduled at this point. We also have FAU/FIU scheduled a few times. It's great that WE ARE BCS, but if your thinking other teams look at us as a BCS team at this point your mistaken.

My point is keep bringing the big boys, it will lead to better things for our program.